OutletLinc Turning Off Randomly

TVC15

I have an OutletLinc Dimmer v.41 with my Christmas tree plugged in to it. That and four other OutletLinc dimmers are in a scene and are controlled by either one SwitchLinc Dimmer for manual use OR an ISY program that turns that scene on at Sunset and off at 1am.

The Christmas tree OutletLinc will turn off anywhere from 30 seconds to five minutes after being turned on via either method.  The ISY log shows the status going on at the 60% setting and to off at 0%.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot what is causing this one OutletLinc to turn off?

Hi Glen

Any chance that device had another job in the past in a program and/or another scene? 

Start by going to the device tree and click on the device, look at the scenes its in on the right. Are the only scenes there that you currently intend it to be a responder to?

If that test doesn't pan out, can you post the log at level III (Tool/Diagnostics/Events ... set it to level three).  Post activity a little before and a little after when this happens

Paul

Christmas tree lights. I used them in this same outlet for the same tree last year and they worked great. Testing with a regular incandesent light this afternoon. Thanks!!!

That doesn't provide any information. Some Christmas lights are dimmable, others are not.

Glen

Since its load related, here are somethings to try.

• I plug an old phone charger into the light strings somewhere to kill the 'glow' in the lights when the device is off, maybe that will make the outletlinc happy?
  • Or, turn off the Load Sense feature with the options in the admin console

Paul

That doesn't provide any information. Some Christmas lights are dimmable, others are not.

True!  I don't know if they are rated as "dimmable" or not. They are on a tree we bought from Costco 5+ years ago. I used to dim them with a manual slider. I couldn't find anything on the lights stating they were dimmable. Any other ideas?

Glen

Since its load related, here are somethings to try.

• I plug an old phone charger into the light strings somewhere to kill the 'glow' in the lights when the device is off, maybe that will make the outletlinc happy?
  • Or, turn off the Load Sense feature with the options in the admin console

Paul

Thanks, Paul. Can you point me in the direction on how to turn off the "load sense" feature? I'm running version 4.5.4 of the ISY994i/PRO but could not find that setting option. I'm going to also try your phone charger suggestion.

Hi Glen

If you open the Admin Console, click on the outletlinc on the device tree, there might be an "Options" button towards the lower right side. Click it, and there may be an option for it. The manual says load sense is a software feature (page 12) .. hopefully there is an option in the Admin console

http://cache.insteon.com/documentation/2472D-en.pdf

If that isn't possible, I think plugging in an old phone charger should do it.

Paul

Thanks, Paul. Can you point me in the direction on how to turn off the "load sense" feature? I'm running version 4.5.4 of the ISY994i/PRO but could not find that setting option. I'm going to also try your phone charger suggestion.

The ISY does not have that option for the OutletLinc dimmer. The manual indicates that only software can change the setting, only HouseLinc is mentioned.

I just tested in a different OutletLinc and the same thing happened, the lights turned off. BTW, the ISY does not report the "state" of the device as being off. So, it appears that it is the lights on the tree that are shutting down.  Oh, well. Back to a manual timer for now! $#!@#!

I just tested in a different OutletLinc and the same thing happened, the lights turned off. BTW, the ISY does not report the "state" of the device as being off. So, it appears that it is the lights on the tree that are shutting down.  Oh, well. Back to a manual timer for now! $#!@#!

Glen

One other possibility is the lights are a major source of noise. Do you have a plug in filter to try between the outletlinc and lights? I have an outletlinc on the outside of my house that would shut off and freeze up after 20 minutes controlling older intermatic landscape lighting. A plug in filter cured that, until I replaced it all with LEDs

Paui

Glen

One other possibility is the lights are a major source of noise. Do you have a plug in filter to try between the outletlinc and lights? I have an outletlinc on the outside of my house that would shut off and freeze up after 20 minutes controlling older intermatic landscape lighting. A plug in filter cured that, until I replaced it all with LEDs

Paui

I don't but I will pick one up. Thanks for the suggestion!

Just don't use a dimmer!

Thanks Stu, but, I already have a dimmable OutletLinc installed at the location where we place our Christmas tree. So, my only other option is to plug it in to the bottom plug and not be able to control it with my ISY.

Not sure what you mean, Gary? Is there a separate software package that is utilized with the ISY other than UD Administrative Console?

Someone suggested it could only be changed with software. I thought the ISY used software but I'm probably wrong.

I'm Gary Funk and I approved this message.

Glen

The outletlinc manual said that the Sense option can be turned off with software only; 

I wasn't sure if the Admin Console could configure the software option for the outletlinc for disabling sense.

As it turns out, the ISY can not. So its a dead end for that as an option for you.

Paul

Thanks Stu, but, I already have a dimmable OutletLinc installed at the location where we place our Christmas tree. So, my only other option is to plug it in to the bottom plug and not be able to control it with my ISY.

Plug an On/Off Module into the Always On receptacle (bottom).

Glen

The outletlinc manual said that the Sense option can be turned off with software only; 

I wasn't sure if the Admin Console could configure the software option for the outletlinc for disabling sense.

As it turns out, the ISY can not. So its a dead end for that as an option for you.

Paul

See post #14

Someone suggested it could only be changed with software. I thought the ISY used software but I'm probably wrong.

The Owner's Manual mentions software, but that's a separate entity from the ISY.

Archived