Serial Module

HABit

It would be great if you offered a serial interface module option that would turn the monitor port into a serial I/O port. The module could be mechanized pretty simply such as allowing a program to send an integer onto the serial port/module, and triggering a program on the reception of an integer value:

IF

Serial Port Receive Value is 33

THEN

or

IF

THEN

Write Serial 64

If needed, a new menu/toolbar option could be added to enable/disable the serial port module to use the port for the monitor/shell functionality (something I have never had to use).

The reason this type of optional module is so desirable is the cost of I/O in automation systems. An alarm system using wired PIR/Ultra/Radar detectors ($10 ea) can consume 10 or more inputs (even more if the tamper switch is in use) versus ~= $50 per insteon motion detector. Or an HVAC system (Gas Valve, Blower Oper, Heat, Cool, Humidity calls, etc) can chew up 6 - 8 per HVAC zone. Outputs/relays, etc. are the same. Right now I have a low voltage lighting control interface with 5 IOLincs stacked in it. I have used the EZIOx devices and found them to be pretty unreliable with relatively short life spans, not to mention that if you want a comprehensive I/O device (ie EZIO8) then throw a PLM into the mix making the cost of implementation even more expensive. Of the two in my speaker control system, at 3 years life one is already failing to respond to commands.

I know that there are network solutions that can be implemented, but again the cost per I/O node is expensive (ie the Elk ip232 is $150 or more). The relative simplicity of attaching devices to a serial link makes this type of option very appealing to end users. It would allow Arduino or rPi boards to be attached as extensions to the ISY I/O. I cannot help but believe that this type of interface would spawn a host of 3rd party add-ons for the ISY increasing its versatility even more than the excellent control system it already is.

Just a wish!

Teken, can you give me an idea of where I might find those links? Thanks.

Michel,

thanks for your feedback. I guess I missed that option. The serial module/option seems like a no-brainer with the current popularity of microcontroller based CPU boards. But I'm sure you folks have a better idea regarding product appeal than I have from my perspective.

We have been looking at potential solutions for a controller in a product solution (in planning). The ISY is one I wanted to consider, but right now the I/O is cost prohibitive, and from our perspective IoT solutions don't have the level of security we want for the product (reason for wanting a hard wired serial I/O). I really like my ISY and have watched how you have conducted your company, and the development of its products for years, with great admiration. I think it will only continue to be more appealing as an automation component, and continue to grow in popularity.

If there are cost effective I/O solutions out there that afford an acceptable level of security, then I would happy to hear about and evaluate them.

Thanks for a great product.

Christopher

Archived