led puck light

apostolakisl

I picked up these for dirt cheap at costco

https://www.costco.com/6-LED-Puck-Lights-by-Capstone.product.100316845.html?catalogId=10701&langId=-1&storeId=10301&krypto=PTq2B3E4h%2BXJbKWbTA0m8b%2B1y7kJl3glolPujY%2FP4WnB9ohMD%2B5NqxVPOZWGpub4SP%2BdMST3VuGc%0AKSTMXlfP8uhCLsBLhl%2FB0KI2pQ7J%2BKE%3D

Anyway, they get bad reviews because apparently people think that you can use them for regular lighting needs where you leave them on for hours on end.  Duhhhhh people, they are powered with aa batteries!! 

Anyway, I used them in my movie room to light up the equipment rack.  The beauty here is that they are IR controlled so I programmed them into my Harmony remote to automatically turn on/off at the appropriate times like when I hit "pause" for example, or "stop" they turn on, when I hit "play" they go off.  Pretty nifty.  For the few minutes they will be on here and there, I expect the batteries to die of old age before I drain them.  And of course being battery powered meant not a lick of wiring required.  Just stick em up. 

Unfortunately, the newer Harmony remotes, to the best of my knowledge, do not have the "sequence" feature as I believe they call it.  The one I use in my movie room is a little older and has that function where you can hit a single button and have it execute a series of IR commands.  The newer ones only do a series of commands as part of starting or ending an activity.  Anyway, for the newer ones, you would need to have a dedicated button for turning the light on/off and do it manually when needed.

Really nice find and very impressed these puck lights also offer the ability to preset and dim at any level. If the product lasts over the long run you simply can't beat the value to price ratio. The fact you were able to integrate with the home automation just pushes it to the level of awesome.

Sadly, this and many other products aren't listed on the Canadian side . . .

Please do follow up with the group after an extended use and burn in to see if you still like them or notice any odd behavior.

Archived