Procrastination pays off

paulbates

When i chose to not act on the echo capability of my ISY portal account, the universe stepped in... I know what my next project is ;)

attachicon.gifalexa2.png

You'll like it. It obsoletes wall panel touch screens, mini-remotes, and many other remote inputs for most applications, except where you have a room full of people talking and you want to demostrate.

It will make an *** out you every time with a room full of chatty people and it's severe ADHD.

I have a tabletop enclosure with a KPL less than an arm's reach from wherever I may sit or sleep. Since adding Echos (3) and Dots (9), the KPLs are nearly unused. A few more button to convert. Even the in-wall KPLs and SwitchLincs are rarely touched now.

There is definitely a spouse approval factor involved here, revolving around: "can" vs "should" :-P    

It may just show up with a few small jobs... the venstar thermostats and harmony remote are native and would bring the most wow factor for her first. I have 4 Insteon devices that share names that I have ignored for a while, need to fix that next for light control. To Larry's point, the unintended and misqued stuff will be the hurdle.

Paul

I don't get this spouse factor. It's never been an issue at my house. Maybe because I make everything work.

I'm Gary Funk and I approved this message.

I don't know Gary. I tried to make everything work here.

My wife said, "I'm retired. You go get a job, instead!'

but.... the latest WAF is

"Alexa. Turn on the Christmas Tree"

There is definitely a spouse approval factor involved here, revolving around: "can" vs "should" :-P    

It may just show up with a few small jobs... the venstar thermostats and harmony remote are native and would bring the most wow factor for her first. I have 4 Insteon devices that share names that I have ignored for a while, need to fix that next for light control. To Larry's point, the unintended and misqued stuff will be the hurdle.

Paul

Welcome to the VOCD** group!

** Vocal Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

There is definitely a spouse approval factor involved here, revolving around: "can" vs "should" .... the unintended and misqued stuff will be the hurdle.

It has been a constant struggle with my wife trying to justify the Echoes and Dots, and an incident that happened the other day certainly didn't help. My wife and I were sitting in our kitchen when every single light in our house spontaneously turned on. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why. It turned out my nephew was in the basement trying to get Alexa to turn on something down there and he accidentally turned on the "Emergency Lights" scene that is linked to my alarm system. Oops!  :oops:

Me too. Good stuff! Nothing like a Dot for swag

Yepl! I've learned to wary when I'm told after conference checkins to get my "swag", its usually a bag full of marketing junk. Not this time.. a dot and a nice hoodie. period.

It is a great conference... I've been to a number (non aws) of conferences where the content was too salesy or "bunnies & duckies".  I've gone to several health care industry specific sessions and they've package up and delivered exactly what I need to know in an hour. Its been a great week. 

i'm about halfway through the aws solutions arch cert. My current engagement is an azure migration, so I've had to redirect cert activity to there and will get back to aws cert next month.

Paul

Archived