Any H.A.M operators on here? Need Help

Teken

On 2m that should not be a problem. I've hit 2m holes and valleys and ridiculous distances. With 200 watts and a good array, I've gotten 600 miles direct on 2m.

I remember sitting with my Dad in Oklahoma listening to him talk to a friend in Hawaii with only 80 watts on 2m. The best Christmas my Dad every had.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Understood, the first step is to see if we can access any of the repeaters in this area first. If not the back up plan is to unload and install the gear and deploy the repeater which I will remote operate. If I can't then one of the guys will activate the towers for me but don't for see an issue but its already planned for.

I suppose this could be worse my two tin can and string comms might have to be used yet again!

LOL . . . 

Understood, the first step is to see if we can access any of the repeaters in this area first. If not the back up plan is to unload and install the gear and deploy the repeater which I will remote operate. If I can't then one of the guys will activate the towers for me but don't for see an issue but its already planned for.

I suppose this could be worse my two tin can and string comms might have to be used yet again!

LOL . . .

Make sure that rusty coat hanger is the right length while you are up there.

I hope you don't have to add too much coax to the repeaters hanging in the air from tree growth this year.

Make sure that rusty coat hanger is the right length while you are up there.

I hope you don't have to add too much coax to the repeaters hanging in the air from tree growth this year.

We have both RG58 and hard line with us to ensure the least amount of line loss. The guys have decided two antenna arrays will be stood up so one will be running on RG58 vs the other hard line. I told them someone else is climbing the second tree I've done my part on the first tree!

Lucky I brought a antenna switcher because I just knew someone was going to suggest that! The problem with so many people with like minds having the mentality of *One is none - Two is one* is it always takes more time and money. I think its a great idea having two antennas located at different parts of the property because it will at least give us fail over and real world data about how TX / RX is in that area depending upon direction.

About 50 minutes out now as I type this and then another hour hike into the bush.

Meh . . .

P.S. 

The two trees will be *Topped* to ensure they don't hinder long term use.

On 2m that should not be a problem. I've hit 2m holes and valleys and ridiculous distances. With 200 watts and a good array, I've gotten 600 miles direct on 2m.

I remember sitting with my Dad in Oklahoma listening to him talk to a friend in Hawaii with only 80 watts on 2m. The best Christmas my Dad every had.

2M is line of site, save for some exotic propagation modes, such as ducting. Your dad experienced some exotic propagation!

At solar max, the MUF can rise high enough that 6M can bounce off of the F layer. The MUF never rises as high as 2M.

This article about "the magic band" (6M) as 6M is in a very interesting transition area of wavelengths with respect to propagation.

http://www.qsl.net/n1irz/sixmeter.html

Our goal in the near term is local access but the long term is SSB. One member is using a decommissioned weather tower in Nunavut. Our goal is to be able to communicate with them at a later point. Since the one property has hectares of room a ground mounted array is being designed and planned.

Its safe to say its going to be the largest private array in all of Canada. 

2M is line of site, save for some exotic propagation modes, such as ducting. Your dad experienced some exotic propagation!

At solar max, the MUF can rise high enough that 6M can bounce off of the F layer. The MUF never rises as high as 2M.

This article about "the magic band" (6M) as 6M is in a very interesting transition area of wavelengths with respect to propagation.

http://www.qsl.net/n1irz/sixmeter.html

The 2m to Hawaii was extremely exotic. We were using the moon to bounce the signal.

The Tulsa to Dallas was using 4 22 element antennas in an array.

I know quite a bit about RF and antennas and propagation.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

I know quite a bit about RF and antennas and propagation

I know that.

Fort Monmouth. Wink wink, nudge, nudge, say no more! ;)

Home base for exotic propagation.

I am waiting for an opportunity to write "I'll have Nunavut!". Old joke there, though, I'm sure.

We have both RG58 and hard line with us ...

Nobody uses RG58.

