Ok, I give... can't link anything

Andrew

Hi everyone,

Just received 3 things:

1) Insteon Outdoor Smart Plug, On/Off

2) LampLinc Smart Plug

3) Mini Remote Control Keypad, 8-Scene

I've followed what instructions I could find (including entering the Insteon device ID), and various drop-down menu items, but can't seem to get anything to happen (except beeping from the plug)...

I must be doing something wrong, but it's not working... setting up Z-wave stuff is instantaneous.

Any help appreciated.

thx

Andrew

Hi everyone,

Just received 3 things:

1) Insteon Outdoor Smart Plug, On/Off

2) LampLinc Smart Plug

3) Mini Remote Control Keypad, 8-Scene

I've followed what instructions I could find (including entering the Insteon device ID), and various drop-down menu items, but can't seem to get anything to happen (except beeping from the plug)...

I must be doing something wrong, but it's not working... setting up Z-wave stuff is instantaneous.

Any help appreciated.

thx

Andrew

did you link them following the instructions that came with the devices, or did you link them using the instructions for the ISY?

Ok, maybe that's the problem - I assumed the ISY would cover this... I don't have that.

So, off to buy a a 2413S PLM... I suppose. 

Looks like it's getting pretty poor reviews.

Bring all three items to the same room as the 2413S PLM and plug it into the same outlet.

What is the results of adding in the new hardware?

Ok, maybe that's the problem - I assumed the ISY would cover this... I don't have that.

So, off to buy a a 2413S PLM... I suppose. 

Looks like it's getting pretty poor reviews.

Hello Andrew,

I don't really follow what is happening here - You have created many threads on this forum before how did you ever connect your Insteon network if you didn't have a 2413S PLM?

That is the little white box that is connected to the ISY Series Controller.

Everything else has been Z-wave! : )

Never had any Insteon devices before receiving them yesterday.

Hello Andrew,

I don't really follow what is happening here - You have created many threads on this forum before how did you ever connect your Insteon network if you didn't have a 2413S PLM?

That is the little white box that is connected to the ISY Series Controller.

Everything else has been Z-wave! : )

Never had any Insteon devices before receiving them yesterday.

LMAO - Well then you certainly need a 2413S PLM !

Teken, Z-wave device don't need nor do they use the PLM at all.

After the OP replied this was quite obvious - But I swear he made a few threads about Insteon so this confused me.

Ok... following up.

Got the 2413S, though I'm not home :)

Read the instructions which say:

​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​--------

1) Ensure PowerLinc Modem is not plugged into your computer
2) Plug PowerLinc Modem into an AC wall outlet
3) Plug clear end of included DB-9 serial cable into PowerLinc Modem’s interface port
4) Plug black end of cable into an available serial port on your PC

PowerLinc Modem is now ready
​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​----​--------

Question is this: #4 says plug into available serial port on PC... ?? 

Then later, under tips:

"If computer’s serial port is shared with another hardware device (scanner, PDA, etc.) be sure to turn off that device’s program on the PC. If left running, the home automation software will not be able to communicate with PowerLinc Modem."

WTF? PDA??

Might be easier if I were there, but I'm simply not following this.

Am I missing something here?

lol... well, that makes me feel better. Thanks.

So, let me correct that.. it initially looked to me like you were replacing a bad PLM, not installing a new one from scratch.

I recommend this, since you have no existing Insteon devices with links to restore:

• You'll need a ethernet CAT5E cable dedicated to the PLM
  • Connect the Cat5e cable to ISY’s Port A and the other end to the PLM
  • Unplug the ISY and PLM
  • Plug in the PLM, wait 10 seconds
  • Plug in the ISY, let it start up
  • Start linking insteon devices

Since you have no Insteon devices, the restore PLM steps will not hurt anything, but not do anything either.

Also be aware of the need to bridge your power legs on your electrical system using 2 dual band devices, so that you can expand your insteon network with more devices. The PLM is one of those 2 dual band devices.

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=INSTEON:_Troubleshooting_Communications_Errors

Paul

Ok, thanks... trying it now.

Gotta say - should be plug and play at this point. 

"Bridging power legs"... not sure what that is, so hopefully what should be a smooth install won't spin out of control here...

Will let you know how it goes!

[edit]

Step 1... ok, that worked perfectly!
Now, to see if I can get the remote added...

[edit 2]

No luck with the remote. I've followed the directions found here.

And here.

cheers

Andrew

Andrew

Glad things are working. 

My comments on 'bridging' in the above post is a topic that new Insteon users usually need to address... if you plan to keep adding more Insteon to your system. 

Typically houses have 2 120 volt legs that supply power. Approximately half of lights, outlets, etc are fed by 1 leg, half by the other. The Insteon powerline signal can not typically move across those legs on its own The symptom would be, sometime in the future you add something like an iolinc, and the ISY will not be able to communicate with it.  There are Insteon devices to help with this and a way to test that the Insteon signal is bridging... or not.

Maybe for now don't worry about it, but if you plan to significantly expand Insteon on your system, check the forum or start a post if you have trouble adding new Insteon plugin devices or switches.

Paul

Ah yes - Ok, thanks. I know that our house has at least 2 - our wiring is weird - but now I know what you mean.

I do plan on expanding (one thing at a time... see comment regarding remote!) but it's very helpful to know that.

thanks.

Typically houses have 2 120 volt legs that supply power. Approximately half of lights, outlets, etc are fed by 1 leg, half by the other. 

Ah yes - Ok, thanks. I know that our house has at least 2 - our wiring is weird - but now I know what you mean.

I do plan on expanding (one thing at a time... see comment regarding remote!) but it's very helpful to know that.

thanks.

You home has exactly two opposite legs provided by a split, single-phase electric supply. I can virtually guarantee that your wiring is not weird B)

Archived