Execute Network Resource with Alexa

IggyLites

Hello all:

After a lot of plowing through the forums I've managed to both get my Echo working AND get ISY to spit out serial strings for my Somfy shades....now how do I manage to trigger them from Alexa?

i.e. if I say "it's bedtime" I'd like my lights to dim down AND close all the shades.  Any idea how I would do that?

Thanks!

Oh I see! I didn't realize I could leave the If blank.

So I can't adjust a whole scene in one fell swoop in a program?  I see that in the "Adjust Scene" I can adjust individual devices, but can I just run the full scene to 0% or 100% somehow?  I can't see where that would be...

The vocal syntax is somewhat restrictive though.

• Alexa. Turn On XXXXX
  •  
  • Alexa Turn On XXXXX to 40%
  •  
  • Alexa. Turn Off XXXXX
  •  
  • Alexa Open XXXXX
  •  
  • Alexa Close XXXXX.
  •  

Where XXXX is a Program (Then/else), a Scene(On/Off), a device (On/Off/%), and now a state variable (definable On/Off/%)

The syntax can also be turned around but some have more trouble with that.

•  
  • Alexa. Turn XXXX On
  •  
  • Alexa. XXXX On

Yeah I just noticed that.  "turn it's bedtime on" songs kinda goofy.  But that's easily solved by changing the name. So the serial thing worked, but the scene didn't...which is odd.

Yeah, some thinking goes into each vocal definition for smooth syntax.

Alexa. Turn On bedtime lights

Alexa. Turn On bedtime sequence

Alexa. Turn bedtime lights on.

I tried all kinds of xxxx mood and xxxx lights but it confused the search engine with so many similar names so I reduced all lighting items to xxxxx lights now and it hardly ever asks for what device? anymore.

The first word in the vocal seems to be the only word used, or it has the most weight in the search engine.

Adjust Scene is a program Action. You can adjust each device in the scene and then turn on the scene. You can also include a resource in the program to control the window coverings. For example:

If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
        Resource 'BR Courtyard/Pathway Close'

Else
        Resource 'BR Courtyard/Pathway Open'

I use On to close the window covering and Off to open it. Just keep in mind that "On" runs Then and "Off" runs Else. You can use any word for the spoken, for example, "Alexa, turn bedtime on."

Edit: You can also create a separate lighting scene for bedtime and not need to adjust the existing scene. That way, you won't need to reset your scene.

• Alexa. Turn On XXXXX
  •  
  •  
  • Alexa. Turn Off XXXXX
  •  
  • Alexa Open XXXXX
  •  
  • Alexa Close XXXXX.
  •  

Where XXXX is a Program (Then/else), a Scene(On/Off), a device (On/Off/%), and now a state variable (definable On/Off/%)

•  
  • Alexa. Turn XXXX On
  •  
  • Alexa. XXXX On

I don't think Open works, it keeps trying to enable a skill instead of executing a program.

Adjust Scene is a program Action. You can adjust each device in the scene and then turn on the scene. You can also include a resource in the program to control the window coverings. For example:

If

Then

Resource 'BR Courtyard/Pathway Close'

Else

Resource 'BR Courtyard/Pathway Open'

I use On to close the window covering and Off to open it. Just keep in mind that "On" runs Then and "Off" runs Else. You can use any word for the spoken, for example, "Alexa, turn bedtime on."

Edit: You can also create a separate lighting scene for bedtime and not need to adjust the existing scene. That way, you won't need to reset your scene.

Hey Stu, what are your spokens related to blinds? I am looking for ideas..

Sent from Tapatalk on S7 Edge

• 11 months later...

• Alexa. Turn On XXXXX
  •  
  •  
  • Alexa. Turn Off XXXXX
  •  
  • Alexa Open XXXXX
  •  
  • Alexa Close XXXXX.
  •  

•  
  • Alexa. Turn XXXX On
  •  
  • Alexa. XXXX On

Iarryllix, I have one of the Network Resources that you helped me create earlier (THANK YOU AGAIN!), that I was able to put into a Program, and then add to ISY Portal for Alexa Integration.  I have one Program which contains a Network Resource that turns the lights on bright, and then another Program which contains a Network Resource that turns the lights off.  

However, I'm now saying "Alexa turn on Hue OFF"

Is there a way to make a Program containing a Network Resource that I could say "Off" but really trigger it on?  

I took advantage of the "On" and "Off" keywords. So "Alexa turn on the living room shades" will open them (and let light in = turning on) and "Alexa turn off living room shades" will close them.

That always confused me, so I decided to use things like "Alexa turn on Daylight" and "Alexa, turn on Darkness"..

I don't even use them often now since thet are included in the Good Morning and Good night Routines :)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

That always confused me, so I decided to use things like "Alexa turn on Daylight" and "Alexa, turn on Darkness"..

