Event Viewer does not "see" manual switch presses

intellihome

I was hoping for some ideas on why I do not see any activity in Event Viewer level 3 when I press buttons on SwitchLincs, ToggleLincs and Keypadlincs.

I have an ISY994i Pro with version 4.5.4. 

2413S PLM  version 2.2

I do see activity from motion sensors and door switches. I also see activity in level 3 if I turn one of the switches on from the admin console (INST-TX, INST-ACK and INST-SRX). If I query these devices I also see the communication. Just nothing with manual operation.

I have no communication issues. All my scenes and programs run without issue. All the devices (approximately 50 devices) were added with ISY. All links were done through ISY. The only reason I noticed the issue is because I wanted to start working with variables. So I defined a State variable and wrote the counter programs (from the video tutorial) and noticed the count never increased with the switch presses. That's when I opened up the Event Viewer level 3 and noticed no activity.

I made copies of my programs to use a wireless door sensor instead of the ToggleLinc (because as I mentioned, I do see the activity with door switches). Then the variable counter worked fine.

I did a restore on a handful of devices with no success. I also did a restore on the PLM with no success, however I'm not sure if the PLM restore actually worked. I tried it twice but saw nothing in the event viewer and no dialog boxes saying anything was happening.

Not sure if this is worth mentioning but...

I replaced my PLM about 6 months ago and had a little trouble getting it installed (none of my devices were communicating) I think I may have screwed up the procedure while troubleshooting my original and installing the new one. To my surprise the next day, all my devices were communicating and everything has worked flawlessly since. 

I suspect during your first go at this something happen. This is why I skipped the whole device restore process as it takes a long time and you simply don't know if its going to work. As labor-some as it is to delete, add, and then recreate the scenes its nothing compared to sitting and waiting for something to happen.

When you come back its in the same previous state . . .

My humble suggestion is take this week end find a comfortable chair, tall cup of coffee, and just delete, add, and recreate all the scenes. Once done please ensure you complete a new back up and store one to the cloud and one to a local USB storage device. 

I suspect during your first go at this something happen. This is why I skipped the whole device restore process as it takes a long time and you simply don't know if its going to work. As labor-some as it is to delete, add, and then recreate the scenes its nothing compared to sitting and waiting for something to happen.

When you come back its in the same previous state . . .

My humble suggestion is take this week end find a comfortable chair, tall cup of coffee, and just delete, add, and recreate all the scenes. Once done please ensure you complete a new back up and store one to the cloud and one to a local USB storage device. 

OK, if that's what it takes.

Thank you.

I did do a restore on the single device with no luck so I guess that should have ruled out the restore all. But hey, I will try whatever help from the great people on this forum offer.

Always thankful for those who take the time to help.

I'll report back on the results of rebuilding my database.

Try doing a 'Restore' on the PLM node. The PLM could have lost the links, meaning it will guide the messages.

Thanks, I tried to restore the PLM without good results. But as I mentioned earlier, the restore PLM did not seem to "take".

I just did a restore PLM and I now have a dialog box indicating something is happening. We might have something here..I'll report back.

Restore PLM completed. no change. Only the device I deleted and added back shows communication in the Event Viewer level 3.

I do have a brand new backup PLM. Is it worth trying a PLM replacement? That would be easier then deleting and adding every device and rebuilding all scenes and (programs?).

When you have network wide issues like this (when it was functioning fine before), it's more often than not the PLM. They can fail in odd ways.

If you do replace it, make sure you carefully follow the wiki. DONT 'Delete' the old one!! If you have battery devices, you'll have to wake each in turn after the PLM is changed.

I do have a brand new backup PLM. Is it worth trying a PLM replacement? That would be easier then deleting and adding every device and rebuilding all scenes and (programs?).

If the 2413S PLM is nearing the two year production mark it may very well be needing a replacement. When you have time please indicate all the data the white sticker says for the production date etc. In the Admin Console under the Help->About please let us know what the system notes as the firmware in use for the 2413S PLM.

You can run a PLM compare also while the house is completely silent with no movement. Run the test 4-5 times and let us know how many links the system indicates. If you say you have for example 25 devices and the system comes back noting 12 links or something really stupid.

Its safe to say the 2413S PLM is having issues and needs to be replaced. Please follow the UDI WiKi listed here for the steps to follow to ensure a positive outcome: http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:File_Menu#Replace_Modem_.28PLM.29

- If the device is under the 2 year warranty period ensure you submit a RMA for replacement and ask for a cross dock. Doing so will charge your CC first but a replacement will come immediately while you send back the old one. 

- If the 2413S PLM is well past the 2 year warranty mark and you have a soldering iron and some time you can take on this cheap fix: http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/13866-repair-of-2413s-plm-when-the-power-supply-fails/page-1

- Other resources: http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=INSTEON_No_Status_Feedback_From_Devices

- Link Calculator: http://www.universal-devices.com/tools/insteon/calc_plm_links.htm

Thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it.

The PLM is about 7 months old. Somehow I think I messed up on the installation of this new PLM 7 months ago. When I replaced it and then booted the ISY, my browser was hung up so I never saw the ISY boot, so I started unplugging things and can't recall what sequence I ended up with. So I'm suspecting the PLM is OK and I just need to get the links back in sync with the ISY

post-250-0-95603400-1485142628_thumb.jpg

post-250-0-63316900-1485143291_thumb.jpg

post-250-0-68943900-1485143216_thumb.jpg

Hi intellihome,

Hopefully you have a good backup from before the PLM replacement. If you do, then you can definitely recover by Restoring Devices:

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:File_Menu#Restore_Devices

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Thanks very much.

Yes, I do have a a good backup although it was before my upgrade to 4.5.4. (I have backups with 4.5.4 but that was after the PLM change so I probably would not want to use them).

After I install a new PLM and perform a restore, could I then make a backup, reinstall the questionable PLM and try a restore on it. The reason I ask this is I think I may have screwed up the original replacement and if so, there may be nothing wrong with this PLM. If I still see problems, then go back to the "New" PLM following the instructions on the Wiki and do a another restore on that?

• 2 months later...

Follow up to my issue. I was unsuccessful with replacing my PLM and restoring my ISY with a backup and restoring devices. I had the same problem with the new PLM. It did not "see" any device status changes. Perhaps my "known good" backup was not so good.

I deleted each device one at a time over the course of a week and reinstalled the devices and rebuilt all my scenes. I also updated each device in programs. I made back ups as I progressed so I would not have to start over if something happened. Finally my system was back and running strong for about a month.

Archived