Wait times shorter than a second in programs

sorka

Each Insteon command takes about 1/2 second to complete.

I just wrote a program with eight direct commands directly following each other.

It takes between 5 and 6 seconds to run, so a bit over 1/2 second per command.

Eight scenes ran a bit quicker, but still over 4 seconds.

So it doesn't seem very practical to have a Wait <1 second.

Rand

Each Insteon command takes about 1/2 second to complete.

I just wrote a program with eight direct commands directly following each other.

It takes between 5 and 6 seconds to run, so a bit over 1/2 second per command.

Eight scenes ran a bit quicker, but still over 4 seconds.

So it doesn't seem very practical to have a Wait <1 second.

Rand

I wouldn't tell that to Geoff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKqVtIrstkw

or to Jason http://www.jltsoft.com/

Hi,

Unfortunately we do not currently support wait times less than 1 second. Also, this feature has never been requested before and it is not trivial.

With kind regards,

Michel

Understood and it's not a feature that's needed as much as wanted.

However, the next time your wife leaves the house, stand up and say, "I laugh in the face of trival." Just don't let anyone else hear you.

You know, it's funny how as men, we are brave when the women aren't around. In fact, I can state firmly, I am the boss of my house (when the wife and kids are gone.)

Great job on .14 and so far, I haven't had any problems.

Yes, if you use 0 hops and no ACKs. I was going to mention LightShowMaster as I believe that is what Jason does.

Geoff is an Insteon engineer who wrote firmware to modify the PLMs he uses.

Rand

Point acknowledged. So, at this point can we tell the ISY to send raw commands to any unit? That way, for example, we could flash a light 2 to 4 times a second.

Hi Gary,

You can send raw commands to ISY using our JSDK. This said, however, you will not be able to do anything in less than 500 m.s intervals since ISY waits for the PLM to respond. This feature is ingrained into ISY ... you can change it (in the shall ... it's called Protocol Delay) but, then, say good bye to any regular communications you've had!

With kind regards,

Michel

Yes, if you use 0 hops and no ACKs. I was going to mention LightShowMaster as I believe that is what Jason does.

Geoff is an Insteon engineer who wrote firmware to modify the PLMs he uses.

Rand

Point acknowledged. So, at this point can we tell the ISY to send raw commands to any unit? That way, for example, we could flash a light 2 to 4 times a second.

That does not sound like a good idea. It's one thing to exploite the ISY, but I wouldn't change any of its code as we all know what happens then.

Hi Gary,

You can send raw commands to ISY using our JSDK. This said, however, you will not be able to do anything in less than 500 m.s intervals since ISY waits for the PLM to respond. This feature is ingrained into ISY ... you can change it (in the shall ... it's called Protocol Delay) but, then, say good bye to any regular communications you've had!

With kind regards,

Michel

I don't think the ISY will ever allow that. Heck, you're supposed to forget you have it :D

I believe you would be better off with a dedicated PLM and program (and LampLincs) for light shows. Let the ISY handle the rest of the home. LightShowMaster if you insist on Insteon, Light-O-Rama for the ultimate.

Rand

I don't think the ISY will ever allow that. Heck, you're supposed to forget you have it :D

I believe you would be better off with a dedicated PLM and program (and LampLincs) for light shows. Let the ISY handle the rest of the home. LightShowMaster if you insist on Insteon, Light-O-Rama for the ultimate.

Rand

My wanting this is to flash a lamp on and off. I have a motion sensor on the front porch. When UPS makes a hit-and-run, it flashs the lamp to let us know someone was at the door.

Turn on lamp A

wait .5

Turn on lamp B

wait .5

turn off lamp A

wait .5

turn off lamp b

wait .5

repeat 3 times

as it is, I wait 1 second. I just wish it was a little faster.

My wanting this is to flash a lamp on and off. I have a motion sensor on the front porch. When UPS makes a hit-and-run, it flashs the lamp to let us know someone was at the door.

Turn on lamp A

wait .5

Turn on lamp B

wait .5

turn off lamp A

wait .5

turn off lamp b

wait .5

repeat 3 times

as it is, I wait 1 second. I just wish it was a little faster.

Remove the Waits, it will be ~1/2 second between states. BTW, the Repeat will not from the bottom, it must be the first command.

Here is what I used at Midnight NewYears. Five seconds get pretty annoying, that's what I wanted ;) Using one program to control the other limits the time rather than the number of repeats.

Scene: New Year Lights
Contains all the lights to flash
with normal levels and ramp rates.

Program: Midnight NewYears
If
       Time is 12:00:00AM on 2009/01/01

Then
       Run Program 'Flash Lights' (Then Path)
       Wait  5 seconds
       Stop program 'Flash Lights'
       Set Scene 'New Year Lights' On

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Program: Flash Lights
If
  - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
       Repeat Every  1 second
          Set Scene 'New Year Lights' Fast On
          Set Scene 'New Year Lights' Fast Off
          Set Scene 'New Year Lights' Fast On
          Set Scene 'New Year Lights' Fast Off

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Rand

Archived