Help with what should be a simple program...but ain't

curmudgeon

Simply trying to control my garage lights with a Open/close sensor and a 2466S toggle link relay switch (fluorescent lights).

Program reads:

If status "garage sensor-opened" is ON

Then   Set "garage switch" ON

Else  Set "garage switch"  OFF

Lights turn on when door opens just as wanted,  but do not turn off when door is closed (and sensor goes to "off/closed" setting.)

So what am I doing wrong here?   BTW, there is a range extender plugged in about 15 ft. from light switch.

I have to agree with oberkc.

The fluorescent lights, once on, could be creating powerline noise thus interfering with the off signal.

If you can turn the lights on and off from the switch then I would try plugging the range extender into the IOLinc which might help improve the signal.

Do you have other dual band devices close by other than your range extender.

Revised the program this morning,  but result the same.  Lights won't turn off.

Will turn off manually at switch,  but will not turn off manually from the admin console "off" command.  Sometimes get "cannot communicate" error message when I try that approach.

Not sure what you are referring to as "IOLinc".  Using toggle link switch 2466S and open/close sensor 2843-222 (magnetic contact switch).  Nothing to "plug into".

But you may be right about lights interfering/ballasts interfering with "close" command.  Will try to check that, but they are all wired together.

And no, no other dual band device in the garage.

Really appreciate the suggestions and I'll report back if I can find a physical fix/problem.

screen shot device communication log link below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9up1mpmxh1z9n7r/Screenshot%202016-12-01%2010.43.13.jpg?dl=0

disconnected (removed bulbs) from every lamp in the garage.  No joy.  Tried moving the range extender around.  No joy.

Finally decided to try wireless approach (open close sensor signaling switch directly) without involving ISY.   Had to do some moving around of range extender ,  but finally got everything to work as desired.

Put mag switches on two garage doors and one entry door,  wired them in series (?) to the open/close sensor and now if ANY door opens, lights go on.  When ALL doors are closed, all lights go out.

It was a struggle,  but worth it in the end.   Thanks guys so much for your suggestions.  They didn't solve the problem, but prompted me to move on and try another approach which did work.

Revised the program this morning,  but result the same.  Lights won't turn off.

Will turn off manually at switch,  but will not turn off manually from the admin console "off" command.  Sometimes get "cannot communicate" error message when I try that approach.

Not sure what you are referring to as "IOLinc".  Using toggle link switch 2466S and open/close sensor 2843-222 (magnetic contact switch).  Nothing to "plug into".

But you may be right about lights interfering/ballasts interfering with "close" command.  Will try to check that, but they are all wired together.

Really appreciate the suggestions and I'll report back if I can find a physical fix/problem.

https://ww

w.dropbox.com/s/9up1mpmxh1z9n7r/Screenshot%202016-12-01%2010.43.13.jpg?dl=0

Sorry, I thought you were using an IOLinc to monitor the garage door.

Even with the bulbs removed the ballasts can still be a problem by injecting noise into the powerline.

You should do a 4 tap test on the range extender to verify that it's communicating with your other devices and the ISY and that both legs of your powerline are properly bridged     

Revised the program this morning, but result the same. Lights won't turn off.

Will turn off manually at switch, but will not turn off manually from the admin console "off" command. Sometimes get "cannot communicate" error message when I try that approach.

Not sure what you are referring to as "IOLinc". Using toggle link switch 2466S and open/close sensor

2843-222 (magnetic contact switch). Nothing to "plug into".

But you may be right about lights interfering/ballasts interfering with "close" command. Will try to check that, but they are all wired together.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9up1mpmxh1z9n7r/Screenshot%202016-12-01%2010.43.13.jpg?dl=0

What hardware are you using on the GDC?

I'm Gary Funk and I approved this message.

Sorry, I though you were using an IOLinc to monitor the garage door.[/size]

Even with the bulbs removed the ballasts can still be a problem by injecting noise into the powerline.[/size]

You should do a 4 tap test on the range extender to verify that it's communicating with your other devices and the ISY and that both legs of your powerline are properly bridged[/size]   [/size]   [/size]

[/size]

I was thinking that too but I think there were other GDO threads going on at the same time.
Not sure what you are referring to as "IOLinc"

Sorry.  My mind immediately goes to an IOLinc when I think of garage doors.  I am sure that I started the confusion with Techman also.

Finally decided to try wireless approach (open close sensor signaling switch directly) without involving ISY.   Had to do some moving around of range extender ,  but finally got everything to work as desired.

This tends to suggest to me that your original program was that, for whatever reason, your ISY was not seeing the status of the open/close sensor.  I do not believe it was a program problem.  The other's "4-tap" suggestions were intended to further confirm this problems, but I see no indication that you attempted this step.

Put mag switches on two garage doors and one entry door,  wired them in series (?) to the open/close sensor and now if ANY door opens, lights go on.

I am not even sure how one does this.  The open/close sensor is a battery device, with no wires attached.  How did you "wired them in series"?

Sorry.  My mind immediately goes to an IOLinc when I think of garage doors.  I am sure that I started the confusion with Techman also.

This tends to suggest to me that your original program was that, for whatever reason, your ISY was not seeing the status of the open/close sensor.  I do not believe it was a program problem.  The other's "4-tap" suggestions were intended to further confirm this problems, but I see no indication that you attempted this step.

I am not even sure how one does this.  The open/close sensor is a battery device, with no wires attached.  How did you "wired them in series"?

The open close sensor has an option (screw terminals) to attach an external sensor.

The open close sensor has an option (screw terminals) to attach an external sensor.

Really? 

You mean we have been paying big bucks for the silly IO/Linc to get a status contact input all this time???

Why didn't you say so before? ...like two years ago?  :)

OMG! Awesome!

Really? 

You mean we have been paying big bucks for the silly IO/Linc to get a status contact input all this time???

Why didn't you say so before? ...like two years ago?   :)

OMG! Awesome!

The downside is that it has batteries that need to be replaced. I attached the manual.

The IOLinc can be queried, the sensor can't. I prefer the IOlinc when I have an outlet close by.

2843-222 Open-Close Sensor.pdf

Really? 

Why didn't you say so before? ...like two years ago?   :)

OMG! Awesome!

I even claim to read the manuals and did not catch that one. 

Archived