Lights on at Sunset or after 5pm

pgreen

I would like to have some lights to come on 30 minutes before sunset but not before 5pm in the winter.

What is the best way to program this so that it works all year long?

i.e. in the summer 30 minutes before sunset could be as early as 3pm but I don't want lights to come on until 5pm.

In the middle of summer sunset might be at 8pm so I would like the lights to come on at 7:30pm.

Thoughts?

Peter

May take multiple programs.  My quick, brute-force approach, without much thought:

If

time is sunset -30 minutes

then

run second program (if path)

else

nothing

second program (disabled)

if

time is from 5:00

until 11:59  <<<pick time after latest sunset in your area

then

turn lights on

else

enable third program

third program (disabled)

if

time is 5:00

then

turn lights on

disable third program

You should be able to combine the conditions into one program...I think.

As long as you use time frames. Other event triggers are never true unless they are the centre of attention, so will not work with AND.

If

...from sunset -30 minutes

...to sunrise next day (thanks Stu)

AND

...from 5:00 PM

...to sunrise next day

then

...turn lights on

...wait 12 hours

... run else below

else

... turn the lights Off

Funny how sometimes I get stuck on making complex OR logic when the simple AND logic is what is required.

Many thanks for correcting my simple misdirection.

Yeah the logic can get very complex and you can actually lose strands of hair on your head.

I have some logic I stumble on every time I read it again but I know it works and I have worked it out with paper logic, but still it looks wrong.

The triggers can stretch the strict boolean algebra also with their double purpose, conditional and trigger, from the same statement.

oberkc's logic was my first thought also, but I was just lucky with a sudden idea. I'll brag once you prove it valid, but if it doesn't work...I was never here! :)

Archived