PLM replaced and restored, but programs do not auto trigger.

I replaced my PLM modem, did a PLM restore. It was not successful.  I had to right click each device and restore device, some devices I had to reset and rejoin for them to be seen.  I can control everything from the ISY, but when I turn on a light or device outside of the ISY it does not register the change like it used to and auto trigger variable and program changes. I have to manually query the device to get status. 

Any tips on how to fix it?

Thanks.

When you swapped the PLM.

Did you power off the old PLM and the ISY994i?

Then replace the PLM and power it up first?

Then power up the iSY994i so it could find the new PLM's ID?

Then do the restore with the new PLM's ID?

If the PLM was changed and the iSY994i was not power cycled to find the new PLM's ID. The restore would use the older PLM's ID.

I replaced my PLM modem, did a PLM restore. It was not successful.  I had to right click each device and restore device, some devices I had to reset and rejoin for them to be seen.  I can control everything from the ISY, but when I turn on a light or device outside of the ISY it does not register the change like it used to and auto trigger variable and program changes. I have to manually query the device to get status. 

Any tips on how to fix it?

Thanks.

Take a look under TOOLS | PLM INFO/STATUS and verify that the address showing is that of the new PLM. If not then you need to do a restore modem.

Take a look under TOOLS | PLM INFO/STATUS and verify that the address showing is that of the new PLM. If not then you need to do a restore modem.

Yes.  It is showing the correct address for the New PLM.  I have also opened the event viewer, placed it in level 3, and manually went around and switched lights on and off, but the log does not change.

I ran the diagnostic test. The first two lines stated identical in red, and the third states ignore, which I assume is normal.

If you do a DIAGNOSTICS | SHOW PLM LINK TABLE how many PLM links do you show?

How many Insteon devices and programs do you have?

Where you able to do a restore PLM with out getting a fail notice?

Try the Show PLM Link Table a few times.

Any Insteon activity during the reading of the table will mess it up.

That PLM link count is too low. For the amount of devices and programs you have.

Was a Delete Modem (PLM) done at anytime during the process?

If the Delete Modem (PLM) was done. Do you have a backup prior to the delete?

I do not recall doing a delete PLM modem.  It was a couple of months ago, but I do have a number of backups prior to the modem failure. 

Techman.  I believe post #3 is what I followed when I originally replaced the PLM modem. 

Should I perform a delete and just restore one of my older backups?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Confused... MY PLM seems to have fried? so I purchased another one, having issues not having the programs properly run... Does it not make sense to start from scratch.. Should I not just DELETE the PLM... Then Restore the unit and then do a restore of the PLM.. I am starting to think leftovers in the PLM are causing some issues... Brand New PLM... same issues not everything is running like it was???

Confused... MY PLM seems to have fried? so I purchased another one, having issues not having the programs properly run... Does it not make sense to start from scratch.. Should I not just DELETE the PLM... Then Restore the unit and then do a restore of the PLM.. I am starting to think leftovers in the PLM are causing some issues... Brand New PLM... same issues not everything is running like it was???

It appears that the PLM was not the problem. What steps did you take to determine why programs weren't running? Did you try running the programs manually?

BTW, did you follows the instructions for replacing the PLM exactly?

EXTRA-NEVER DELETE THE PLM.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add my woes to this thread. Two days after I crossed the Pacific for a one month trip there was a power outage at my place with several on-off oscillations. The system did not come back up and I assumed the problem was the PLM because (a) I could access the ISY through the Internet and see that it was blind and deaf, and ( B) I'm pretty sure the PLM's warranty expired recently.

There are a couple of difficulties involved: First, my would be home tech support, my neighbor's son, is in midterms so I don't want to have him run over at all hours to press this or that; second, my Internet connection is abysmal right now, maybe due to a supertyphoon, so some of the problems I'm having may be completely unrelated to the ISY or the PLM. The random requirement to log back in is, I assume, one of those.

