New Dot

Paulk8

Thanks for the heads up. I confirmed this is working on my echo dot with software version 4148 and the echo with software version 4008. I know the software Version number for the echo did not change because I checked the other day when the discussion started here (but reported as not working yet) and it was also 4008; i'm not sure about the echo dot

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by giomania

ESP is enabled. Previously, it two Echos were in the same room with the same wake word, it was like an echo, both responded with a delay between responses. As a result each Echo in the same room needed a different wake word. Now all my Echos in the same room have a single wake word. Only one responds.

I still need separate accounts and wake words for Echos within earshot of each other that control different scenes using the same spoken (e.g. light, fan, window covering).

Do you have Dots or Echoes? What is the software version on them?

Cheers,

Alex

Do you have Dots or Echoes? What is the software version on them?

Cheers,

Alex

Three Echos, three Dots. One Echo has version 4148, there's also a Dot in the same room that has the same wake word with version 4008. All remaining Dots and Echoes have version 4008. All behave as described with ESP enabled.

OK so who is getting excited for the UPS man tomorrow! I have six coming, still trying to figure out  some nice speakers for each room not wanted to spend more than a $100 per setup and the kids's room substantially less! I have been looking at these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0109GTXWA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=5OFQ5GJI1CH&coliid=I1JRFX2E108ZX1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BXF5HQ8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=35BUGSU2D4F93&coliid=I3OJCSC0AFP3DK&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016P9HJIA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=5OFQ5GJI1CH&coliid=IHDYAR74A7WLK

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZ9XKCM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=5OFQ5GJI1CH&coliid=I3PUJ2NII43V04&th=1

Besides full sound systems what do you guys use?

Also with not having setup anything with Echo, has a consensus been reached how these will have to be set up? If I want to use the same wake word for them all( since ESP is enabled) but also the same commands-Meaning if I say turn off lights I want it to turn off the lights in that room the echo is located in only.

Edited by Ajax

OK so who is getting excited for the UPS man tomorrow! I have six coming, still trying to figure out some nice speakers for each room not wanted to spend more than a $100 per setup and the kids's room substantially less! I have been looking at these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0109GTXWA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=5OFQ5GJI1CH&coliid=I1JRFX2E108ZX1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BXF5HQ8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=35BUGSU2D4F93&coliid=I3OJCSC0AFP3DK&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016P9HJIA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=5OFQ5GJI1CH&coliid=IHDYAR74A7WLK

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZ9XKCM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=5OFQ5GJI1CH&coliid=I3PUJ2NII43V04&th=1

Besides full sound systems what do you guys use?

Also with not having setup anything with Echo, has a consensus been reached how these will have to be set up? If I want to use the same wake word for them all( since ESP is enabled) but also the same commands-Meaning if I say turn of lights I want it to turn of the lights in that room the echo is located in only.

Not getting mine until the 25th. :(

I use an excess pair of Mirage OmniSat speakers connected to an old Panasonic stereo receiver (thanks Mom!) for the one dot I have now. This works OK; nothing to brag about.

I don't have any other excess speakers, so not sure what I will do. I like those powered monitors linked, but perhaps there are cheaper similar options, unless you already researched this. Did you consider standard monitor speakers and one of those mini DSP amps?

For your desired spoken scenario, you will need multiple Amazon accounts as far as I understand it.

Edited by giomania

If you want to use the same command in different rooms and have those commands control different devices in each room (e.g., light, fan, lamp), then you'll need an Amazon account for each room. If devices have the same wake word and are within earshot of each other, then only the Dot/Echo that hears the word first will respond.

I currently have four accounts and use three wake words to achieve what you want.

I'd avoid any speaker system that relied on batteries, even if they're rechargeable.

Edit: only one portal account is needed for up to five Alexa app accounts.

Edited by stusviews

To solve the unique spoken commands / too many similarly named commands conundrum, I am going to try totally unique commands for the various bedrooms.

This occurred to me when my son stated he would like to say "Lumos" (from Harry Potter) to turn on lights.

My OCD did not let me come up with this on my own, and I figured it can't hurt to let the children come up with their own fun (unique) commands.

However, if they say they want "light", "fan", or something I want to use, then I will need to recite my "There is no Democracy in this house, only Autocracy, unless General Mom initiates a coup."

If you want to use the same command in different rooms and have those commands control different devices in each room (e.g., light, fan, lamp), then you'll need an Amazon account for each room. If devices have the same wake word and are within earshot of each other, then only the Dot/Echo that hears the word first will respond.

