Samsung is bringing an Echo-compatible vacuum to CES

kohai

I don't know what Samsung intends to do with Alexa but the first idea would be to tell the robot to go clean a specific room, area, zone? Correct me if I am wrong none of these vacuum robots actually know or can be told to just clean one room, correct?

I would see value in being able to tell the robot to clean only from this time to this time and for this area only. I don't believe any of these robots can accomplish this goal.

Yes / No?

The Roomba you can confine to a certain area using their "virtual wall" devices. The Neato uses magnetic tape placed on the floor to limit its path. Neither, AFAIK, can be told to clean a specific room without having to physically pick it up and place it in the area to be cleaned. That would be a nice feature, though.

My Neato can do 90% of my first floor, finds its way back to recharge, and complete the rest of the level. I still get a kick out of how well it navigates the house and can find its way back to the docking station.

I would have no problem checking the safety on a top loading machine. But, can't say I have ever been tempted to try the very same on a front loading washer as water is slushing around the main door. From a purely mechanical stand point a drum which rotates horizontally poses less risk vs one that is vertical in my mind.

Then again I find it extremely odd any of these Samsung top loading washers don't have some kind of out of balance detector?!?

If they do the manufacture defect must include that sensor because I can't see how so many incidents happen if the sensor was fully operational. Lastly, I would never count on the door ajar / open sensor to protect someone from losing an arm. One only needs to Google how many people literally had their arm ripped off because that specific sensor didn't operate.

I don't know how many actual washers have a speed break when the top door is opened - opposed to it just *Trying* to slow down upon detecting a door ajar condition.

It still takes about 5-6 seconds to stop when the lid is openned full speed spin. You can hear the brake drag sound but how it is done, I don't know. You would think an electronic magnetic brake would be used instead of a mechanical.

I would be surprised if spin washing machines would be legal to be sold to the public. When you first open the lid and see 50 pounds of wet towels spinning at that speed, it's pretty scary! Getting a towel wrapped up in it while an arm tangled in the other end would not end well.

The Roomba you can confine to a certain area using their "virtual wall" devices. The Neato uses magnetic tape placed on the floor to limit its path. Neither, AFAIK, can be told to clean a specific room without having to physically pick it up and place it in the area to be cleaned. That would be a nice feature, though.

My Neato can do 90% of my first floor, finds its way back to recharge, and complete the rest of the level. I still get a kick out of how well it navigates the house and can find its way back to the docking station.

Rob,

Generally, how long does the little robot operate for doing the first floor? Like an hour, two, three? How long does it take to recharge and then return to complete its task?

It still takes about 5-6 seconds to stop when the lid is openned full speed spin. You can hear the brake drag sound but how it is done, I don't know. You would think an electronic magnetic brake would be used instead of a mechanical.

I would be surprised if spin washing machines would be legal to be sold to the public. When you first open the lid and see 50 pounds of wet towels spinning at that speed, it's pretty scary! Getting a towel wrapped up in it while an arm tangled in the other end would not end well.

All I know is back in the day on 20/20 they had a expose about what could happen to someone who stuck their arm in while the tub was going Mach 2.

The story I referenced about the child losing the arm is what I recall . . .

One can only imagine seeing a little childs arm dangling from the skin. 

All I can say is when growing up there wasn't many things my parents or I would do which resulted in a punch in the head. You never crawled under a vehicle on the lifts / jack stands, you never fooled around with the washer / dryer, you never stuck anything in the outlets, and you sure as sh^t didn't ever start a fire burning what ever you thought was cool in the fire place.

The only thing I did different with my daughter was to ensure the piston nailers, 22 cal concrete, and chargers were always locked up and fully unloaded and kept separately from one another. I never wanted to come home to find out my daughter shot someone in the head with the concrete hole gun, etc.

I believe one big difference in the roomba versus the samsung robot vacuum is that the samsung actually sucks in addition to the brush/beater bar and the roomba relies on only the brush/beater bar to lift the material. 

Really?

So *Vacuum* cleaner isn't the correct phrase vs beat and sweep. 

Really?

So *Vacuum* cleaner isn't the correct phrase vs beat and sweep.

My Rhoomba has vents on the sides for exhaling the air passed through.

IIRC it does have a suction element but it may be on the same shaft. Definitely on the same motor.

I didn't open it up as it has too much dirt on top of it. :)

My Roomba sucks. that is, it vacuums as it beats the carpet. So does the Scooba or it couldn't suck up the water after it mops.

BTW, the Scooba does a great mopping job. Filling it is easy, cleaning it after mopping is not.

Yes. It takes much, much, much, much more time than using a conventional vacuum, but it's much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much easier. In case you lost count, it takes four times as long, but it's a dozen times easier B)

Yes. It takes much, much, much, much more time than using a conventional vacuum, but it's much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much easier. In case you lost count, it takes four times as long, but it's a dozen times easier B)

The reason I keep looking at them is that vacuuming likely just doesn't happen and I have two kids that generate crumbs at a rapid rate.  I think I just have too much sq footage and don't want to put up barrier devices to keep them in the kitchen/tv room.

I read somewhere when the samsung came out that it had a different sucking system than the roomba.  I guess I'm not sure what they meant by that if the roombas do suck.

Any product that doesn't incorporate suction, beat, sweep, would probably be very poor in what many consider a basic job of a vacuum cleaner. What shocks me more then anything in this space is why no one hasn't come out with a sub $150.XX unit. Every unit I have seen exceeds $220.XX Canadian before tax. 

Rob,

Generally, how long does the little robot operate for doing the first floor? Like an hour, two, three? How long does it take to recharge and then return to complete its task?

My first floor is ~1200 s/f. It'll run for 50-60 minutes getting 90% of the floor, return to its base to recharge, and pick up where it left off. It's really quite impressive. Recharge takes a couple of hours. I paid $250 for it a couple of years ago on clearance. The new models are around $400+. I've probably gone through 3 sets of NiMH batteries at $40 a pop. When they start to go, you'll see drastically less runtime and much longer recharges. Newer models use LiON and have longer runtimes, as well as a little brush on the side to get closer to the wall. I'm confident the newer model could get my entire floor in one pass. When prices drop, I'll pick up another one and move my old one upstairs.

This exactly. I have a cleaning service every couple of months and my Neato handles the vacuuming between visits. I'll occasionally bust out a mop if the dog has muddy paws that I missed when letting him in, but my regular vacuum doesn't get much use anymore.

My first floor is ~1200 s/f. It'll run for 50-60 minutes getting 90% of the floor, return to its base to recharge, and pick up where it left off. It's really quite impressive. Recharge takes a couple of hours. I paid $250 for it a couple of years ago on clearance. The new models are around $400+. I've probably gone through 3 sets of NiMH batteries at $40 a pop. When they start to go, you'll see drastically less runtime and much longer recharges. Newer models use LiON and have longer runtimes, as well as a little brush on the side to get closer to the wall. I'm confident the newer model could get my entire floor in one pass. When prices drop, I'll pick up another one and move my old one upstairs.

$400.xx ?!? - Just Wow . . .

$400.xx ?!? - Just Wow . . .

Compare that with paying someone to vacuum for you. I'd rather be free of the time it takes to vacuum or mop. I have more fun things to do B)

I suppose just being a lowly average guy the sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, is up to me. I know of 400 ways to spend that kind of money and it clearly wouldn't be for a maid, house cleaner, auto bot. I know lots of this comes down to time vs money for some but vacuuming actually relax's me plus I enjoy seeing the cross cut hatch on the carpet when I am done.

Too bad it lasts only as long as the family are gone from the home . . .

Archived