I don't even use them often now since thet are included in the Good Morning and Good night Routines :)

If you're using a program, then On runs Then and Off runs Else, so you could turn "Daylight" on (Then statement) and/or off (Else statement). I was elated to learn about Alexa Routines and then  I installed v3 of hte ISY skill which does not support off at all for scenes and programs. I was temporarily disheartened.

The solution was to create a program for each scene and/or program that I wanted to turn off and place the appropriate statement(s) in the Then section. The original scene and/or program remains intact, it just can't be turned off. I use the routine to run the corresponding new program to turn a scene off or turn the corresponding new program that has the original programs Else statements in the Then section.

If and when v.3 gets fixed (it's in the hands of Amazon, not UDI), then I'll just delete the new programs and modify the affected Routine. Or even leave things as they are--probably not B)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I thought about something like "Turn on Darkness..." or "Turn on Hue Off..." but they all seemed counter-intuitive and just nonsensical.

There has to be a solution!

If you're using a program, then On runs Then and Off runs Else, so you could turn "Daylight" on (Then statement) and/or off (Else statement). I was elated to learn about Alexa Routines and then  I installed v3 of hte ISY skill which does not support off at all for scenes and programs. I was temporarily disheartened.

The solution was to create a program for each scene and/or program that I wanted to turn off and place the appropriate statement(s) in the Then section. The original scene and/or program remains intact, it just can't be turned off. I use the routine to run the corresponding new program to turn a scene off or turn the corresponding new program that has the original programs Else statements in the Then section.

If and when v.3 gets fixed (it's in the hands of Amazon, not UDI), then I'll just delete the new programs and modify the affected Routine. Or even leave things as they are--probably not B)

stusviews, could you please give an example of this?  This sounds like the solution!

So my example is I have Hue lights that I have created through ISY Portal that are Network Resources that are now embedded in Programs.  So now I have these Programs:

Master Bedroom Hue Bright in Bedroom (Alexa: "Alexa turn on Bright in Master Bedroom")

Master Bedroom Hue Off (Alexa: "Alexa turn on Hue Off in Master Bedroom")

If I say, "Alexa turn on Bright in Master Bedroom," the Hue does that exactly no problem.  If I say, "Alexa turn off Bright in Master Bedroom," Alexa says "OK," but nothing happens.  Then when I say, "Alexa turn on Hue Off in Master Bedroom" it acts as expected.

Can you give an example of how you can use the Else Statement in the program to fix this as you suggested?

Thank you in advance!!!

stusviews, could you please give an example of this?  This sounds like the solution!

So my example is I have Hue lights that I have created through ISY Portal that are Network Resources that are now embedded in Programs.  So now I have these Programs:

Master Bedroom Hue Bright in Bedroom (Alexa: "Alexa turn on Bright in Master Bedroom")

Master Bedroom Hue Off (Alexa: "Alexa turn on Hue Off in Master Bedroom")

If I say, "Alexa turn on Bright in Master Bedroom," the Hue does that exactly no problem.  If I say, "Alexa turn off Bright in Master Bedroom," Alexa says "OK," but nothing happens.  Then when I say, "Alexa turn on Hue Off in Master Bedroom" it acts as expected.

Can you give an example of how you can use the Else Statement in the program to fix this as you suggested?

Thank you in advance!!!

Use the ISY Else sections of the programs so you would get.

• Alexa. Turn Off All Lights
  • Alexa...turn Off Bedroom light

I use many programs triple duty.

• The If section operates like a smart HA box choosing one of the Then/Else sections
  • The Then section can be vocally tied to   Alexa...turn ON..XXXX
  • The Else section can be vocally tied to   Alexa...Turn OFF..XXXX

Are you using ISY v3 skill? Is so, then you cannot turn off a scene. So, for each scene that you want to turn off, create a program where the Then statement turns the scene off. The On routine turns the scene on--no change there. The Off routine turns the program On (which turns the scene off).

Too, v3 does not allow turning a program off. So I added a new program where the Else statements are not Then statements, for example to control the verticals, I now have two programs as follows:

Kitchen Close     This is the original program. It, too, is unchanged. "Then" runs when you turn the program On, Else never runs. Alexa, close the shade.
If

Then
        Resource 'KT Kitchen Close'

Else
        Resource 'KT Kitchen Open'

KT Kitchen Open     This is the added program. On runs "Then." Alexa. open the shade.
If

Then
        Resource 'KT Kitchen Open'

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Thank you both so much!!

Double use of a Program with the OFF Network Resource in the Then and Else worked perfectly!  Now I can have any color/scene combination with the Hue that I can turn on or switch between, and then can just say, "Alexa, turn off Hue in Master Bedroom."

THANK YOU!!

Archived