Best way to attach an Insteon mini remote to a wall?

nwchicago

I have purchased the Scott "reusable" picture hanging squares and placed two squares on the back of the mini-remote.

This seems to work, but I do not know how easy it is to remove the mini-remote.

Recently at Costco I found a pack of 30 8 lb removable picture hanging straps. There are two separate parts connected by adhesive to each surface (wall and picture). They are connected by strong Velcro.

Seems like it might be a more effective way to hang the mini remote since it can come off.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Chicago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the bracket. Use the screws and the small plastic anchors they come with. You can repair the wall when you need to with a dab of drywall compound on the tip of your finger. They are tiny screws.

If you install one next to an existing box (e.g. extend a single to a double with a remote) ignore Insteon's advice. Use the wood screws. (They imply you should not use the wood screws, only relying on the machine screws that will attach a screwless plate to the bracket.)

If your wall is concrete, find a friend with a rotary hammer or a hammer drill!

Installed with the bracket, and using screwless plates, you cannot tell the difference. You can detect the difference when you press the switch, it feels a bit "hollow" but still has a feeling of permanence.

I have two installed - one outside of a closet that had a pull-chain light. And one at my entrance, where I replaced the switch with an outlet for a display case that will hide the outlet (it's for the lights in the display case) and so a mini remote is installed next to the outlet to control the entrance lights.

For removal (i.e. to charge the battery, or to program) if you use the screwless plates, you just remove the plate, which will expose the bracket. The switch just snaps into the bracket.

Archived