Insteon Siren

paulbates

Insteon Released a Siren/Chime module.

It has arm / disarm capability, which suggests that SmartHome are possibly sneaking up on formal alarm system capability. However

this doesn't address the unsupervised design of current Insteon sensors. That continues to make it not a peer to formal, monitored alarm systems with supervised sensors, which are capable of monitoring and insurance discounts.

The ultimate vision is still a little blurry to me, e.g. ... are supervised sensors and an alarm panel on someone's drawing board?

It also touts being configurable without the hub, giving hope that UDI cam add it when the config info is provided to them:

Without Insteon Hub: Don't have Insteon Hub? You can still configure and control Siren directly from other Insteon devices. Arm and disarm from a keypad, sound the alarm with sensors and notify with the chime, all without software or a central controller.

feature-compatible-hardware-no-hub.png?f

Insteon Released a Siren/Chime module.

It has arm / disarm capability, which suggests that SmartHome are possibly sneaking up on formal alarm system capability. However

this doesn't address the unsupervised design of current Insteon sensors. That continues to make it not a peer to formal, monitored alarm systems with supervised sensors, which are capable of monitoring and insurance discounts.

The ultimate vision is still a little blurry to me, e.g. ... are supervised sensors and an alarm panel on someone's drawing board?

It also touts being configurable without the hub, giving hope that UDI cam add it when the config info is provided to them:

Without Insteon Hub: Don't have Insteon Hub? You can still configure and control Siren directly from other Insteon devices. Arm and disarm from a keypad, sound the alarm with sensors and notify with the chime, all without software or a central controller.

feature-compatible-hardware-no-hub.png?f

The link you provided is dead, but it's now on the Smarthome site  http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-siren-2868-222.html?src=Froogle&gclid=COSEtNPRvNACFY9cfgodCNQBoA

It has a 115db siren and a 100db chime.  Think about the possibilities, an all on event in the middle of the night + 115db siren.

I wonder if this is going to replace their previously released alert module?

The link you provided is dead, but it's now on the Smarthome site  http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-siren-2868-222.html?src=Froogle&gclid=COSEtNPRvNACFY9cfgodCNQBoA

It has a 115db siren and a 100db chime.  Think about the possibilities, an all on event in the middle of the night + 115db siren.

I wonder if this is going to replace their previously released alert module?

Thanks, I will update the link... doh

As a new device, I would hope and pray that it had been All-On immunized

Paul

The Insteon Siren will more than likely replace the existing *Alert Module*. The device comes with a clear sticker that covers the siren. I would highly suggest you keep that sticker on because the module in both chime & siren modes is extremely loud. No one will have any issue hearing this device and it ultimately replaces *Buzz Linc* so many of us have been using.

All devices now shipping no longer include the ALL ON / ALL OFF command set. But keep in mind this assumes that was the command being sent and not a ON, Fast On, Off, Fast Off.

One very nice feature which I had asked for in the *Wish List* a very long time ago was native beep and flash. This unit when paired to a responder will indeed make that linked device flash.

Unfortunately there is no native beep in this hardware though . . .

I believe its safe to say this new version the general public will indeed be very impressed.

I wounder how long Smartlabs will drag their feet this time? How many months did UDI wait for any API data to support the Alert Module?

The FCC ID 2457D2A on my 2867-222 is the SAME ID listed on the new siren modules specification page.

Maybe they reworked the older model for improved performance. I know my Alert Modules have a very wimpy sound output.

I really hope it's not too long as I have two on hand just waiting to be added into the ISY Series Controller.

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

I have to guess yes, as has been pointed out, they are too similar to each other.  

The device uses Insteon commands for communicating to and from it, It seems like it could be linked to a plm connected to a PC via Houselinc, and the HL activity log used to capture the detailed message content going back and forth... both as its linked, as well as accessed...... reverse engineer it to get the "API".

Paul

If we are lucky. Both the new siren module and older alert modules. Will use the same basic API.

