ISY 994 + EzFlora = zones won't open

MemoryLeak

Good day to everybody!

Recently moved to new house.

Previous owner had an ISY configured.

Many devices configured to work with.

But he took the ISY, as it was custom configured to his desires.

Now, I'm trying to figure out all the things myself.

The first device I tried to configure is EzFlora sprinkler controller.

Steps I did:

• factory reset EzFlora
  • linked EzFlora to ISY using "add insteon device by address"

Now, I see 8 zones.

But, when I try to open a zone nothing happens. 

Not sure where to start to troubleshoot the issue.

Can you advise, please?

Thanks!

Ran a test, results below

Wed 07/27/2016 05:14:02 PM : [GRP-RX      ] 02 61 11 13 00 06 

Wed 07/27/2016 05:14:03 PM : [CLEAN-UP-RPT] 02 58 06 

Wed 07/27/2016 05:14:03 PM : [iNST-SRX    ] 02 50 1E.79.65 41.E8.F8 65 13 11    LTOFFRR(11)

Wed 07/27/2016 05:14:03 PM : [std-Cleanup Ack] 1E.79.65-->ISY/PLM Group=0, Max Hops=1, Hops Left=1

<html><font color="red">----- Outdoor lawn Test Results -----</font></html>

<html><font color="red">[succeeded]</font> EzFlora - 8 (1E 79 65 8 )</html>

<html><font color="red">[succeeded]</font> EzFlora - 7 (1E 79 65 7)</html>

<html><font color="red">[succeeded]</font> EzFlora - 2 (1E 79 65 2)</html>

<html><font color="red">[succeeded]</font> EzFlora (1E 79 65 1)</html>

<html><font color="red">[succeeded]</font> EzFlora - 4 (1E 79 65 4)</html>

<html><font color="red">[succeeded]</font> EzFlora - 3 (1E 79 65 3)</html>

<html><font color="red">[succeeded]</font> EzFlora - 6 (1E 79 65 6)</html>

<html><font color="red">[succeeded]</font> EzFlora - 5 (1E 79 65 5)</html>

<html><font color="red">----- Outdoor lawn Test Results -----</font></html>

Wed 07/27/2016 05:14:11 PM : [iNST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 00 00 11 CF 13 00

Wed 07/27/2016 05:14:11 PM : [iNST-ACK    ] 02 62 00.00.11 CF 13 00 06          LTOFFRR(00)

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Let's start by understanding the irrigation system itself with these questions:

• Was the ezflora already installed, or did you install it new?
  • Does the system use a master valve or pump? The previous owner should know.
  • If its a pump or master valve based system, you need to set the option in the admin console to enable it, or you'll get the results you're seeing
  • SInce the previous owner took the ISY, can they give you their last ISY backup? Restoring that should give a good working base to start with

Paul

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Let's start by understanding the irrigation system itself with these questions:

• Was the ezflora already installed, or did you install it new?
  • Does the system use a master valve or pump? The previous owner should know.
  • If its a pump or master valve based system, you need to set the option in the admin console to enable it, or you'll get the results you're seeing
  • SInce the previous owner took the ISY, can they give you their last ISY backup? Restoring that should give a good working base to start with

Paul

• ezflora was already installed
  • master valve or pump - how do I check that? there are 7 zones 
  • where exactly in the Admin Console should I look?
  • can't get the backup. can't contact the owner.

• ezflora was already installed
  • master valve or pump - how do I check that? there are 7 zones 
  • can't get the backup. can't contact the owner

• master valve or pump - how do I check that? there are 7 zones.

Inspect the Ezflora unit, is there a wire connected to zone 8? If yes, then very likely that's it. Mastervalves were more of a trend in the late 80s and 90s, not so much for a newer systems. When it was factory reset, the existing mastervalve setting the prior owner had would be the factory default of "off".

Click on a valve in the admin console. In the center panel at the bottom, it will say options. One of the options is "Zone 8: Pump". That needs to be set if you have a master valve or pump as indicated by the wiring.

Hmm, ok. So if there is no 8th wire, there is no pump or master-valve.

So it looks like the ISY thinks its turning zones on and off without errors, so that suggests the Insteon to Ezflora messaging is working and something may be wrong with the sprinkler system. 2 other things to check

1. The sprinkler system needs 25vac to make the valves open. That's usually a ~2" x 2" plugin transformer near the ezflora and wiring termination. The owner may have taken it?
  2. The ezflora has an optional plug in termination at the bottom near the wiring for a rain sensor. The rain sensor will stop the unit from watering if it thinks its on. Is there a plug and extra wires near where the sprinkler wires plug in?

Paul

Larry's right, the zones aren't opening because they have no power due to the disconnected transformer lead. It needs to be attached to the second "AC xmr" terminal.

Pull the transformer out of the wall before attempting to disconnect/reconnect any leads to the ezflora. There's probably not enough voltage to hurt you, but unintended shorts could damage the ezflora's outputs.

I would suggest installing a small terminal block in the housing.. attach the transformer to two of its terminals, and a similar gauge wire to the sprinkler wire from each of the 2 terminals of the block to the ezflora. The transformer wire looks to big for the the small terminals of the ezflora. That's what I did.

Make sure there is no bare wire showing from the bottom when any lead is screwed in place.  To Larry's other point, Zone 7 and the White Comm lead are a little long. With the transformer unplugged, unscrew them and attempt to push them in further. If that does not work, take them out, one at at time, trim the end until it fits with no bare showing.

Paul

:)  I agree with the posters above -- and I'll add that proper installation of the wires is NOT just due to "anal-retentive" or OCD people on this forum!  Sloppy installations result in failures - which are bad - or outright short circuits - which are worse.  And even though this is only 24VAC, that's enough power to result in an overheating situation.

Starting from the right side, going left -- the installation looks very good, gradually decaying to horrifyingly awful at the left end.  It needs to be cleaned up and fixed.  As noted earlier, make sure NO bare copper is showing.  Also, use the proper wire size -- the stranded wire on the far left is NOT the right size, and you can't just put that into those terminal strips -- you'll need to use wire nuts and a short length of solid copper wire to make the connection to that stranded cable.

Sloppy == failure, if not immediately then at some point in time where Murphy's law dictates that said failure will result in maximum inconvenience or outright monetary damages.

To keep riding the OCD express  :mrgreen: , one issue might be the transformers and sprinkler system wires hanging down from the bottom pulled the leads out of the ezflora. I mount each bundled wire package with a strap and put a little bit of a bend in each individual wire so there is a slight pressure into the ezflora, so jostling of the box doesn't cause what appears to have happened here

Paul

The transformer wires also look like they are close to the largest wire gauge the terminal strip can handle.

So extra patience is needed to get it into the terminal and get a good solid grip that will not pull out again and no stray strands touching the next terminal over..

I second the tie wraps or wire straps to take the strain off of the wires and terminal clamps.

The 24vac 20va is a North American irrigation system standard as Brian pointed out. If those 2 wires contacted when the one pulled out, it could have blown the transformer. It seems odd that its light was still on if that was the case.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived