Anyone else have this occasional problem?

robin71

The ISY-994i is an essential piece of hardware integrated into my home. With the addition of an Amazon Echo and several Amazon Dots, it's affordable home automation. But, here is a problem I'll occasionally have.

I'll say, "Alexa, turn on the kitchen lights."

And receive a message something like, "Sorry the device "kitchen lights" is not responding.. Please check the power supply or network connections."

It doesn't matter which Amazon Dot I use or the INSTEON device I am addressing, the result is the same.

If I login to the Administrative Console and reboot the ISY, that seems to resolve the issue, but now, I'm trying to figure out why it happens. Is that indicative of something failing, such as the SD card or PLM, or something else?

Any thoughts as to why this could be happening? As far as I can tell everything else works when this happens i.e. ISY programs or MobileLinc.

I've experienced that problem more that once. Rebooting the ISY usually restores the Echo to functioning. If is doesn't, then use the Alexa app to forget all devices and then discover devices.

Thank you Stu, I didn't think about rediscovering the devices. It happened again this morning before I saw your post. I will try that the next time it happens as it will be more convenient for me to do through my smartphone. However, I am still left wondering why it happens so I can prevent it from happening in the future. My wife loves technology when it works and looks at me, like it's my fault, when it doesn't.  :?

Michel,

I've had this problem more than once. It affected all devices on four portal accounts. There were no errors that could be seen. Rebooting the ISY fixed the problem except once. At a loss for anything else to do that one time, I had Alexa forget and rediscover devices. That worked.

Respectfully,

Stu

Hi Stu,

Thanks so very much for the feedback. Would it be possible to send your UUID and the time of the occurrence the next time around? We'll definitely look at the logs to see what's going on since it should NOT happen unless the actual device is not responding.

As part of the last maintenance release, Benoit added a sophisticated logging mechanism to query all the logs (from proxy, dispatcher, web, subscription server) so we'll be in a much better position to track any bugs.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michael,

I'm having this problem as well. Currently running 4.5.1. Thought it was an error because I was running an older version so I updated to 4.5.1 and problem still persists. I'm getting the "not responding check power supply" over various devices but still able to command through admin console. Tried rebooting ISY as well as Echo rediscovery. Discovered everything fine but voice commands failed over multiple Echos. Do you have any suggestions or any other troubleshooting methods?

Thanks,

Larry

I have also been experiencing this issue.  I have found that when I get this response, the ISY Portal shows that it has lot connectivity with my ISY.  This is something "new" as I have not had this problem in the past (been using alexa for 8+ months).  I thought it had to do with a new router setup at my home however even after changing it, it still disconnects.  When this happens, there is nothing in the ISY error log that coincides with the timestamp on the portal, not anything in the router logs. 

I've am experimenting with different configs to see if anything helps (static IP, reserved IP, DMZ (as an experiment only),etc)....

Sometimes this happens days apart, other times it is 2-3 times per day.   Internet connection is FTTH 1Gbps, no other connectivity issues or reports from other devices (alarm panel as an example). 

Hi Ron,

Would you please send your UUID and Error Log (even though there might not be anything there) to support@universal-devices.com with a link to this post. We'll definitely check it out.

With kind regards,

Michel

Will do as soon as it happens again.

Archived