Scene Condition in Network Module

MustangChris04

Is there a way to have an IF condition based on a Scene being turned on or off? I currently only see it based on a device, but not a scene. 

Reason why I am looking for this is when triggering a Scene through the Amazon Echo (ISY Portal), I would like a network resource to run when that scene is triggered. 

Normally I would just make the condition based on the button on the keypad that triggers the scene but this scene that is controlled via the echo does not have a keypad button to make a condition based on the status of the button. 

Thanks!

The usual procedure is to run the program based on a device in the scene, preferably a device that does not appear in any other scene. Or use a program that turns on the scene and runs the network resource.

Just have echo call a program instead which can then turn on your scene followed by the network resource to run.

I wanted to avoid this because activating a scene is faster than running a program, but this suggestion will work, thank you. 

Insteon scenes don't have a status. Only devices do.

That is correct, but the ISY does know when a scene has been controlled, therefore it could be possible to have an IF condition based on the CONTROL of a scene if UDI were to add this. 

The usual procedure is to run the program based on a device in the scene, preferably a device that does not appear in any other scene. Or use a program that turns on the scene and runs the network resource.

This is what I do for some of my scenes, but since this scene does not have devices that are specific to this scene, or a dedicated button for this scene it would not work. 

Thank you everybody for the confirmation that running a program would be the best course of action.  

but the ISY does know when a scene has been controlled, therefore it could be possible to have an IF condition based on the CONTROL of a scene if UDI were to add this.

Only if the ISY is the initiator of the scene. If a motion sensor or switch is the controller of a triggered scene, the ISY gets an on from the members in series, it does not get told that the reason for the on is a scene. So, in many common scenarios the ISY is completely oblivious to the scene being triggered, and is only aware of the devices state changing. This is why you have to use device status in your program triggers.

So, ISY implementing this would result in inconsistent behaviour. No way around that.

Archived