keypad as countdown timer for bathroom fan

domotinc-customs

guy,

years ago smarthome had a "countdown timer 8 button keypad" that was programmed as a countdown timer and sold with the buttons pre-printed (on, off, 2 min, 5, min, 15min, 30 min, 1h, 2h) it was great for bathroom fan and no programing was needed

unfortunately they don't sell them anymore.

anyone used ISY to code it?

I would do the button A as the ON/OFF and button B to H as the timer (2 min, 5, min, 15min, 30 min, 1h, 2h)

I searched on the forum and I cant find anything....

anyone did it and would share the code?

You can create individual scenes and program for each key that detect each key being turned on, 

Here's how to do it

• Create one ISY Scene for each key, include the fan and the Key as a controller.
    • That way, the key will turn the fan on instantly
    • And, pressing the lit key a second time will turn the fan back off, if turned on by mistake

• Create 1 program for each key, here is the pattern

If
"keypad key B" is switched on           --- Pick the key
then
     Wait 2 minutes --- Change the wait in each program to match the key
     set scene "keypad key b scene" off       --- Turns the fan and the key back off

• I would have a timer program for the A on/off key too, like several hours... you probably do not mean for it to run continuosly 
  • You can put the programs all in a folder to keep it organized

Paul

You certainly can set-up a KPL to trigger different programs from each button to provide different lengths time.

I prefer a more "automatic" approach that I have used in the past. (I moved and no longer have bathroom fans - one has a window, the other has an always-on vent with central fan several floors up.)

My previous system was much praised by my interior designer. She commented that she loved the idea that the fan just turned on with the lights, as it avoids the embarrassment that using the fan implies a certain usage mode of the room...

So, my setup was:

- fan on when any light in bathroom goes on

- fan off when all bathroom lights are off, after a timeout

- there were "shower hours", during which the fan use was extended

- the bathroom fans were also part of a "whole house random ventilation schedule" (e.g. fans and HVAC blower)

- as the fan was on a SL relay, you could still manually turn the fan off

- I later added a moisture sensor on an IoLinc, (just screw setpoint on sensor) so if there was excess moisture, the fan would continue to run in any case (placement is tricky, my initial placement underneath a "floating" vanity was unsuccessful.)

- the hope was people would just go for the big top button on the KPL, which set a scene with vanity, shower, and track lights at "dramatic" levels. Other buttons were for shower, shave (or you could call it "makeup"), cleaning levels.

You might want to do other variations on this, for example set fan timer based on length of occupancy.

Really, the fan should come on with any occupancy of the room. The primary purpose is to remove excess moisture from this small room, and one would expect at least the sink faucet to be used upon any occupancy.

If you search the forum, you will find descriptions (and programs) for MANY elaborate bathroom timer schemes. It seems to be a favorite of tinkerers!

Archived