What I've done:

Cycled the PLM and ISY off-on (I can remotely power down the PLM and the ISY with an X10 telephone controller, but only as a pair, so they will come back on at the same time like after a power failure)

New PLM, assume college boy followed my instructions to the letter as he is borderline OCD:

Unplug PLM and power down ISY
    Swap Cat5 cable to new PLM
    Plug in PLM, wait 15 seconds, power up ISY

Turned off battery device updates

Restored PLM

Results:

Several times Restore PLM did nothing, then finally seemed to take, but no effect. When I log into the ISY I still get the 57 failed comm popups I have to kill... if I'm lucky. Sometimes the ISY window just closes on its own even before the popups appear, sometimes after they are there and I am poised to start clicking.

Once in I find all the "regular" (for lack of a better name) devices have exclamation points while all the EZxx devices, the keypad and the older (X-10 looking) remote control have the 1011 tags and are pretty much constantly being written to in sequence, though to no effect. I tried Right-Click | Write Updates but again, nothing.

I did manage to capture one of my restores with the Event Viewer, which I will hopefully figure out how to insert here.

Diag 01.txt

It shows a boatload of successful link replacements, e.g.,

Thu 10/20/2016 10:07:09 PM : [   E C6 19 1] Replacing PLM links (locally and in PLM)
Thu 10/20/2016 10:07:09 PM : [   E C6 19 1] Replacing PLM links Successful

But ends with,

Thu 10/20/2016 10:07:09 PM : Reset PLM
Thu 10/20/2016 10:09:57 PM : [        Time] 22:10:00 0(0)
Thu 10/20/2016 10:09:57 PM : [iNST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 0F 83 A8 0F 13 00
Thu 10/20/2016 10:14:07 PM : Cannot reset the PLM

A PLM links table shows none at all while a few samples of ISY Links Tables and Device Links Tables looked to my untrained eye to be okay - for example the ISY links for a primary switch with three secondaries showed three devices plus the PLM.

I got the PLM info: 43.6C.37,  v.9E / Connected, but have no quick way of verifying that it is the new one. I could have the neighbor kid go look if it is a suspect.

I'm running v4.5.1. I do have a backup from July, v4.3.26, probably just before I updated, and I have one from after the PLM (presumably) crashed but before I started messing around. Restoring a backup would probably have to wait three days until I got back to decent Internet: I assume that when I click on things on the Admin Panel I'm only sending a few bytes of information, but the backup would be quite a battle with the occasional disconnects.

Sorry for the lengthy tome. I just don't know what is important and what is chaff.

Jim

Addendum: I attached two files, the smaller one is a clipboard copy of the restore and a bit more, the larger one (below, I think) contains that and a lot of presumed chaff.

ISY-Events-Log.v4.5.1__Thu 2016.10.20 10.22.04 PM.txt

Good thing I'm accustomed to being a failure in life: I restored the ISY with the July backup but still no luck. Some notes:

In the process of the backup I got a warning that the network settings, e.g., IP address, Mask, etc, were incorrect. It showed the current ones and the ones it thought were right. I compared them digit-to-digit and they were identical. Not one to argue, I accepted the "new" settings.

After the reboot I restored the modem but despite multiple attempts and a power reset (though, as mentioned earlier, I can only reset both the PLM and the ISY at the same time) the PLM status query shows "0.0.0.0 / Not Connected".

At the end of each restore I get the error message,

Failed Resetting the PLM

[-2000000 / -30]

One time only, after the first reset, it also included the error,

IGD Couldn't retrieve WANConnectionDevice

[ /CONF/UZW0001.BIN ]

The PLM is definitely powered: It is plugged into the same outlet as the ISY's wall wart.

The short version (one reset) of the event log is:

PLM Restore Single.txt

The long version (multiple resets):

PLM Restores.txt

Maybe a PLM factory reset? The neighbor goes over about every other day so I could send him the instructions (once I look them up myself!).

Jim

Hi Jim,

The PLM is dead unfortunately. Once you have the new PLM, what you need to do is the following in the same order:

1. Reboot ISY with the new PLM

2. File | Restore ISY again using the same backup as you used above (hopefully it's a good one)

3. http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:File_Menu#Restore_Devices

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived