Kidde Smoke Detector - ISY Link

__Mike__

A test of the Kidde alarms don't; those tests just activate as normal alarms, meaning that the smoke bridge "Status" value switches to "On".  ISY programs that are looking at the smoke bridge "Status" value will run as intended during a test of the Kidde alarms.  I don't recall if the the First Alert sensor sends an actual test value or not -- it's been a while since I installed this.  If I have a chance, I'll see if I can test for this, but don't hold your breath for it (family in the house for a while...)

3 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

A test of the Kidde alarms don't; those tests just activate as normal alarms, meaning that the smoke bridge "Status" value switches to "On".  ISY programs that are looking at the smoke bridge "Status" value will run as intended during a test of the Kidde alarms.  I don't recall if the the First Alert sensor sends an actual test value or not -- it's been a while since I installed this.  If I have a chance, I'll see if I can test for this, but don't hold your breath for it (family in the house for a while...)

No worries. I think I have enough information. Based on your feedback it seems to me that the First Alert detector is just triggered a simple alert when it senses a signal on the Kidde hardwired travel wire and I would need to upgrade all my smoke detectors to First Alert ones in order to take advantage of the different notifications that the Insteon Smoke Bridge supports. I may go for the RemoteLync approach in the meantime, since you can buy these monitors for $30 on eBay and will move towards the smoke bridge, if no better solution by then, once my detectors are up for replacement in 3 years. Thanks again for your help.

On 12/19/2018 at 6:13 PM, io_guy said:

I hard wire my Kiddes to my ISY using the SM120X and CO120X.  They connect to the interconnect hard wires and provide relays which can be tied into something like an IOLinc.  

I actually looked into that option but I live in an apartment so the smoke alarm hard wire system is not exposed and therefore it makes it hard to implement cleanly. Another option is to use one open/close sensor for each module and use the external circuit so you wouldn't have to rely on an AC power source. In the end, I think, for my case, the listening detector is a good comprise for the short term until I have to replace all detectors.

Update
Another option in the listening detector category, I just found out Wyze cameras can also detect smoke/carbon monoxide alarms and are well integrated with IFTTT.

Archived