Loss of status in SwitchLinc Dimmer

I have a SwitchLinc Dimmer  2477D v.41 running my kitchen lights. I can turn the list on/off remotely (from my android/iOS apps or the web) and the status is always correct. But if I use the physical button the status is never updated from on->off or from off->on. This just started happening. It has been running great for the past few years.

Any ideas? How do I debug this?

Rick

Could be a missing link in the PLM... It's not over two years old is it? (Could be an early sign of a failing PLM). Try a restore PLM and see if that fixes it - and consider getting a spare (if that's the issue).

It's really weird. I can control it from 3 different devices (web, MobilLinc and HomeAssistant) and it always works and the status is correct on all 3 devices. But if I use the physical key to turn it on/off, it's status never changes on all 3 devices, that includes the UDI Admin console. 

If it's any help, I did recently replace my PLM on my isy994i as it went out due to a lightning storm. I ended replacing my older PLM with a newer 2413S. It seems to be working fine.

When you tell ISY to control a device (via web, Mobilinc or API), then ISY locally updates the status. A missing PLM record does not affect this functioning.

When you control the device locally, the device sends a message with the new status according to its local link database. Normally, to all devices that are responders and the PLM itself.

If the PLM is missing the link record responsible for allowing the reception of status, the PLM will ignore it and not pass it to the ISY.

Have you tried restoring the PLM? If it was recently replaced - was the process followed exactly? The fact that it was recently replaced is probably significant to your status issue.

I have a SwitchLinc Dimmer  2477D v.41 running my kitchen lights. I can turn the list on/off remotely (from my android/iOS apps or the web) and the status is always correct. But if I use the physical button the status is never updated from on->off or from off->on. This just started happening. It has been running great for the past few years.

Any ideas? How do I debug this?

Rick

Remove the paddle. There are two micro switches (tiny black buttons), one for on and the other for off. Use a paper clip or jeweler's screwdriver to manipulate the buttons. Does that work?

Yes, I believe I followed the directions to replace the PLM. I did the Restore Modem procedure. I think this may be the issue as I have noticed 3 other switches that act the same way, i.e. their status doesn't change when I physically push the button, only when it is remotely controlled.

Should I Restore the modem again?

Yes, I believe I followed the directions to replace the PLM. I did the Restore Modem procedure. I think this may be the issue as I have noticed 3 other switches that act the same way, i.e. their status doesn't change when I physically push the button, only when it is remotely controlled.

"Restore Device" should rewrite that particular device's PLM links.  If you run "Show PLM links Table" you can get an idea of how many links the PLM is holding.

Jon...

You can also try removing power from the switch by pulling out the air gap for a few seconds then pushing it back in

Hmm... my PLM only shows 8 links in its table. That seems small. I have these devices:

6 x switchlinc

1 x lamplinc

1 x inlinelinc

1 x motion sensor

2 x 8-button removelinc2

2 x iolinc

1 x irlinc

1 x 8-button keypadlinc

And my ISY has 57 links in its table. Is that a problem? Perhaps I need to go understand more about how insteon works and what links should be where. I thought each insteon device has the whole table within each device. Is that also true of the PLM?

Here's a old link calculator that will provide an idea as to how many PLM links are developed for different devices.

How did you determine ISY has only 57 links?  That would be for a very small installation.  8 links is definitely lacking in the PLM so either you performed "Delete Modem" or your "Restore Modem" wasn't successful.

If you did delete modem you'll have to restore ISY from the most recent GOOD backup then Restore Modem again.

Jon...

I finally had to go back to an old backup and restore from it and then also restore the PLM before I could get everything working properly again.

Thanks to all for the help!

Thanks for the follow up.  Glad to hear you're up and running :)

Jon...

Archived