ALL ON/OFF Events May Have Disappeared

I posted in Jan of this year about my issues with ALL ON/OFF events.  

I followed the advice of Teken at that time and left two devices "disconnected" from the system to see if they were turned ON or OFF by the next ON/OFF event.

In addition, I upgraded my PLM 2413S with V9B firmware to the latest.  (Free upgrade by Insteon due to known problems).  

Since that time, about Feb of this year, I have not experienced ANY ALL ON/OFF events.  Are they linked?  Don't know.....but the lack of these annoying events, that were at least once per month for a while, would suggest that the PLM upgrade has at least, in my case, ended the problem.  

In the meantime, we have sold our house and I can sleep well in the belief that I am not handing over an Insteon "can of worms" to the buyer. (Fired off another post today on the house sale and transfer to a home automation newbie).  

Justin in Dallas

Hey Justin,

First congrats on the sale of the old house and the new. So one has to beg to ask the question will the new house be using Insteon?

Also, is this an upgrade or down grade in terms of house? I know lots of folks who get older downsize into bungalow because its saves on the old knee's from climbing up and down a two story building etc. 

Teken,

Thanks....but this new house is quite the opposite, well over 5000 sq feet, with pool, jacuzzi, workshop and ample garage.  It is just plain bigger, and has many more opportunities for total home automation.  It is only 8 years old, and while not wired for HA, running cat 6 all over is pretty easy.  

As for Insteon, I can honestly say that there is not the chance of a snowball in hell of putting a single Insteon device in my new house.  In fact, I have given the buyer of my old house every single Insteon device I have, some 3 to 4 dozen new, not yet installed devices, including KPL's, plug in modules, RemoteLinc's, IRLincs, ToggleLincs, InLineLincs, IOLIncs, Access Points, and a dozen or so 5A, 15A and 20A filters.  (Why did I have so many unused devices you ask?  Because I have to replace so many failed devices on a regular basis).  

Given that, and based on my wants and needs, I have found the ISY-994 to be the beacon in the stormy night of HA........the right amount of DIY,  coupled with flexibility, compatibility, reliability, and customer support.  Is the ISY-994 perfect? Of course not, is the Control 4 equivalent $20,000+ system better?  Maybe, but only if the $20,000 starter price tag doesn't intimidate you, and you are willing to pay for a service call ($150/hr) every time you want to add or change a device.  

Could I go with Crestron?  Sure, but that price tag is even scarier than Control 4, and the service calls even more costly......

Bottom Line:  There is an interim solution out there for those of us in this boat, but it is likely cross company/multi-standard/hybrid, non-ideal, and not as mature as we would like.....but then that is what makes this exciting times for us HA geeks!  

Sincerely,

Justin in Dallas

Archived