Alexa! Turn On <variable_name> in 15 minutes

larryllix

In order to ensure I have the latest software loaded I disabled the V2 skill again and the Alexa app would not let me link the accounts again. Each time it gave linking failure errors and to try again later.

After about five tries, and a five minute rest it succeeded again and discover went normally. This would seem to be some communication problems between the two clouds services as no login info was involved. Another browser didn't help.

BTW: The app download (mobile browser detected) is still caught by detecting Canadian origin, and refuses to be given out. I thought I may get a newer version of the app, right from the horse's mouth. No such luck. :(

On the same page denying download to this country they announce it is available in the UK and Germany now.

How do I get Alexa to recognize the state variables that I added to my ISY portal?

I'm create a state variable, add it to the portal and then try to set it to on/1 and Alexa does not recognize it.  I tried detecting devices, etc. and nothing works.  Is there some software that needs to be updated for state variable support?

For example:

create state variable "home security" (ISY).  This enables my security system.

add the variable to the ISY Portal using the spoken word "security"

Alexa does not recognize the "turn on security" or any iteration.

thanks,  Roland

Can you confirm that you are using the smart home skill "ISY Optimized for Smart Home V2". This functionnality is implemented only in V2. I'm asking, because I still see a few users using it.

I would also suggest to "Forget all devices and groups", and do a "Discover devices".

You should then see it in the Alexa App.

If not, please PM me your uuid, I will investigate logs.

Thanks,

Benoit.

I am not sure if this is what Benoit was telling you but.. Check what is heard and converted to text in the Alexa app.

I had huge problems with the vocal "effect" and "special effect". Alexa hangs on to the word "facts" and won't let go.

I changed it to "test lights" and it works better.

I am not sure if this is what Benoit was telling you but.. Check what is heard and converted to text in the Alexa app.

I had huge problems with the vocal "effect" and "special effect". Alexa hangs on to the word "facts" and won't let go.

I changed it to "test lights" and it works better.

Alexa wasn't expecting "... eh" after every phrase :D

Alexa wasn't expecting "... eh" after every phrase :D

That gives me a good idea how to implement a whole 'nuther bank of devices with the same names! :)

Who, here, is ever going to know?

Alexa. Turn on the toaster eh?

OK Benoit! Can we get a predefined user settable, value for the word "A" = "eh"? :)

Now we could set a variable to ON. Off, or Eh.

Oh and the Americans are going to want "Huh" also.

I wonder what the S.Americans have in common usage terminology.

Considering that nearly half of the population of South America lives in a country that speaks a different language and has a different cultural heritage than the other half, there's a high likelihood that there's not much terminology in common usage B)

Huh? :)

Depends where you are.

If somebody in Europe said "America" I would consider Canada as a Yes.

If somebody in Europe said "American" I wwould consider Canadians as No.

Strange, in my cultural area We use the term "American" for the poeple in the USA and yet we would never said "in America". We would say "in the U.S." or "In the States". America means more N.America.

I know the Mexicans hate it, being Ustates Unidos (United States) themselves. :) All cutural dependent, like yogourt.

I wonder what the S.Americans have in common usage terminology.

"........I know the Mexicans hate it, being Ustates Unidos (United States) themselves.  :) All cutural dependent, like yogourt......"

Estados Unidos Mexicanos....

Mexicans are proud to consider themselves to be part of  America del Norte.

I wonder whether you guys have seen anything of Mexico beyond Tijuana and maybe a beach here or there....  It is actually a great country with lots of culture. Mexicans are proud people and have good reasons to be proud.

But anyway, let's focus back on the topics of this forum. Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah to all.

North American Numbering Plan. It decides who gets which Area Code in North America. I thought for sure you and Stu were experts on this.

How do you think I knew that Mexico never opted in.

I wonder whether you guys have seen anything of Mexico beyond Tijuana and maybe a beach here or there....  It is actually a great country with lots of culture. Mexicans are proud people and have good reasons to be proud.

But anyway, let's focus back on the topics of this forum. Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah to all.

Yes, all along the border from east to west, a bit of the Gulf coast and most of the Atlantic coast.

Tell that to Turkey.

I'm Gary Funk and I wrote this message.

Same goes for Turkey and Russian, they are on two continents :)

Or the fact that Greenland had always be associated with Norway and Denmark doesn't charge the fact they are not pay of Europe (as continent) but part of North America (as continent) :)

Sent from Tapatalk on S7 Edge

Alaska is attached to Canada, Hawaii is not on any continent, but they're both part of the U.S. Is Puerto Rico next? The residents will decide no matter if they're men or women or both!

Mexico didn't want to be associated with North America. But we all know politics plays a crazy part in every country.

Gary Funk

Merry Christmas

Gary,  so much nonsense about Mexico, where I lived several years.  They very much consider to be part of North America and I fail to understand how a phone area code would change that.  Coming back to this forum......  Mexico uses same Zwave frequency as we do. North America after all  !!!!!   :-)

The discussion was started about the word 'variable'... we've stayed on track in that way

I am finding what Benoit stated regarding percent usage.

I find the syntax very misunderstood much of the time unless percent is used.

. Alexa. Turn On Test Lights to 28 percent

is syntactically incorrect as the 28 is the effect number.

I think the use of the On and Off parsing may be causing trouble, more than any device or program, for some reason.

I have written three ISY programs to control a test light board I am writing python3 animation software for.

One program detects $sVariable = 0 sends Off command to RPi

One program detects $sVariable = 255 sends On command to RPi

One program detects $sVariable > 0 AND $sVariable < 40 sends NR with effect $variable to RPi.

An alternate word for percent would be nice here.

I am finding what Benoit stated regarding percent usage.

I find the syntax very misunderstood much of the time unless percent is used.

. Alexa. Turn On Test Lights to 28 percent

is syntactically incorrect as the 28 is the effect number.

I think the use of the On and Off parsing may be causing trouble, more than any device or program, for some reason.

I have written three ISY programs to control a test light board I am writing python3 animation software for.

One program detects $sVariable = 0 sends Off command to RPi

One program detects $sVariable = 255 sends On command to RPi

One program detects $sVariable > 0 AND $sVariable < 40 sends NR with effect $variable to RPi.

An alternate word for percent would be nice here.

Unfortunately, we don't have control over that.

From Alexa's perspective, it's a regular device with dimming capability, and the dimming level is meant to be specified as a percentage. It may understand it without the word percent, but it may not too.

I've been thinking that I could also make it appear as a thermostat. That would allow to say: Alexa, set <device> to 28

Not sure how "degree" will be important to be spoken or not.

Benoit.

From Alexa's perspective, it's a regular device with dimming capability, and the dimming level is meant to be specified as a percentage. It may understand it without the word percent, but it may not too.

I've been thinking that I could also make it appear as a thermostat. That would allow to say: Alexa, set <device> to 28

Benoit.

That would definitely present some options for usage.

The percentage should work well for blinds and devices that have analogue levels that can be set.

I should do some experiemnts with other devices, setting them to dim levels without the percent word. Maybe the difference is only perception.

Benoit.

What would you make appear as a thermostat, a scene? I've never had to say "degrees" with any Insteon thermostat.

Archived