I have my alert modules for close to a year now and all I do is burn them in and test with a spare KPL to sound them.

Hello Brian,

I don't own the version you have now so if you could offer some insight about how it behaves that would be great.

- When you arm the unit what color is the LED?

- If you link it to a responder to *Chime* how long will that chime run for when activated?

- If you link it to a responder to *Siren* how long will it sound when activated?

- Does the hardware include an option to perform the 4 tap beacon mode?

- Does the unit include the option to change the LED brightness?

- Can you enable / disable RF vs Power Line?

- Is there a silent arming mode / delay?

Though I can't add it to my ISY setup. Manual Linking with Event Viewer Level 3 shows.

Firmware 43. Category 07 Subcategory 1A.

LED: Armed=Green Red=Not Armed.

Chime 3 short sounds. Maybe 1 to 2 seconds.

Mine seems to have two slightly different Siren sounds or my old ears are playing tricks on me.

When manually linking. First set button tap siren, second chime, third slightly different siren, forth set arm off LED goes Red.

Both Siren sounds 30 seconds.

Arming takes about 45 seconds. The beeper beeps and the Red LED flashes as it times out.

Four tap test works half way. If it is the one running the test. Other modules flash Red or Green depending on phase related to it.

Other modules starting the test. Flash the Green LED if it is On from both phases and Red if it is On from both phases.

I have seen no manual way to adjust LED brightness or power line and RF On and Off.

Though I can't add it to my ISY setup. Manual Linking with Event Viewer Level 3 shows.

Firmware 43. Category 07 Subcategory 1A.

LED: Armed=Green Red=Not Armed.

Chime 3 short sounds. Maybe 1 to 2 seconds.

Mine seems to have two slightly different Siren sounds or my old ears are playing tricks on me.

When manually linking. First set button tap siren, second chime, third slightly different siren, forth set arm off LED goes Red.

Both Siren sounds 30 seconds.

Arming takes about 45 seconds. The beeper beeps and the Red LED flashes as it times out.

Four tap test works half way. If it is the one running the test. Other modules flash Red or Green depending on phase related to it.

Other modules starting the test. Flash the Green LED if it is On from both phases and Red if it is On from both phases.

I have seen no manual way to adjust LED brightness or power line and RF On and Off.

As always, thank you Brian H!

I see they lowered the price of the Alert Module to $19.99.

I also forgot. If it was armed and there was a power loss. When power came back it was unarmed.

Well I decided to order a few of the new Siren Modules. Even though I usually stay away from newly released products.

This morning, Out of stock until 11/30/16.  Just looked again, now showing In Stock for shipping. The 20% Black Friday sale price did work.

11/24/16:

Email this morning. Shipped on 11/23/16. I may have some to test sometime next week.

UPS says 12/01/16 for a delivery date.

I got lucky. When I used the Black Friday / Cyber Monday code to order my Siren Modules. I did get the 20% off.

I just looked and they are again in stock but marked Excluded from Black Friday / Cyber Monday sale.

You're super lucky that doesn't happen very often . . .

Two 2868-222 Siren Modules.
Hardware: R4.0 Date Code: 3016
Data from Add New Device Start Linking Method. Event Viewer Level 3.
Category: 07, Subcategory: 1E, Firmware 45
FCC ID: SBP2457D2A {same as a 2457D2A LampLinc}.

Manually linked to a 2486D KeypadLinc. Hardware 1.4. Firmware .29
Main Button set Module Armed {Green LED} Unarmed {Red LED}.
A Button Siren
B Button Chime

Chime sound. Two cycles of a very clear Ding-Dong
Siren sound. 30 seconds clear loud sound. Manual says 2 minutes. Not sure if it maybe a software setting or misprint.

Siren and Chime sounds much clearer and louder than an Alert Module. Even with the sound reducing plastic still on the front of the Siren Module.

