Will Insteon dimmer work with ELV LED lights?

x046866x

I'm putting some new LED lights in a chandelier that I'm hoping I can control with an Insteon dimmer switch.  The bulbs say that they are compatible with an ELV dimmer....will the new Insteon toggle dimmer switch work with these bulbs?

I'm putting some new LED lights in a chandelier that I'm hoping I can control with an Insteon dimmer switch.  The bulbs say that they are compatible with an ELV dimmer....will the new Insteon toggle dimmer switch work with these bulbs?

Are you asking if Insteon uses leading edge vs trailing edge dimming technology? Ultimately it makes no difference what the paper spec says what matters is (IF) it operates as expected in your personal environment.

By this I don't simply mean it turns on and off . . .

While I saw mention of the leading edge/trailing edge with regard to ELV I'm not sure I'm EE saavy enough to understand it.  What I'm concerned about it whether the Insteon toggle dimmer switch will dim the bulbs (I have 9 in the chandlier).

I can't specificly answer your question but I can tell you I have only LED bulbs in my house and every bulb is on an Insteon dimmer of some type. I use KeypadKinc, SwitchLinc, FanLinc and LampLinc modules. All work fine and dim well.

Gary Funk

Merry Christmas

While I saw mention of the leading edge/trailing edge with regard to ELV I'm not sure I'm EE saavy enough to understand it.  What I'm concerned about it whether the Insteon toggle dimmer switch will dim the bulbs (I have 9 in the chandlier).

If the bulbs in question are dimmable you have a 50/50 chance of success. By this I mean the bulbs will indeed turn on-off. Whether or not they *Dim* to your expected reference which most people use a incandescent as the base line.

Is up to chance in your own personal environment and how much *Give* you are willing to offer the two products. Specifically many accept that LED bulbs will not dim from 100 to 0 %. Many of them will go down to 10% some rare bulbs will dim to 5% before cut off.

The above has no relations to the following though: Transition, Noise, Flicker, etc.

Key thing to note is even if you find out the bulbs turn on and off you may notice they make noise when dimmed whether it be buzzing, humming, pulsing, flicker, strobing, etc. Assume none of this happens but you notice the switch can turn on the load but can't turn it off?

This is because the bulb is either a signal sucker or noise maker and thus impacts the Insteon signal from getting through and being received. Keeping in mind you literally selected the only Insteon lighting hardware that still is power line only and not dual band. This legacy device is also the only hardware not updated since deployment and hence doesn't offer any of the upgraded PSU, wide voltage use, and surge protection.

What does this all mean in the long run?

It means your Insteon network will require a properly and secure coupled / bridged network via other dual band devices in the home. 

I've already got a phase coupler installed off the breaker box and a few wireless extenders within earshot so I should be good there.  I guess I'll try it with one switch first...but would the internal circuitry on the 2477D be any more forgiving of these LED bulbs? https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/173839/BULBRI-10001.html  I'm OK with moving to the larger switch if that helps improve my dimming chances.

I've already got a phase coupler installed off the breaker box and a few wireless extenders within earshot so I should be good there.  I guess I'll try it with one switch first...but would the internal circuitry on the 2477D be any more forgiving of these LED bulbs? https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/173839/BULBRI-10001.html  I'm OK with moving to the larger switch if that helps improve my dimming chances.

I would say use what you have and go from there and see if the Insteon network behaves as expected. If so great and move on and enjoy the home automation you have in place. If on the other hand it doesn't you can move forward and make another purchase of the 2477D.

As noted by others I've had great success with Insteon and dimmable LED bulb fixtures. Trial and error is sadly the only true test in ones home that matters the most. It doesn't matter what I or anyone else tells you each home and environment is unique so that is what you should base your buying / installation on.

When I installed recessed LED light Sylvania 71707 Which are ELV dimmable I ended up using ELV Zwave dimmer: Leviton VRE06-1LZ Vizia RF +.

Insteon dimmers would not dim these lights.

The specs indicate that an incandescent dimmer will work if you have a minimum of 40 watts which requires at least four of the bulbs being controlled by the same incandescent dimmer.

Wow, I noticed the link provided indicates that Z-Wave switch is $99.XX that makes the most expensive regular priced KPL look cheap! Its also interesting to note how common and expected human ergonomic features like the status LED's can be screwed up. Its fair to say most people have come to expect and appreciate the LED level to go up and down vs increasing from left to right.

Smartlabs clearly used lots of common sense in their simplistic deployment of the same. Can anyone who owns this Z-Wave switch offer any insight about the *Energy Save* feature listed in the advert?

How and what does it do and are there options to be invoked by the end user? 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a number of the Leviton Vizia rf+ Dimmer Switch VRMX1-1L.  I have attached the instructions.  The energy save is a preset on level and one of a number of programmable settings.  I'm happy with the switch but have experienced the following:

When the switch is acted on by the ISY it ignores the programmed ramp rate, defaulting to about 2 seconds.  I assume it is the ISY that is driving this behavior and wonder if it can it be adjusted.

Z-Wave Leviton Dimmer Switch VRMX1.pdf

Archived