Homemade Thermostat Sorta...

themlruts

I just finished my basement.  It has its own zone for heat.  I was looking at getting a zwave or insteon thermostat but they are pricey. 

My idea is to use the aeotec multisensor to monitor temp in the room. I would love to use the multisensor for occupancy as well. but that will come later.  

I will be controlling the zone using one of these $11 wifi relays. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYYC4MW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have setup custom firmware on the wifi relay so I can use the ISY network resource and use a GET to turn on or off the relay.

Now I am stuck on the the logic.  

I think I should make state variables for the Low and high temps.

I would need a way to override (if the wife gets cold)

Occupancy

I see a lot of users using a multitude of things to detect occupancy.  They seem to be using more than input to do this.  Can you just do this with a motion sensor?

My only other thought about this is the update frequency of the multisensor. On battery its 10mins.  

Look for threads here about the CAO Tags. People love their features and accuracy and multiple options to support isy and also work in dependant if anything else.

For a self controlled heat zone without any safeties I would really avoid the Insteon thermostat. I have two now and wouldn't trust them for much.

Read more threads about them about 2015 year.

Sent from a tiny keyboard. Response may be brief.

Archived