Google Home

G W

It has arrived. I already don't like that it doesn't use an USB cord. That's just another outlet to take up instead of using a multi-port USB power supply.

It is fast and has a lot of possibilities.

3ce53def1a86e4fd8b634a7b2e19a357.jpg

B.R.I.A.D.A.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

OMG!

That is awesome!

I had a hard time hearing the actual wetaher report as my Alexa was giving me some American weather at the same time. LOL

I know some people just won't see it but us rednecks love it. I've got to build one.

B.R.I.A.D.A.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

I ordered 2 and they came in. Saying ok Google sucks. Saying Alexa sounds more natural and fluid.

With that said, I do enjoy the Google home more. The speaker has a crisper sound and Home sounds more natural. Less robotic.

Since I use Chromecast a lot, being able to stream to them is great. While Echo had the lead in regards to services, I can see Google catching up. Really, all I need is support for my ecobee 3's, Harmony remotes, and ISY. Everything else will be icing on the cake

I do find the Amazon Echo too bassy for good speech recognition for myself.

The Dots are much clearer but not as good for music.

The old radio announcer sound, with a mouth full of cake problem..

Maybe it's a regional thing. I find the Echo family voice very clear.

It may also be the design, layout, structure and furnishings in the house that make a difference. Even air density and humidity.

B.R.I.A.D.A.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Maybe it's a regional thing. I find the Echo family voice very clear.

It may also be the design, layout, structure and furnishings in the house that make a difference. Even air density and humidity.

B.R.I.A.D.A.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

It may be my hearing but I find it too bassy for voice and even for music.  My wife thinks it is OK. It is in the middle of a large room maybe 28 x 35'. I love lots of bass but this is a bit muffled even, like somebody threw a thick towel over the unit.

May just be the luck of the production too.  I mean the Dots would be terrible to listen to music with their 2"  "transistor radio" speaker sound, but the voice is very clear.

• 2 weeks later...

My homes are going back today. It can't do the most basic of functions (I expected issues but damn). Unless you have a premium account you can't play a full playlist nor an individual song (unless its purchased through google). The whole follow-up question thing is B.S. I have to say hey/ok Google everytime before I ask a question. The casting was cool when it worked. I'm sure it will get better but not being able to do the most mundane tasks right makes it worthless when I have Alexa sitting right next to it. 

I've only been able to play with mine for a little while but IMO, they will quickly pass up Alexa.  They already have a concept of 'Rooms' although I don't know exactly how this works in practice since it only works with native supported devices, and I don't have any, but the concept seems great.  The ability to have it say anything you desire when an IFTTT recipe is run is pretty cool (although I still dislike ifttt...) Like when I say 'Turn on TV' it says "You shouldn't watch so much TV, go read a book!"

I have pushed Google to work with UDI to get native support https://twitter.com/jimsearle/status/798208086552899584 Please retweet/like to help.   

I think having to say ok google for the followup up question is a must, I don't want it to continue listening until I say stop listening or something?  Last night I asked, "did the San Diego Chargers win today". and it responded, then I said "when is their next game" and it told me.  That is pretty cool, of course hey/ok google before each question is required.

Being able to name a timer or setup multiple alarms is great for the kitchen. Ability to control multiple homes from one device will be nice, like 'set volume to 10 on patio' will be great.  You can 'group' them and give commands based on the group as well.

I just wish it would recognize the Hue Hub Emulator :(  Need to do more investigation on that.

Still lot's more playing to do, but not much time...

I agree with you about long term. I think the way both are set up, Google has the potential to be better than Alexa. If I didn't already have echos I'd be willing to keep it. I took mine back since I have to use Alexa now even for the basic stufff that I do 99% of the time which is listen to music.

I don't use either much for automation since the ISY does most of it for me. While my Alexa is set up to control devices, all I end up controlling with it is my ecobee3's. All of my TVs have Chromecast as well as both stereo's but I have more capability from my phone than Google home allowed.

I wish I used mine like you because I wanted to keep home so bad and make it work (it looks better than echo). I'll look at it again in the future if they remove the need for having a premium account for basic things. For now though it would've been an expensive paperweight

Archived