45 second Arm On delay. Red LED flashes and module beeps.
If it is Armed. Another Arm On command starts the Arm Delay again.

If it is Armed and the AC power is cycled Off for a minute, then back On. Siren Module always defaults to Unarmed.

Communications tests:
If the test is started on the Siren Module. Other Dual Band Devices will flash Red or Green. Depending on their AC powers phase.
If another Dual Band Device starts the test from either phase. The siren module beeps but NO LED flashing. Stays Red or Green
depending on if it is Armed or Unarmed.

The Up Arrow 'Sound Now' and Down Arrow 'Silence Now' buttons on the side. Worked as described in the Full Users Manual.

Brian H,

So considering you own both versions of this hardware from alert module to Insteon siren. 

1. Does it pass the sound level test? Given the older model was said to be too quiet.

2. Have you tested the unit by linking the siren to a responder device and noticed it can flash (strobe) the linked hardware?

3. Would you buy this again if you had to do it again at regular price?

4. What use case will you deploy this unit for?

5. What do you think about the use of the arming / disarming color LED?

6. Did you find any parts of the link management tough to figure out for a lay person?

As always your insight and feedback is greatly appreciated, Sir!

There is no simple On command like in the old X10 protocol with discrete addresses. Set with dials.

No it needs a controller linked to it to be sounded or armed and disarmed.

That is part of the Insteon protocol. A module will not do anything if a link is not in its database for the controller in question.

Teken mentioned something that is not very well covered in the Full Users Manual or not covered at all.

You can link the Siren Module as a controller to another module like a LampLinc. When the alarm is sounding. It will flash the light linked to it as a responder.

Also if there is a power loss to the Siren module or older Alert Module it defaults to unarmed and does not sound at all.

There is no simple On command like in the old X10 protocol with discrete addresses. Set with dials.

No it needs a controller linked to it to be sounded or armed and disarmed.

That is part of the Insteon protocol. A module will not do anything if a link is not in its database for the controller in question.

Teken mentioned something that is not very well covered in the Full Users Manual or not covered at all.

You can link the Siren Module as a controller to another module like a LampLinc. When the alarm is sounding. It will flash the light linked to it as a responder.

Also if there is a power loss to the Siren module or older Alert Module it defaults to unarmed and does not sound at all.

Brian H,

Much thanks for confirming the public release of this device indeed flashes the linked responder. In my tests I wanted to capture the on-off commands from the ISY Series Controller but since it can't be added that was never done.

This native *Flash* was one of my (Wish List) requests in their forums a year ago which was beep & flash. Its fantastic that someone decided to include my feature request. Doing so removes the load on the ISY Series Controller from doing the very same. What I am curious to see is what kind of power line / RF congestion this will do to a network that has lots of programs and schedules in the works.

Please let us know what you find in terms of insteon traffic / congestion . . .

I will relay to the forum members what I found in my lab tests.

I did not see it mentioned in the manual.

Only a "As a controller it can do Fast On and Fast Off" on the specification page of the manual.

I just saw the same Fast On and Fast Off as a controller in the Alert Modules manual. Guess another test is in the works.

I did not see it mentioned in the manual.

Only a "As a controller it can do Fast On and Fast Off" on the specification page of the manual.

I just saw the same Fast On and Fast Off as a controller in the Alert Modules manual. Guess another test is in the works.

Brian. Can you describe the chime sound?

Does it have a fast attack and slow decay like a real chime/bell sound or is it just another intermittent beeper sound like a sonalert sound with square wave modulation (on/off)?

Brian. Can you describe the chime sound?

Does it have a fast attack and slow decay like a real chime/bell sound or is it just another intermittent beeper sound like a sonalert sound with square wave modulation (on/off)?

It sounds just like a real *ding dong* door bell like those you hear when you enter a 7 Eleven's.

It goes Beeeee Booo . . . Beeeee Booo . . .

974f787489d7f6ff3a459f82c7a48809.jpg

Archived