I am having issues with 2477D switches since the new isy994

I got a new isy994 to replace my 99.  Since doing that my one switch that was a 2477D won't communicate with the isy.  I thought maybe it was a bad switch so I ordered a new one and this new one won't even install.  It just keeps saying something about it can't determine the insteon engine.  I've tried linking and doing new insteon device.  I have tried linking multiple times.  At first it would go through the blue bar showing it's % but now that won't even show up in the console when linking.  ??????????????

I have a question about my PLM, could that be the issue.  It works with everything else but just doesn't seem to like the 2477D switches which I only have several of.  It is a 2412S.  Anyone care to give some advice?

I've been going through this for a couple of months, since moving. I didn't replace my ISY (already had 994, though I did go through the upgrade some time ago). But I did (at least attempt to) reset everything and start over.

Make sure you factory-reset the device. Pull the airgap, wait 10 seconds, push and HOLD for 5 seconds. I find it easier to do with the device out of the wall and wire-nutted to a zip cord. Then you can just hold in the button while plugging it in. Otherwise, it can be hard to push and hold the button from the airgapped position.

Then when you linkto ISY, make sure to "remove all links" which will remove any entries for the device in the ISY's own table.

Other than that, I'm sure others will chime in about noise-makers and signal-suckers. ;)

Also, can anyone give me a lesson on the PLM.  I have a power cord into it plus the power supplied by the ethernet cord.  I just noticed when I unplug the power cord it still has power.  Do I need the power cord plugged in or just the ethernet cable? 

Then could it be that I need to re position my PLM?  I will need a hard wire access point though right such as a switch or wired access point? 

You need to have the PLM plugged-in to the wall. That's how it gets powerline signals onto your wiring!

Don't plug it into a UPS, power filter, etc. I've seen suggestions to get it away from your computer equipment and/or put it on an extension cord.

If it's not plugged-in to the wall, it will use RF only. Some other device then will have to repeat the signal onto the powerline.

Okay, I'll make myself a little more clear.  The PLM is plugged into a wall.  It has the cable running into the isy994.  Is it supplying power to the isy?  Do I also need to have the power adapter cable plugged in for two sources of power? 

Do I need a new PLM with Dual band? 

Where does everyone have their PLM positioned?

Where you have your PLM plugged in makes a huge difference.

My main PLM and ISY are in the basement ceiling, near my computer/router and other electronics.  The entire set of electronics is fed directly from the main panel with a dedicated circuit.  That circuit has the PLM plugged into it, and a FilterLinc into which the UPS for the electronics is plugged.  The ISY plugs into the FilterLinc as well.

This ensures that nothing sucks out the PLM's signal, and ensures that it's as close as possible to what amounts to the central distribution point for the wiring in the house.

Key items: put the PLM as close as possible to the electrical panel, do NOT plug it into a surge-protector or a UPS.  Make sure that your UPS and anything else electronic (and some things that are just "electric" but not commonly considered "electronic") are all plugged in via FilterLincs, to ensure that your Insteon signals aren't sucked out.

Which PLM? The 2412S supplies power to the ISY, the 2413S does not.

Oh. sorry, you're right!

I replaced my 2412S with a 2413S when I upgraded from ISY99 to isy994. Thus, the confusion.

It seems a good idea to use 2413S, as it is dual-band. (2412S is not.)

Well, I moved the PLM and presto.  It was faster than a speeding bullet to identify the switch and install it.  Why didn't I do this sooner?

The old 2412S is power line only.

There is a chance you didn't have another Insteon device receiving its power line signal. Close enough to the problem switch to relay the messages. By RF or Power Line.

If the PLM is connected to the same power line feeding the computing equipment. It can effect Insteon Power Line signals if not filtered.

I have my PLM in the pass through unfiltered outlet on a FilterLinc and the computing gear in the Filterlinc filtered outlet.

Archived