Program control/triggered on thermostat events?

gduprey

Howdy,

I'm looking to augment some of my thermostat functions via the ISY.  When trying to create ISY programs based on current thermostat action (like the fan being on or not), I do not see control events, just status events.  From what I recall, status events will not cause a program to trigger when they change, but control events do.

Short of a nasty busy loop, how would you trigger a program when a HVAC fan request occurs?  This seems like a simple thing and I'm hoping I'm just missing something incredibly obvious.

FYI -- thermostats are ZWave Honeywell units, though I don't think that is a huge deal -- thermostats being thermostats and the sort of things I'm looking to react to being pretty basic things.

Thanks,

Gerry

From what I recall, status events will not cause a program to trigger when they change, but control events do.

Not true (at least not true for insteon or zwave devices I use).  Status events WILL trigger a program....any CHANGE in status will trigger evaluation of a program "if statement".

Short of a nasty busy loop, how would you trigger a program when a HVAC fan request occurs?

I don't use insteon thermostats, so I am extrapolating here.  But if you want a program to trigger when fan changes from OFF to ON,

If

status fan is on

then

do something

There may be problems with such a program if you have wait statements, but otherwise I would expect this to work.

I have Honeywell Z-Wave thermostats. In 4.X you can say "if calling for Heat/Cool/Idle". In 5.x I think you do "if Heat/Cool State". I haven't done anything with Fan but I'm sure there's a "if fan mode".

You don't use "if control" or "if status". The darn things are so reliable I haven't needed to change or the view the programs in such a long time, this is from memory.

Well, status checks work just fine.  Not sure why I had it in my head they didn't, though there is some funkiness in what actually causes the "Calling for...." stuff on a thermostat (Calling for Fan doesn't seem to be the same as Fan On -- I get a subtlety there, but I can't reconcile those status's to what I'm seeing from the thermostats).  Oh well, happy enough it all works.  Thanks for getting me to believe again! :wink:

Archived