Alexa! Turn On <variable_name> in 15 minutes

larryllix

That would definitely present some options for usage.

The percentage should work well for blinds and devices that have analogue levels that can be set.

I should do some experiemnts with other devices, setting them to dim levels without the percent word. Maybe the difference is only perception.

It's a perception for sure. For Alexa, a state var is nothing more than a device with the same 5 controls as a dimmer (On, Off, set to %, brighten, dim)

What would you make appear as a thermostat, a scene?

No scenes involved here.

When Alexa does a device discovery, the server has to return a list of devices along with the controls available for each of those devices. What I could do is for state var is that in addition to controls for a dimmer, I could add the controls that are thermostat specific.

This means that a state var "devices" would react to the vernacular of both a dimmer and a thermostat.

Turn on <device> to 25 percent

and

Set <device> 25 degrees

and all the accepted variations would have the same effect, to set the state var to 25.

I've never had to say "degrees" with any Insteon thermostat.

This is good. This makes the idea even more interesting.

Hello all,

I would like to remind everyone that this is not a political, geopolitical, religious, news, or opinions forum. This site is dedicated to ISY/UDI/Home Automation/Energy Management topics and another channel for ISY users to find help/support. I cannot fathom why a subject such as Alexa and variables turned into geopolitical discussion of cultures, nations, people, and concluded that "Half the posts on this forum are nonsense". In short, if you are contributing to the nonsense, please take a deep breath, AND STOP.

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived