Gate Control / Intercom Recommendations?

blueman2

I need to add the ability to have 2-way voice communication with a remote gate so that I can let people in when needed.  I currently have my ISY connected to the gate via I/O link to know when the gate is open/closed and to enable triggering the gate to open/close.  However, the 2 way voice communications is missing.  I would ideally like it somewhat integrated into my ELK.  But so far, the only thing I can find is POTS telephone based.  It is as if the entire Gate Intercom/control industry is stuck in the 1900's.  POTS?  Really?  

Anyone found another solution that might integrate well into an ELK/ISY home? 

How do you want to communicate with the person at the gate? A smartphone. If so, there is no one device that will allow that and also integrate with the ISY nor Elk. But, you can cobble some things together with existing technology.

I actually have more that two dozen POTS devices. A land line is within reach of virtually every place someone would sit including the thrones (waterproof, reachable from the tub and shower, too) B)

They're not required to be connected to a telecom (although ours are) to communicate with someone at the gate and buzz them in from the phone, if desired. I also have video. I really don't need much more except ISY control of the latch. That's a given.

What intercom system do you use?  I was looking at a Viking system like the c-1000b.  Will this system call any phone number, such as my cell phone?  I guess I could connect it to an ObiTalk device using google talk to create my own mini POTS system.

That's considerably more sophisticated than the Doorbell Fon systme I'm using. Also more than a decade newer. The Viking, too, seems to require POTS devices (but not a Telco service), there is no dialing involved.

Archived