New Dot

Paulk8

Pre-ordered a Six-pack of white last night; estimated arrival is 10/25, so the pre-order numbers must be substantial.

It would be nice to mix and match colors in the pack; 4 black, 2 white.

After all, the order can always be cancelled before it ships (yeah, right).

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly time for another animated gif :wink:

SaHt9dp.gif

Pre-ordered a Six-pack of white last night; estimated arrival is 10/25, so the pre-order numbers must be substantial.

It would be nice to mix and match colors in the pack; 4 black, 2 white.

After all, the order can always be cancelled before it ships (yeah, right).

Mark

FYI I was able to mix and match white and black. I got three of each the put the code in to get the discount. It was a little wonky but it worked. You could probably still cancel and do that if you wanted.

Just to clarify. Has anyone been able to use dots/Echos in say 8 separate rooms and just say lights on in each room and it will only turn the lights on in that specific room? Without using separate Amazon and portal accounts? Seems like the whole unique ID thing someone suggested would be needed for that.

Just to clarify. Has anyone been able to use dots/Echos in say 8 separate rooms and just say lights on in each room and it will only turn the lights on in that specific room? Without using separate Amazon and portal accounts? Seems like the whole unique ID thing someone suggested would be needed for that.

Doh...never mind...guess not...found this post on this: http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/19544-2-echo-dots-w-1-isy-in-2-rooms/

Yes of course but for that each of them should have separate Amazon account and be added to a separate ISY Portal sub-account.

Cheers,

Alex

Yes of course but fir that each of them should have separate Amazon account and be added to a separate ISY Portal sub-account.

Cheers,

Alex

Yea, I got that you can do it with separate Amazon accounts.  But with 3 echos and 6 dots that's a lot of work and/or not possible to have that many accounts.  As was stated earlier an uniqueID per device would eliminate the need for all the crazy.

Yes of course but fir that each of them should have separate Amazon account and be added to a separate ISY Portal sub-account.

Cheers,

Alex

Not possible at this time. The portal is limited to a total of 5 accounts. I don't know it that can be accomplished with two portal accounts.

FYI I was able to mix and match white and black. I got three of each the put the code in to get the discount. It was a little wonky but it worked. You could probably still cancel and do that if you wanted.

I ordered via the dot to get the $10 shopping credit so I'm not sure if I can do that. Maybe if I call

Just pre-ordered 4 Black and 2 white Echo Dots.

Christmas gifts for kids and 6 year olf granddaughter. She was emphatuated with our Echo, messing up our shopping lists, and constantly playing kids music exerpts!

These things are also great for kids going to school to check their math and other learning interests, like geography and science.

• 3 weeks later...

The new protocol does not eliminate the need for multiple accounts if you want the same spoken to have different results in different locations. It does eliminate the need to give the Echos different wake words if they're within earshot of each other.

For example. I have two Echos in the bedroom that control the same devices/scenes/programs. If they have the same wake word. one repeats the response as an echo. That won't happen anymore.

But, I still need different accounts to allow Alexa to "turn on the light" in different rooms without specifying which light.

... at this point this is a deal breaker for me, I just don't want to have 6 Amazon accounts just to manage these Dots.  I am sure that in the future, they'll have a way around this.

I know it bothers some people, but it's not that big of a deal just to say, "Turn on basement lights" or "Turn off master bedroom lights".

It is a big deal if AI is to have intelligence. I don't ask my spouse to turn on the bedroom light if we're both in the bedroom, but I do if she's in the bedroom and I'm not.

The bigger problem I see is with guests. "Turn on the lights" is a common phrase if you are asking for help from someone standing near the switch, but Alexa and Siri both seem to interpret that as "Turn on *all* the lights, throughout the house". That's disappointing if someone is trying to sleep!

The bigger problem I see is with guests. "Turn on the lights" is a common phrase if you are asking for help from someone standing near the switch, but Alexa and Siri both seem to interpret that as "Turn on *all* the lights, throughout the house". That's disappointing if someone is trying to sleep!

No, Alexa doesn't interpret that at all. Alexa does exactly what it's programmed to do thought mapping the spoken words in the Portal.

Cheers,

Alex

I have to agree with Alex (above).

When I use Alexa, turn off all lights it turns off the lights in only that room (24 lights)

That is the way I set it up, but I don't feel I have any use for Alexa in other rooms as far as HA goes. I am not going back to the clapper level for bedroom lights in the middle of the night, yelling Alexa, turn off the bedroom light.

I want HA light control, not waking my spouse up by yelling or clapping. She may want some action and I am not bothering with that nonsense, when I am dreaming of a better class of people. Geeeesh! :)

I don't feel I have any use for Alexa in other rooms as far as HA goes.

I do feel the need to use Alexa in several rooms. I have several accounts so that we can use "natural speech" as much as possible in each room.

It is my understanding that ESP (echo spatial perception) has now been enabled. Has anyone messed around with this yet? Does this potentially eliminate the need for multiple accounts?

ESP is enabled. Previously, it two Echos were in the same room with the same wake word, it was like an echo, both responded with a delay between responses. As a result each Echo in the same room needed a different wake word. Now all my Echos in the same room have a single wake word. Only one responds.

I still need separate accounts and wake words for Echos within earshot of each other that control different scenes using the same spoken (e.g. light, fan, window covering).

Archived