Questions about capability of ISY with insteon

kfp22

Hello,

I am considering buying an ISY to make my insteon devices even more customized to my living habit.

There are some questions about the capability of ISY that I am not certain of, hoping experts can shed some light on!

1)      Is it possible to connect Harmony Hub to ISY such that I can ask Harmony to trigger a scene button on an insteon keypad? (as well as subsequently changing the status light on the keypad)

2)      Is it possible to use ISY to configure an Insteon keypad scene button such that when pressed, not only it turns on a group of lights, but also triggers an activity from Harmony Hub? (e.g. turn on A/V system and Ceiling Fan)

3)      Are there additional hardware needed to perform the above links with harmony?  (apart from the ISY + Insteon PLM and the harmony hub)

4)      I see from one of the pages on UD that there is a “portal module” that allows linking with IFTTT and Amazon Echo, at a price of about 50USD for 2 years.
Does it mean that if I want ISY to work with IFTTT / Echo I must pay a subscription fee every 2 years? Is there any free or 1-off cost alternative?

5)      Is there any way to set amazon echo to trigger a scene of lighting defined on ISY? (I know that when working with Insteon Hub, Amazon does not work with scene. I have to ask amazon to switch on a group of lights one by one in sequence, at a delay between each)

6)      Can ISY configure the scene buttons of Insteon mini remote too?

7)      Having read some posts and official description of the “Network Module”, I am still confused about what it does ..
Am I right that it is to connect ISY to the internet via a LAN cable? If I don’t have the network module I cannot control the ISY from mobile phone / using internet services such as IFTTT?

Sorry for the long list of questions. I would really appreciate your help!

And sorry if any of these has been asked in the past already.

Cheers!

1, 2, 3. Additional hardware and expertise are needed to integrates the ISY with the Harmony Hub. I use IR Lincs and bypass the harmony to achieve the same functions.

4. There is no free integration of the SY with the Amazon Echo.

5. The ISY can utilize the Echo control devices, scenes and programs.

6. Yes.

7. The network module is not required, but you can use it, for example to send serial commands to devices and even more.

Thanks a lot Stu!! Some further questions if you don't mind ..

1,2,3)

"I use IR Lincs and bypass the harmony to achieve the same functions."

--> One of my objective is to be able to have my insteon controllers to trigger other non-insteon IR devices as well. (for example, a "welcome home" scene on the KPL6 to turn on lights, as well as TV and Fan)

I looked up IRLinc, from smarthome.com's description it says it is an IR receiver such that I can use my remote to control insteon devices.

Do you also have experience setting scene that includes other IR devices as well? (triggered by mini-remote or the KPL switch)

7) Do you mean network module is not required if I want to control my insteon devices from the internet using a mobile app?
(By the way, is the network module a software or is it a piece of hardware to be attached on the ISY?)

Thanks again

7) Without the network module, inbound requests to the REST API (mobile apps, for instance) and accessing the web interface all function normally. The network module enables making outbound requests from the ISY - for instance sending requests to IFTTT, Pushover, a local WiFi IR blaster.... etc

I should also note that subscribing to the ISY Portal also gives you free use of the network module for the duration of your portal subscription. This is because the ISY Portal allows you to easily receive inbound triggers from IFTTT, and UDI wanted to allow the ISY to trigger IFTTT. This integration uses the Maker channel on IFTTT..

Thanks a lot Stu!! Some further questions if you don't mind ..

1,2,3)

"I use IR Lincs and bypass the harmony to achieve the same functions."

--> One of my objective is to be able to have my insteon controllers to trigger other non-insteon IR devices as well. (for example, a "welcome home" scene on the KPL6 to turn on lights, as well as TV and Fan)

I looked up IRLinc, from smarthome.com's description it says it is an IR receiver such that I can use my remote to control insteon devices.

Do you also have experience setting scene that includes other IR devices as well? (triggered by mini-remote or the KPL switch)

7) Do you mean network module is not required if I want to control my insteon devices from the internet using a mobile app?

