iMeter Solo and Energy Display

mfranzel

Hi all,

I purchased 4 iMeter Solo devices and the energy display device so I could monitor server energy usage in my home. Much to my surprise, they don't work very well with the ISY. From what I have read, all the ISY will show me is the energy usage, I have to query it myself and I have to reset it myself monthly or when needed. On top of that, the energy display doesn't connect at all.

Is there any way to make it work better?

Or even better, are there any other devices that integrate better into ISY for displaying energy used for certain outlets?

Thanks all!

Hi all,

I purchased 4 iMeter Solo devices and the energy display device so I could monitor server energy usage in my home. Much to my surprise, they don't work very well with the ISY. From what I have read, all the ISY will show me is the energy usage, I have to query it myself and I have to reset it myself monthly or when needed. On top of that, the energy display doesn't connect at all.

Is there any way to make it work better?

Or even better, are there any other devices that integrate better into ISY for displaying energy used for certain outlets?

Thanks all!

This device has been abandoned for quite sometime by Smartlabs and third party vendors. You can set up a program in the controller to update the Watts & KWH. As you noted there isn't a method to reset any of the values in the controller via programs.

You will also notice there isn't a easy method to assign a variable to the iMeter in hopes of doing something with the data.

As you also noted information from the Energy Display also can not be polled even though its available specifically the temperature even though the E-DOCS clearly state the data is available.

At this time your only recourse (IF) you wish to continue to use cheap plugin power meters is to use the various Z-Wave devices that support energy monitoring.

If this energy monitoring / energy management is more than a casual fad than you need to invest in a Brultech Green Eye Monitor (GEM).

The only reason I like the iMeter devices is because I can monitor individual outlets. I don't need energy monitoring on the whole house. Just my server rooms and media centers.

Are there better ZWave devices out there that can do this in a better fashion?

The only reason I like the iMeter devices is because I can monitor individual outlets. I don't need energy monitoring on the whole house. Just my server rooms and media centers.

Are there better ZWave devices out there that can do this in a better fashion?

I don't own any Z-Wave but a quick glance in the forums indicate a few members are able to monitor energy readings and also include them in programs using the various Z-Wave plugin modules.

Obviously if you don't have the hardware you will need to upgrade the controller so you can take advantage of the various brands that support energy monitoring.

As I don't suspect Smartlabs is interested in this area any longer given they haven't updated any of these devices or introduced further hardware that supports energy monitoring.

Quite sad really, considering they could have easily lead the market but instead squandered that role to others.

UDI has no intentions to spend any resources on either product. As Michel had indicated in another thread that supposedly both products are end of life.

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

I bought one for the same types of purposes to use with the ISY, not realizing they did not really support them.

You are a little further along than myself, never paired my monitor that does the washing machine to the base.

That base lasts forever as a temperature display though, I do not believe I have put batteries in it since new 3 years or so ago.

Would like to pair up the monitors so i could at least see them on it.

I bought one for the same types of purposes to use with the ISY, not realizing they did not really support them.

You are a little further along than myself, never paired my monitor that does the washing machine to the base.

That base lasts forever as a temperature display though, I do not believe I have put batteries in it since new 3 years or so ago.

Would like to pair up the monitors so i could at least see them on it.

I simply added the iMeters to the ISY then linked the display to each iMeter individually. It works... not great but it works. Not worth the money... I am probably sending it back.

I think I am going to do what Teken suggested and just get some Z-Wave energy monitors and use them with my alarm system. 

Does anyone know if I have the Z-Wave module installed if the Aeotec Smart Switch 6 or Smart Energy Meter will work with ISY the way the iMeter SHOULD work i.e. show energy used and calculate costs?

The smart switched do.  I believe the smart strip is not yet fully supported and is waiting for UD to implement multi-channel ZW, which apparently is imminent.  I also look forward to using the smartstrip.

I simply added the iMeters to the ISY then linked the display to each iMeter individually. It works... not great but it works. Not worth the money... I am probably sending it back.

I think I am going to do what Teken suggested and just get some Z-Wave energy monitors and use them with my alarm system. 

Hi

Its not clear if the following has been your experience, but it is mine:

-I am able to add the iMeterSolo (the plug other things plug into) to ISY.

-It reports power (w) and energy (kwh)

-I can set variables based on its current Watts but only based on =/>/</etc, I cannot populate a variable with its exact Watt value.

-As far as I can determine its value needs to be polled via a program on whatever interval is desired.  It does not seem to update automatically.

Thus, for programs looking for a power value between x and y, (such if an amplifier is in standby, or a single Zone is on, or if multiple zones are on (based on Watt value within known ranges)) it is useful.  

Is this consistent with your findings?

Archived