I currently have four accounts and use three wake words to achieve what you want.

I'd avoid any speaker system that relied on batteries, even if they're rechargeable.

Edit: only one portal account is needed for up to five Alexa app accounts.

But you need ISY Portal sub-accounts, correct? So with your four (I presume) Amazon accounts you have 1 main ISY Portal account and three ISY Portal sub-accounts?

But you need ISY Portal sub-accounts, correct? So with your four (I presume) Amazon accounts you have 1 main ISY Portal account and three ISY Portal sub-accounts?

Correct. There's actually no different between main and subaccounts, except that the first account you create is considered the "main" account. Each portal requires a corresponding Amazon account.

I don't have an echo or dot.  I keep waiting for the killer use to justify it.  What are you all using it for besides just listening to music?

I don't use any of my Echos or Dots to listen to music because I have a killer sound system. It's simply fun to voice control nearly everything in our home; lights, fans, HVAC, window coverings and audio and video systems. And it's really handy to turn on a light when both hands are full. Or turning the light off after getting into bed.

I don't have an echo or dot.  I keep waiting for the killer use to justify it.  What are you all using it for besides just listening to music?

Verbal grocery list items. makes a list on both our cell phones. No more forgotten paper lists with ony half the stuff written down, on the fridge, while we are surprise shopping. Living 15 miles from the store in another town, this happens often.

Doctor and chiro appointments. Goes directly into your google calendar and displayed on almost any calendar app you want.

6 year old granddaughter loves to have it play popular kids music over and over. Also answers math questions for kids to check their homework. Some geography.

Knows what games are playing and the current scores, player stats etc..

It's a vocal dictionary and encyclopedia. Stuns guests when an argument breaks out and I settle it by asking Alexa...what is...?

Got 'em. Four black, two white. I've already taken advantage of the new software (ESP) with my current three Echos and three Dots and four accounts, so the next task is location, location, location.

Got 'em. Four black, two white. I've already taken advantage of the new software (ESP) with my current three Echos and three Dots and four accounts, so the next task is location, location, location.

Good to hear but it sounds like you got my order. Same colour quantities and being shipped to NY state. :)

I'm not aware of any limit to the number of Echos and /or Dots that can be on the same account. There are three possible wake words. Alexa, Amazon and Echo. The portal has a five account limit.

There is no need to have more than one Amazon/portal account unless you want to use the same command with different Echos and expect a different result. For example, If I ask Alexa to, "turn on the light," while I'm in the bedroom, only the bedroom light comes on. But if I use the same command while I'm in the living room, only the living room light illuminates.

I can accomplish that because the Echo devices in the bedroom are on a different Amazon/portal account than the Echos in the living room. Further, if I want to turn on the bedroom light from the living room, then I need to specify so, that is, "Alexa, turn on the bedroom light."

After setup they do a software update to version 561179520. I am pretty sure they started off on something else and the interim version was 551870320. Two of them got stuck on this version and went offline, so I had to enter setup mode and re-select the Wi-Fi.

YMMV

I'm not aware of any limit to the number of Echos and /or Dots that can be on the same account. There are three possible wake words. Alexa, Amazon and Echo. The portal has a five account limit.

There is no need to have more than one Amazon/portal account unless you want to use the same command with different Echos and expect a different result. For example, If I ask Alexa to, "turn on the light," while I'm in the bedroom, only the bedroom light comes on. But if I use the same command while I'm in the living room, only the living room light illuminates.

I can accomplish that because the Echo devices in the bedroom are on a different Amazon/portal account than the Echos in the living room. Further, if I want to turn on the bedroom light from the living room, then I need to specify so, that is, "Alexa, turn on the bedroom light."

You think we could do this using BWS Systems HUE Emulator? Or if we ask for a change to make it happen?

OK just so I understand while I am setting up my Dot's

I will have 6 total. 4 of them I want to be able to use the same wake but be zone specific meaning same command but the closest one will respond with just that lights-Basically those will be in the individual bedrooms. The other 2 will have the same wake word as the other 4 but be in the living/kitchen area and they can control the same lights..So is this the correct way below, all on one Amazon acct. And I will have to program the spoken words for each portal acct, correct?

DOT #1 Living/Kitchen area Portal acct #1

DOT #2 Living/Kitchen area Portal acct #1 

DOT #3 Bedroom #1 Portal sub acct #2

DOT #4 Bedroom #2 Portal sub acct #3

DOT #5 Bedroom #3 Portal sub acct #4

DOT #6 Bedroom #4 Portal sub acct #5

Edited by Ajax