Anyone familiar with SmartThings Hub programming?

carealtor

I want to make a REST call (is that the right term?) to my ISY when a virtual switch is "turned on".  (http://userid:password@192.168.xx.xx/rest/nodes/scene_id/cmd/DON)

I made an attempt to get help on the SmartThings forum, but while the responses have intended to be helpful, most of what they said assumed I knew WAY more than I do about programming a SmartThings Hub.  If I knew as much as they assumed I do, I wouldn't need help with this (probably) very simple project.  My plea for step by step help has gone unanswered.

So far I have Virtual Switch (SmartThings calls it a "Simulated" Switch). set up and working.  I just need to know how to make a REST call now.

This is precisely the reason why I hate SmartThings. It makes it really easy to stick together pre-fab pieces, but the amount of work required to get it to talk to something new is ridiculous.

Also be aware that this is only going to work if your ISY is exposed to the internet. The SmartThings hub only acts as a bridge between your devices and the internet. The REST call itself is going to be issued from the SmartThings cloud (not your ST hub), so if your ISY isn't reachable from the internet, SmartThings can't talk to it.

Yes, it seams doing any kind of integration is EXTREAMLY difficult. 

The reading I've done on the ST forum suggests that a REST call on the LAN is possible using "HubAction".  It sounds like the call would actually originate from the ST hub.  I'm not arguing what you said...  I don't have the skills or knowledge about ST to suggest anything one way or another.  Just expressing my current understand, which isn't much.

Archived