If you can deal with the weight of an RG-8-type cable, take LMR400. (Too bad, I just tossed some in a move.) If not, Times has thinner cables that are still far superior. Look at the full line, they have variants, outdoor weather proof, riser, etc. etc.

Hard line and trees?

Forget 144, 220, 440 for your purpose. Go with 6M, or adjacent commercial band. Follow the lead of the California Highway Patrol, and I'm sure the Mounties. It's what you use when you have only widely-spaced repeaters, if any, and need to cover a wide area.

Plus, you get to put one of those big-*** whip antennas on your car, the kind with the spring base in the back, and tied-down in the front to make a big arc. (Unless no bridges on the frozen tundra.) 

Show up in this baby, and they will know you mean business! 

m287a.jpg

Well on the road again and coming home and have to say its been a long day. Lots of things were learned today for everyone and that was key for all of us. Some random information for those interested if not please ignore the following paragraphs.

1. Cellular: With no less than 25 people at the site we had many different kinds of phones and providers. We quickly found out which provider was required in that remote area. Having said that it appeared some hardware still had issues with a known cell provider when the SIM card was inserted. 

This information proved extremely important and useful for those of us intending to spend any considerable amount of time at this cabin. Since we knew what cell provider worked best it allowed us to leave the appropriate prepaid cell phones at that location for emergency use.

2. Satellite: The group was able to confirm both models of sat phones operated just fine but still had comm issues to the receiver. We had no problems hearing anyone more than 250 KMS from our location but the receivers at home base indicated the sound quality was at times choppy and had back ground noise.

It didn't matter where we stood and given the clear blue sky - clouds weren't the primary issue so much as comms are going to outer space and back!

LOL . . .

3. Repeater Access: Houston we have lift off . . . Almost every member was able to configure and connect to the repeaters in the areas save two members. We will need to push forward by unifying that everyone have the same HT. Given the low cost of the radio's this won't be an issue and those who couldn't connect have already commented they love the two radio's I brought.

My HT issue was a combination of antenna height, distance, and RF power at several locations. Signal propagation was clearly an issue at several places because simply moving ten feet and turning 45' allowed TX / RX with out issue.

You have to love the black magic of RF  . . . 

Also of note using any of the Icom, Yaesu, and Motorola radios didn't offer better TX/RX in the deep bush.

4. Antenna: I was able to scale the (approx) 65 feet tree and top it (cut the top off) and securely mount the dual band antenna to the tree. It took more time to secure the wiring bundle every ten feet than to climb the bloody thing. Its been awhile since I had to wear barbed boot straps. Its safe to say after getting down I was walking bold legged and everyone just laughed!

Bastaards . . .

The second antenna was also successfully deployed save a minor incident as when the top of the tree was topped a branch struck my friend in the face and left him a nice gash. He will need some stitches and thank God he was wearing safety glasses because losing an eye is nothing to joke about.

I rendered first aid immediately so its hoped there will only be a slight scar.

5. Grounding: All of the runs were properly grounded and lightning arrestors were installed per spec. It took 12 of us in rotation to drive in the ground rod because bad luck would have it we hit rock! Once again planning was key and blowing out a hole wasn't an issue with a hammer drill but after holding that freaking thing I and every one of us had the shakes.

I don't know how people who handle hammer drills do it for a living because it really messes with your nervous system!

Measuring the ground resistance came in at a scant 15 ohms well below the 50 ohms that CEC calls for. For extra measure of safety I rigged up a manual disconnect for the two antenna arrays so no matter what if no one is there the equipment can't be harmed from lighting. Flags were placed along with a note how to enable the antenna arrays because we all know memory is short never mind in an emergency.

6. Solar: The first stage of the solar array was deployed and testing proved we are good to go. All of the charge controllers were humming along and based on load calcs the radio station will be fully powered for seven days assuming 24 hours of continuous use.

