6-Button KeyPad - Reverse Lighted Button

djakins

I have several 6-button keypads - some for fans some for normal lights where I want access to scenes.  Anyway, the default behavior seems to be that one the main light is on ON, the ON button is lighted up and the OFF button is dim.  I would actually like to reverse that so the lighted button is the target for the next desired key press. SO when the light is off, say at night...the ON button is lighted up and easy to find to turn on the light.

Is that possible?

Thanks!

Daniel

Based on your reply a simple program to change the dim level to the On vs Off is just required. You do realize this may not be as intuitive to the lay person right? If you're the only person in the home that's not much of an issue but if there are others this may confuse people.

Home Automation should always strive to be as natural as possible while doing as many things in a automated way that is seamless to the end user(s).

Nothing is worse to see KPL's using odd characters, icons, or programming that makes no sense. Keeping in mind native scenes should always be used as the primary method to connect to the Insteon network. There are obvious use cases and needs that require programs to accomplish end goals but they should be extensions to the basic ability of the network.

Doing so ensures long term satisfaction and expected behavior when a controller is off line or if there is a hardware failure. 

Thanks again Teken... Actually I agree with your point about keeping it intuitive for my wife. :)  The dimmers that were installed all lit up at the top of the paddle switch like a night light when they were turned off...was trying to mimick that experience.

Thanks again Teken... Actually I agree with your point about keeping it intuitive for my wife. :)  The dimmers that were installed all lit up at the top of the paddle switch like a night light when they were turned off...was trying to mimick that experience.

Just so I am clear you wish to make what ever button that is pressed to be (ON) to be at a specific brightness? If so you can easily create programs that will over ride the base levels and even have them invoked based on time periods. The area I was trying to address is if you were trying to make something do the opposite this would lead to confusion in some fringe cases.

So long as the home is uniformly set up across the home things will be fine . . .

Its when a person does a few random *Here & There* approaches this can over the long term cause mayhem. As an aside there are always going to be fringe use cases in life such as limited budget. Where I've seen a person who couldn't afford a KPL to control the Fan Lincs.

So they used the native functions of On, Fast On, and various double, triple tabs from programs to invoke the different speed settings etc. This is a great work around but is the perfect example of not being intuitive or expected to the lay person.   

Correct, and program(s) can meet those goals but doesn't seem odd? Perhaps I am too accustomed to seeing the KPL buttons lit the standard way?

I dunno suppose this really comes down to preference . . .

Yes, it's odd. Light on means on. His wife has interpreted the LEDs on dimmer switches incorrectly.

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

...like I said earlier

Yes, it's odd. Light on means on. His wife has interpreted the LEDs on dimmer switches incorrectly.

Short and to the point.
Best regards,
Gary Funk

yes she has ... because of the old style paddle dimmers that have been there since we moved in... they have the night light built into the back of the paddle switch.  When the light is turned off, the paddle is lit up at the top to be easy to find in dark - to turn the light on.

No worries...she will get used to it.

Archived