ISY Portal vs MobilLinc vs Network Module

Jay

I'm behind on my reading and updates with the ISY (4.3.26).  So when I went to read up on the ISY Weather module, I was surprised to see this new ISY-Portal (and frankly confused).  I was going to add the weather module to my ISY so I can integrate my Digital Loggers DIN-Relay used for irrigation (with my Network module purchased last year).  I use the BASIC program on the DIN-Relay right now for irrigation.  I'm venturing slowly into using the ISY to send triggers to the DIN-Relay.  Was going to venture fully into it using the weather module.  But....

Key points/questions:

1) I already own the Network module (so I can trigger the DIN-Relay with the ISY among other things).  

2) I utilize MobiLinc Pro to great effect with GeoFence triggers etc.

3) Why would I buy (sorry, rent/subscribe) to the ISY-Portal to get access to the network module I already own (I understand UDI is offering a subscription extension to those Network module owners like me).  The benefit of subscribing instead of owning the network module is to get easier, non-port forwarding access to the ISY, IFTTT channel integration (this is interesting), and use of the Network module but from what I've read, having the ISY Portal in place ends the usefulness of MobilLinc (no more geofence) ?  Which was $$$ by it's own right.

4) Am I being forced to this new subscription model if I upgrade my ISY to 4.4.x or will I retain the Network Module I own?

I am fully aware how subscription models work, it does support development which is a good thing, but I certainly don't want to throw away the good money I spent on MobilLinc (or it's excellent functionality).

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

If you already own the network module purchasing a subscription for the portal will not affect you at all. You cannot use the MobiLinc portal and the ISY protal concurrently, it's one or the other. Again, if you don't use the MobiLinc portal, then the ISY portal will not change anything for you.

The portal allows you to easily integrate an Amazon Echo with the ISY as well as IFTTT. Also, you'll have a secure off-site connection to the ISY with no need to set anything up (e.g., port forwarding).

I'm on 5.0.4 currently.  I own my networking module and like you, prefer it that way.  I also subscribe to the ISY portal for use with Amazon Echo, IFTTT and for linking my 2 ISY's together.

I am also a Mobilink user (Without ML Connect) and continue to use the geofence features without issue.  To be fair, I'm not using the portal with Mobilinc at the moment but still using port forwarding in my router for that.  I don't believe it makes a difference other than access via the portal seems slower with Mobilinc so I decided not to use it for that.

-Xathros

• 2 weeks later...

If you already own the network module purchasing a subscription for the portal will not affect you at all. You cannot use the MobiLinc portal and the ISY protal concurrently, it's one or the other. Again, if you don't use the MobiLinc portal, then the ISY portal will not change anything for you.

The portal allows you to easily integrate an Amazon Echo with the ISY as well as IFTTT. Also, you'll have a secure off-site connection to the ISY with no need to set anything up (e.g., port forwarding).

How do I deactivate a module?  I was trying out the MobiLinc Connect module and it won't let me use the ISY Portal anymore, I'd like to go back to ISY Portal, thanks!

How do I deactivate a module?  I was trying out the MobiLinc Connect module and it won't let me use the ISY Portal anymore, I'd like to go back to ISY Portal, thanks!

Submit a service request using this link: http://www.universal-devices.com/contact-support/  Provide them with your UUID in Admin Console under Help -> About.

Please reference this thread in your initial reply to them so they know this issue has been resolved.

• 3 weeks later...
Xathros, thanks for your comment, that's exactly my use case and, since I have a ton of stuff using the network module, I don't want to ruin it if I switch over to the portal. And I got an Echo for Father's Day, so of course I want to get it all wired up. :)

Scott

Archived