7. Bear Cage: This area is full of wild and large predators and it was quite apparent our electric fence was tested on more than one occasion from black bears. Also a little disturbing to find out very large coyote based on video that look more like wolves were present a few times. One fence was damaged by the bear and this was repaired by the team.

Since the cabin is in such a remote area we needed to ensure the gear was well protected from bear entry. Several large steel cages were built on site to protect the essentials and comm systems. As of this writing no bear signs have ever been seen on the cabin exterior structure and we like to keep it that way.

8. Trenching: All I have to say is trenching sucks aszz . . . I've never seen so much rock and hard clay in my life so glad the wire run was less than 150 feet. I don't think any of the 25 guys will want to repeat this task.

9. Cabling: My friends wanted to let you know why we used RG58 / hard line. Because this is what we had on hand and no one in there right mind is going to waste 2000 feet of good wire. Ultimately height and transmit power will over come any line loss on cabling. Power is not an issue for the system we have in place and know lots of people believe XXX power is OK, ideal, what ever.

I and our team don't think in terms of OK, ideal, we do everything over the top because we know it offers a much larger margin of give when its really needed. Anyone who has never lived or had to operate in the bush and never relied on a *Bush Line* seriously can't understand why people do the extra's.

For me its called experience and with the combined knowledge of some of the smartest people I have every known and had the pleasure to work with I know this RF system will offer everyone that important link if and when needed.

===================

===================

I had a few moments along with the team to share this thread with them. Lots of them had a good laugh and some it provided much insight as to what I do on my off days. Its safe to say not very many of them are into HA like the members here are. Fewer are even skilled in computers etc. But what they do bring to the table are decades of hands on experience in farming, medical, engineering, military, environmental, industrial, sciences, and bush craft.

Comments about licensing this hit home for all of us and is on the to do list. Doing so will allow us to obtain a group call sign for the tower this will also ensure we are all on the same page with respect to comm's and proper etiquette / process.

Even though most of us know more than what is in the hand outs its always good to learn more etc.

My friend James has asked me to thank each and everyone of you for giving (Teken) lots of ribbing! They know me well and think its great people all across the world are helping out and offering their insight and feedback. My friend Bob thinks Larry is just awesome and believes they share like minds in humor.

My feedback to him was *Yes, you could very well be Larry from UDI - Because you are quick to turn anything serious into fun*

I thought it was interesting that my friends wanted to read more of what I ramble on about on this and other forums. I guess the reality is not very many of them spend any time on the web much less leave writing on the wall for others to read. My friend Jacob says Mwesters comment about not being able to read the whole 4 previous pages was a gut buster for him.

My reply was there is a inside joke where I take some time to reply with my thoughts and since my dear friend Garry Funk has limited me to only 1000 words. I often times run out of space so feel the need to over compensate and write more!

Ha . . .

My counter to Jacob and Mwester is at least my writing are in paragraphs. I try to use punctuation and proper grammar when needed. I also try very hard to ensure my thoughts are clear and concise for others to follow. But ultimately this ends up being a huge novel but hey Garry needs to increase my word count to 5500!

Anyways much thanks to all and the team of 25 thank you all for the laughs at my obvious expense!  

Bob? He's gone from my life! I haven't used that nickname for years!!

Glad things worked out but that was alot of work for a huge dipole.

Yes, most definitely a lot of work, time, and resources but this isn't a passing fad for any of the people on the team. This is a long term project which everyone sees a direct benefit in terms of safety and offering those a direct connection to the outside world.

This is also our cold weather training facility, snow trail route, hunting, and get away for many.

As I write this the remaining 12 team members are clearing the area of dead fall and marking the snow trails for this winter. Right now just sitting in the ER with friends waiting to get some stitches for my comrade in arms.

I'm sure there will be lots of great stories he can tell the woman about his heroism on the big tall tree that almost took his life.

LOL . . .

Its been a long day, we all smell, very dirty, and there is nothing on the boob tube here . . . 

Archived