(By the way, is the network module a software or is it a piece of hardware to be attached on the ISY?)

Thanks again

There is both an IR Linc transmitter (Insteon signals are converted to IR signals) and an IR Receiver (IR signals are converted to Insteon signals). I use both. The network module is not hardware. I use it primarily to control our Somfy window covering motors.

4. Just to clarify if you purchase the network module this is a one time investment.

Having that will allow you to interface with IFTTT and other cloud based / network devices & services.

Also, if you invest in a RPi there are at least two programs that will allow you to interact with the Amazon Echo without the need to subscribe to the ISY Portal Service.

If you're technically inclined , eager to learn, and have time. This is a good option while learning a new skill set.

Having said all of this - The ISY Portal Service offers a plug & play approach and present and future features that add great value to your HA network.

Also in a round about way it helps support UDI as a company in offering a small income stream.

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

4. Just to clarify if you purchase the network module this is a one time investment.

Having that will allow you to interface with IFTTT and other cloud based / network devices & services.

Also, if you invest in a RPi there are at least two programs that will allow you to interact with the Amazon Echo without the need to subscribe to the ISY Portal Service.

If you're technically inclined , eager to learn, and have time. This is a good option while learning a new skill set.

Having said all of this - The ISY Portal Service offers a plug & play approach and present and future features that add great value to your HA network.

Also in a round about way it helps support UDI as a company in offering a small income stream.

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

Thanks for the clarification, that is super helpful and insightful! I am very impressed by the isy's capability and don't mind at all to pay a fee to support their effort to provide these services for a small community like us.

On a side topic, unfortunately I run into a big road block that doesn't even allow me to use isy.. Because the insteon PLM can only work under 110v60hz, and in my country it is 220v50hz (Even though my insteon devices are all RF915). I am going to test to see if I can use the PLM with a transformer, hoping that even the powerline signals are not usable, at least the RF on the PLM can communicate with my other insteon devices which can then re-broadcast the signal to the rest of the house through usual dual band.

But truly, Thanks all for your help!

It won't work. A transformer transforms the voltage, but not the frequency. The PLM will power supply is designed for 60Hz and will overheat (and eventually self-destroy) at 50Hz. It may also interfere with power line signals due to the timing, which can overcome the weaker RF signals..

Too, you place yourself at risk broadcasting an unauthorized frequency. In the unlikely, but possible chance that you interfere with other RF equipment in your country, you will likely be fined and your devices confiscated. You may even be jailed.

Thanks for the clarification, that is super helpful and insightful! I am very impressed by the isy's capability and don't mind at all to pay a fee to support their effort to provide these services for a small community like us.

On a side topic, unfortunately I run into a big road block that doesn't even allow me to use isy.. Because the insteon PLM can only work under 110v60hz, and in my country it is 220v50hz (Even though my insteon devices are all RF915). I am going to test to see if I can use the PLM with a transformer, hoping that even the powerline signals are not usable, at least the RF on the PLM can communicate with my other insteon devices which can then re-broadcast the signal to the rest of the house through usual dual band.

But truly, Thanks all for your help!

If you're serious about this endeavor and wish to still use the ISY Series Controller as the main hub for your Insteon network. You can perform a search in this forum where there is a link to a company that sells and modifies existing 220 / 50 Hz Insteon HUB's to be used as a PLM.

Also, it should be noted in this forum also there is a thread that offers the steps to integrate 2245 Insteon HUB's to operate in parallel.

I have seen the older discontinued in the US 2442-222 HUB modified for PLM use. As it has a separate Network Board in it and a Serial Board can be wired in place of it.  My thoughts are the firmware may also be changed.

The older 2242-4?? International series HUBs. With the proper local countries RF frequencies are still being sold. I believe the modified ones where from an Australian vendor.

The newer 2445-222 HUB has all the networking on the same PCB. Not too sure if can be fudged for PLM use.

Archived