Failed Writing Messages when updating devices ISY/Insteon

MikeN

First let me start with a bit of background.

I decided to update my entire home with automation devices. After quite a bit of research I chose Insteon and just recently moved to the ISY 9941 Pro controller with the Dual band PLM #2413S. All the devices in my house are also dual band.

Dimmers - 2477D

FanLinc - 2475F

6-Button Keypad - 2334-232

and a couple of plugin controllers

My house is relatively small (approximately 1400 Sq ft and there is at least 3 devices in every room. It is wired for dual phase 200 amp service. We have the other standard electrical equipment that would cause interference, fridge, tv, wireless router, computers etc. 

Its worth noting that I had I initially had the devices programmed using the Insteon hub and the iPhone app which was very cumbersome but did work in the end. After installing the ISY I factory reset all the devices to clear the link tables and added each of the devices and recreated the scenes manually. 

The problem I am having is I’m am continually receiving "Failed Writing" messages in the log and the devices are not receiving their programming after multiple retries. This sometimes happens after the Max hops have been exceeded and sometimes not.

There also doesn't appear to be any real commonality across the devices that are failing as they are on multiple circuits and in some cases where I have multiple switches in the same wall box, one will take the configuration and the one next to it will not. As it stands I am trying to create an "All Lights" scene with 21 devices and only about half have accepted their configuration.

I have a total of 30 devices and 16 scenes but I have not configured any programs or advanced features, I would simply like to make sure that the communication is stable first. 

I have been through the forums and have tried everything I could find, but I may be missing something. I have also attached the log with some of todays attempts. 

Below are some of the steps I have tried

Confirmed that there is at least one Insteon device on each phase of my electrical service

I have plugged the PLM into an extension cord with the other end at various outlets throughout the house and re attempting the updates.

This will clear up one or two of the devices but not all.

I’m not opposed to getting a couple of extenders but considering the how the devices are located in my house, I don't think it should be necessary. Any suggestions are appreciated!

ISY-Events-Log.v4.5.4__Wed 2017.01.11 04.03.35 PM.txt

1. Confirm proper coupling / bridging via the 4 tap beacon test out lined in the full users manual of any Insteon product.

2. Are you using any filters on the most common electronics: UPS, Computers, Chargers, A/V Equipment, etc

3. Do you have or use CFL, LED, Florescent light fixtures? If so have you removed them and tried to write again?

Most of what you noted up above sounds just like noise makers / signal suckers on the line . . .

In addition to Teken's excellent recommendations, how did you determine that you have at least one dual-band device on each leg of the split, single-phase electric supply?

How did you determine that devices have exceeded their allowance of hops?

When that happens they are not received at the destination, and ISY would not have any recordings.

Something has changed or you would not have set-up all these devices. With such a general problem it definitely sounds ike a noise problem. Neighbour have solar panels?

Archived