Serial communication tool - Windows to ISY through PLMs

jimlamb1944

1.  I created a fixed IP number in ISY994 when I was doing port forwarding some time age, using an ATT gateway.

2. I changed network providers to Uverse without changing the ISY994 back to DHCP.

3. My ISY won't link to the Uverse gateway, no doubt because it is not set up for DHCP.

4. I can cure the problem by doing a factory reset. I have my programs stored, but there is still work to do to bring the system back to its state before this snafu.

5.  However it seems theoretically possible that a software tool for a Windows computer may exist that would handle serial communications between the ISY994 PLM and a second PLM that is connected to my computer, and that supports the Admin Console.  If so, I could change the IP address setting to DHCP and be good to go with the new gateway.  I say that such a tool may exist only because I know there is a simplehomenet software tool that handles serial communications between a WIndows computer and an EZIO8 using the EZIOm PLM and a second PLM, which I have used several times to set up my EZIO8.

6. Does anyone know of such a software tool?  

7. Is there some other simple way to solve the problem that takes less than the hour or two that it would take me to rebuild the status of my ISY994 back up from a factory reset?

Well, you're on the right general sort of direction, in the sense that there is an alternate way to gain access to the ISY -- but it isn't through the PLM.  Your ISY should have a micro-B USB port on it -- plug a usb cable in, and plug the other end into your computer.

Now, what you do once you get that done I can't tell you.. I've been meaning to try it, but the problem is that the ISY just keeps working so I've never had any incentive to do so.  But I think there are other threads here on this forum where users have done that and recovered the ISY, so perhaps a search would help.

Otherwise, someone will be along (perhaps even the UDI folks) and offer some assistance rather soon, I expect. :)

The easy way to solve this, if you remember the old IP of your ISY, is to temporarily set your Windows PC to an IP address one higher than the old ISY IP.   Now you can log into the admin console, and change the IP address of the iSY, then set your Windows PC back to DHCP.

Well, you're on the right general sort of direction, in the sense that there is an alternate way to gain access to the ISY -- but it isn't through the PLM.  Your ISY should have a micro-B USB port on it -- plug a usb cable in, and plug the other end into your computer.

Yes, that is an alternate way to access the ISY, there is a serial console shell.  You can use the "CT" command to change the IP address, instructions are here.

Archived