DIY Laser Etched KPL Custom Buttons

marcin

Here's the first fixture.  It holds the button tightly and keeps it aligned on the etcher.  I'm going to add some tabs that drop over the table on the etcher so that it can be aligned more easily.  The initial design is in the Fixtures directory on Git and I will push the revised one once it is tested.

You Sir, are my 2017 Super Hero . . .

Here's the first fixture.  It holds the button tightly and keeps it aligned on the etcher.  I'm going to add some tabs that drop over the table on the etcher so that it can be aligned more easily.  The initial design is in the Fixtures directory on Git and I will push the revised one once it is tested.

Let me know when you will have revised version. Now I need to find myself a 3D printer or does anybody knows a service that can print those for me?

I have posted a new version to the repository.  It has tabs on the edges to align it with the etcher's platform.  I also added notches in case anyone wants to use the rubber bands and grooves on the existing table to hold the plate.  The button fit is fairly tight but there is a little give to compensate for variations in Smarthome's molded parts.  

Next, I will work on a fixture for the double wide buttons.  It should be the same except for the opening...

If there is interest, I can print some of these for folks on the forum.  

post-4374-0-23154700-1483735660_thumb.png

post-4374-0-43524800-1483735918_thumb.jpg

post-4374-0-28547700-1483735929_thumb.jpg

I have posted a new version to the repository.  It has tabs on the edges to align it with the etcher's platform.  I also added notches in case anyone wants to use the rubber bands and grooves on the existing table to hold the plate.  The button fit is fairly tight but there is a little give to compensate for variations in Smarthome's molded parts.  

Next, I will work on a fixture for the double wide buttons.  It should be the same except for the opening...

I believe your going to receive a PM from me in the future regarding this template. Once again thank you so very much for taking the time to offer your hands on experience and effort in making this project so Plug & Play.

Is it safe to say if someone aligns the plastic template on the laser printer it will be pretty much centered?

I have posted a new version to the repository. It has tabs on the edges to align it with the etcher's platform. I also added notches in case anyone wants to use the rubber bands and grooves on the existing table to hold the plate. The button fit is fairly tight but there is a little give to compensate for variations in Smarthome's molded parts.

Next, I will work on a fixture for the double wide buttons. It should be the same except for the opening...

Great job. I wish I had your skills! Thanks for sharing this with everyone. Ill be sending you a PM and PayPal donation! Thank you

I believe your going to receive a PM from me in the future regarding this template. Once again thank you so very much for taking the time to offer your hands on experience and effort in making this project so Plug & Play.

Is it safe to say if someone aligns the plastic template on the laser printer it will be pretty much centered?

Thank you.  I'm glad to be able to help make this project easier to set up and run.  

Yes, if the plastic template is aligned on the machine, the button will be more or less centered.  There is a little bit of give to deal with slight variations in the buttons as well as engraver platforms but we are talking about roughly 0.010 inches or so.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update to everyone: 

I have working prototypes for both button sizes they fit the table and the buttons well although there are definately slight variances in the size of the buttons so some will be tighter than others but all he ones I have tested fit well enough to be aligned.

Work has kept me busy so I haven't had time to print out sets for everyone making requests or figure out costs but I will be doing that in the next week or two.  

Sorry for the delays!

stupid question, but why would I want to paint them?

I mean, if all I want is text in black. it's pretty good without pain.

Laser engraving does leave letters in gray-ish \ blak-ish color. I prefer to apply paint for universal nicer finish.

taking the protective layer on the laser tape just drive me crazy!

is there an easy way or I have to lose my mind for 5 minutes per button? :-)

you can use exacto knife with pointy blade to lift the corner. Perhaps little needle will work as well. 

• 3 months later...

I apologize for the lengthy absence.  The last few months have been packed with helping elderly family with health problems, helping them move to a new place, etc.  I have printed fixtures for the 6 people who indicated they were interested earlier in the thread.  Would you please PM me your shipping address so I can figure out shipping cost?  Also, if there is anyone else interested in me printing a set, please let me know.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update to everyone: 

I have working prototypes for both button sizes they fit the table and the buttons well although there are definately slight variances in the size of the buttons so some will be tighter than others but all he ones I have tested fit well enough to be aligned.

Work has kept me busy so I haven't had time to print out sets for everyone making requests or figure out costs but I will be doing that in the next week or two.  

Sorry for the delays!

Hey stmrocket -- can you upload the double-size button template to your github site?   I'm using the single-size button template; works great -- about to embark on some custom lettering for a double-size shortly.

Thanks!

Is there an STL for the fixture to hold the buttons or maybe even a Fusion 360 drawing?

Still want to get some button engraved, just keeps getting on a back burner.

I have some drawings files that I'll upload later for the double button.

Arw01 are you asking for something other than the jig for the single and double buttons? The single button is in the github repository found a few pages back in this thread. If something else can you be more specific?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hey stmrocket -- can you upload the double-size button template to your github site?   I'm using the single-size button template; works great -- about to embark on some custom lettering for a double-size shortly.

Thanks!

STL and SolidWorks files for the Double Button template are now in my repository.  I'm glad the template is working well for you!

Since people are looking for the templates, I will re-post this. Templates for single and double buttons are available in my GitHub repository: https://github.com/stmrocket/KPLButtons

Please feel free to contribute any buttons you would like to share by uploading them to the repository. If you are unsure how to do that or would like me to load them, just shoot me a PM!

I did need to adjust the drawing just slightly for the maker bot 2. It was just slightly to tight in the longer dimension and I couldn't get the last tab to get over the bed. So just a hair longer and it fit great.

Question: is ventilation a thing for this application? I wouldn't think so for something like wood but not sure what plastic the buttons are made out of. Thinking abs but not positive. My 2 concerns are setting off fire alarms in my building and general health safety.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Archived