Garage Door and Motion Sensor

AnthemAVM

I have kids that forget to close the garage door when they come in.  I currently have the garage door on Insteon control with an I/O LINC.

What I would like to accomplish is the garage closes if no motion for 10 minutes if it was open.  Would these programs work?

Garage Motion Sensor - [iD 004F][Parent 0030]
If
        Status  'Garage Motion Sensor-Sensor' is Off

Then
        Wait  10 minutes
        Run Program 'Garage Door Open Motion Program' (If)

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Garage Door Open Motion Program - [iD 004E][Parent 0030]
If
        Status  'Garage / Garage Door Sensor' is On
    And Status  'Garage Motion Sensor-Sensor' is Off

Then
        Set 'Garage / Garage Door Relay' On

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Thanks very much for the input.

It's probably not a good idea to have to door close unattended.

What you could do is have a timer signal an alert in the house if the door is left open for a period of time.

I know this is controversial, but I think an unattended garage door can be made to close safely.

I use a combination of motion sensors, signage, flashing the garage lights and and an Elk 124 voice module to issue warnings of the impending door close along with the standard door threshold optic sensors and careful adjustment of the opener close force. It also sends me a text message to my phone and I can then use Mobilinc to view the camera to verify the everything is clear. Once a month I verify that everything is working properly.

Just like technology will eventually allow us to have driverless cars, a faceted approach to home automation can allow safe operation of entrance systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is controversial, but I think an unattended garage door can be made to close safely.

I use a combination of motion sensors, signage, flashing the garage lights and and an Elk 124 voice module to issue warnings of the impending door close along with the standard door threshold optic sensors and careful adjustment of the opener close force. It also sends me a text message to my phone and I can then use Mobilinc to view the camera to verify the everything is clear. Once a month I verify that everything is working properly.

Just like technology will eventually allow us to have driverless cars, a faceted approach to home automation can allow safe operation of entrance systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are probably one of the few people I have ever read in this forum that have done almost everything I have suggested to ensure a safe remote GDO activation.

As noted it doesn't matter what Home Automation safeties are in place if the basic GDO hardware isn't routinely checked, inspected, and calibrated to meet safety guidelines. Key things with the annual GDO inspection is validation of the force detection, optical reversal, crush depth, and the unsprung free weight tension of the torsion springs.   

i don't have it closing automatically, but I can control it through the portal, so it may be unattended.

When it receives the close (or open) signal, I turn on a siren and strobe and wait 5 seconds before the door moves.  The siren and strobe stay on until the door motion is complete.

And, of course, the standard safety interlocks are in place.

It was easier for me to just get the Chamberlain devices to do it.

Can I control it from ISY? No, but why do I care? I can close it from the built in app.

It utilizes all it's own hardware.

Has a 10/5/1 min timer on the keypad to auto close (blinks light and has a beeper)

To monitor it, I just have a tilt sensor on the door.

https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-MyQ-Retrofit-Package/dp/B00IPKPVCE/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1479700229&sr=1-2&keywords=LiftMaster+Internet+Gateway

I bought the two items independently, as there was not package at the time. It cost me $50 bucks, but now they realized that the sum of the parts was not cost effective, so you buy the whole thing for $67.

It also makes the keypad another remote point (for clickers) which actually extended the range by maybe 100 ft.

My Liftmaster was from 2004.....

Can I control it from ISY? No, but why do I care?

We use a KPL button by the side door (leads to the garages) to control our garage doors. No need to pullout a smartphone, enter a security code, tap an app and then select an operation. The KPL button is ready for a single finger tap. The button LED indicates the state of the garage door.

I can also use a smartphone.

Same here.  I like how MyQ natively handles remotely closing the garage, although the audible warning is a little loud -- the dogs pull their tails between their legs every time it starts beeping.  

I used Homebridge to integrate it with HomeKit, so all I have to do to control it is lift my wrist and speak to my watch to open/close it, or query its status.

I can also walk across my house and press a button.

AnthemAVM,

I am not sure whether you ever received feedback regarding your specific questuob about your program.

In my mind, I would change it in two ways. First, disable the second program. Second, I would eliminate the second condition of the second program.

I also assume your motion sensor is configured to send both ON and OFF commands

Archived