Echo and Fanlinc

zachhll

So i have been playing around with echo and controlling my fans. I am trying to find the best way to control it. Currently i have a 8 button keypadlinc controlling two Fanlincs. Both Fanlinc just mirri each other when a button is pressed. I am using V2 api. buttons are set up with scenes to control the lights and fans. I want to be able to just say alexa turn living room fans on medium and it activates my scene for living room fans on medium. I have tried to do this multiple ways. Right now i added both fanlincs to alexa as devices and grouped them in the alexa app. and created a program on isy to turn my scene on when ever it detects both fans at correct setting. My issues is it works perfectly for high and low but no matter how i say med or medium it never actually turn the fan on medium.

What i want: "Alexa turn living room fan on medium."

Whats the best way to be able to to say this phrase as well as  High, Low and Off.

Thanks,

Zach

So i have been playing around with echo and controlling my fans. I am trying to find the best way to control it. Currently i have a 8 button keypadlinc controlling two Fanlincs. Both Fanlinc just mirri each other when a button is pressed. I am using V2 api. buttons are set up with scenes to control the lights and fans. I want to be able to just say alexa turn living room fans on medium and it activates my scene for living room fans on medium. I have tried to do this multiple ways. Right now i added both fanlincs to alexa as devices and grouped them in the alexa app. and created a program on isy to turn my scene on when ever it detects both fans at correct setting. My issues is it works perfectly for high and low but no matter how i say med or medium it never actually turn the fan on medium.

What i want: "Alexa turn living room fan on medium."

Whats the best way to be able to to say this phrase as well as High, Low and Off.

Thanks,

Zach

You should just control directly the scenes in Alexa.. Create corresponding spokens for your scenes in the Portal:

bedroom fan low

bedroom fan medium

bedroom fan high

The the phrase is "Alexa turn on bedroom fan medium" note where the ON is.. I tried having the 'on' as part of the spoken but the two ons got confusing and also Alexa gets confused by long spokens..

So you need TURN ON "SPOKEN"

Cheers,

Alex

I have been having a similar issue. I also have high medium low and I have a bunch of fans in different rooms. Sometimes she'll ask me to repeat a command say she have several devices with that name so I was thinking to try maybe speed numbers like 1 to 3 but I haven't yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should just control directly the scenes in Alexa.. Create corresponding spokens for your scenes in the Portal:

bedroom fans low

bedroom fans medium

bedroom fans high

The the phrase is "Alexa turn on bedroom fans medium" note where the ON is.. I tried having the 'on' as part of the spoken but the two ons got confusing and also Alexa gets confused by long spokens..

So you need TURN ON "SPOKEN"

Cheers,

Alex

I have tried this method but its not natural to speak that way and i have to think about what im saying.

If i could just change med to medium some how that would be awesome.

• 5 weeks later...

I had the same problem, High and Low work when used in a phrase like "Turn On Living Room Fan High," but "medium" and "off" did not work through the Echo.

To fix this, I used these phrases:

-Turn On Living Room Fan High

-Turn On Living Room Fan Half

-Turn On Living Room Fan Low

-Turn On Living Room Fan Stop

The Echo still makes me repeat about 20% of the time, but the commands work. I'm thinking the Echo has "Off" and "Medium" as reserved words.

You can add several terms to the 'spoken.' So you can include both medium and half, for example, and over time see which works more consistently.

BTW, I use both medium and off, so they can't be reserved, especially not off which is used a lot.

I use the name "House Fan Low" for low speed.  Alexa accepts:

"Alexa, turn house fan on low"

Which to me is very natural.  Do NOT include the 'on' work in the name in the portal.  Just "House Fan Low".  I also have Medium and High.  I also have just "House Fan" which I also set to medium.

Archived