The other DOT not Echo

Ajax

Guys quick question on the new Beacon DOT that is available on Kickstarter... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1867163750/dot-the-physical-push-notification?ref=profile_starred This should with the ISY994i correct? Or do you only use beacons with a third party app like Mobilinc? Sorry not familiar with the beacons but it seems on the cheaper side and since I already pre-ordered the echo dot 6 pack what is another couple Dots right...My wife might divorce me with all the money that is going into this automation but hey maybe this might just replace her!

Guys quick question on the new Beacon DOT that is available on Kickstarter... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1867163750/dot-the-physical-push-notification?ref=profile_starred This should with the ISY994i correct? Or do you only use beacons with a third party app like Mobilinc? Sorry not familiar with the beacons but it seems on the cheaper side and since I already pre-ordered the echo dot 6 pack what is another couple Dots right...My wife might divorce me with all the money that is going into this automation but hey maybe this might just replace her!

OK, just watched the video and have to say - Sold!

I've seen lots of iBeacon's but none of them illustrate the real world use cases as seen in this video. Considering it has a open API a RPi is more than likely the key to integrate it with the ISY Series Controller.

Thank you for taking the time to share this great KS campaign.

Not related to ISY, but O M G...

iOS10 + iMessage plugins + the other dot

I don't know if they've actually implemented "Dot post-it notes", but that's how you'd do it for iOS10. (Yes, I'd guess this has been possible on Android for some time. Hold the "I told you so" snickers!)

I haven't explored iMessage plugins (actually, have not installed iOS10 yet - not prudent!). But I get messages on a group with friends where they are using all these silly iMessage plugins. Some actually show something (like an animated GIF) on iOS9. Some, (thankfully!) do the best they can on iOS9 by saying things like "Laughed at Digital Touch message".

Now this is something actually USEFUL.

And as I am an app developer, and thought it might be interesting to do an iMessage plugin, open to ideas related to ISY!

I write apps for big companies to use internally. But always looking for ideas for The Next Big Thing to do "in my spare time". But then, before I find that spare time, a big company wants something in a rush.

And of course, this does open up a world of possibilities for Big Company Apps. ;)

What comments and what specifically where you weary about? I only did the one Dot at $25 - I know, I know, BIG spender eh? I figured I could afford that much.

No, no . . .

I wasn't weary about the product - It was more the fact they stated v2 would offer some of the items of interest to me. You and I have done our fair share of Alpha / Beta projects so you know it comes down to is this for me?

Will it meet me near and long term needs?

At this juncture I prefer to spend my money once and right the first time around. I have more than enough (Stuff) which sits idle or collecting dust because it never fully materialized as the maker(s) claimed. I do believe the product has legs but at this point want to see how it evolves in the next 18 months.

I have no problem dishing out 50% more than what you paid for the device so long as it works as advertised and is open source etc.

Also, presently I have an aversion to products that use any kind of battery . . .

I have no less than 20 types of batteries and keep on hand dozens of them for use. There is a long term cost for all of this and right now my goals are to limit or reduce that reliance on primary cells. I have also started on a path to reduce my RF exposure within my environment.

I know lots of this sounds like *Tin Foil* hat commentary but rest assured the reasons are sound. 

No, no . . .

I wasn't weary about the product - It was more the fact they stated v2 would offer some of the items of interest to me. You and I have done our fair share of Alpha / Beta projects so you know it comes down to is this for me?

Will it meet me near and long term needs?

At this juncture I prefer to spend my money once and right the first time around. I have more than enough (Stuff) which sits idle or collecting dust because it never fully materialized as the maker(s) claimed. I do believe the product has legs but at this point want to see how it evolves in the next 18 months.

I have no problem dishing out 50% more than what you paid for the device so long as it works as advertised and is open source etc.

Also, presently I have an aversion to products that use any kind of battery . . .

I have no less than 20 types of batteries and keep on hand dozens of them for use. There is a long term cost for all of this and right now my goals are to limit or reduce that reliance on primary cells. I have also started on a path to reduce my RF exposure within my environment.

I know lots of this sounds like *Tin Foil* hat commentary but rest assured the reasons are sound.

If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it must be a duck. #JustSaying #Quack #TinMan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Nice!

Too bad they are Bluetooth. I have other Bluetooth connections but always try to keep it turned off due to killing mobile batteries so quickly and I don't carry a cell phone on me in the house.

I sleep naked.  hmmm..... duct tape?   Red Green would love it!

Now they need a small dongle to go with it like the vehicle units. Better yet, when will under the skin ID chips be coming at every drug store? May be much better profits than vaccines. :)

• 3 months later...

The IOTA DOT aka IOTA Connect now, will soon be shipping to all Kickstarter backers and you can buy them now.

https://dot-by-iota-labs.myshopify.com

I can say with confidence these little guys are great! The best part is IFTTT and Maker are baked in. I have had all of my commands work with 100% accuracy. I know IFTTT gets a bad rap sometime because of delays but I can say there were none for me. Of course that being said it is a cloud service so there's going to be a bit of a delay when you enter a room and want lights turned on. This is not because of the hardware, it just is what it is to get the command out and back.

Right now with my test DOT I have it in my Home Theater Room. When I walk in after a specific amount of time if I am still in range all my devices turn on and ready to watch a movie, then the opposite happens when I leave.

The app is now live on the Apple Store here:

Iota Connect by Iota Labs, Inc

https://appsto.re/us/2Km0gb.i

Check it out. Grab one, they are only $20! Let me know if you have questions and I will try and answer any. To be clear I backed the Kickstarter project for one DOT and in no way affiliated with this company. I am just sharing my thoughts. These could be a great hit for those looking for reliable geofence.

.... I know IFTTT gets a bad rap sometime because of delays but I can say there were none for me....

Hey Scott

IFTTT delays are specific to channels that must be polled (like gmail), as opposed to true event driven channels like this case.

Paul

Archived