Keypadlinc 6 and 8 Button only showing 4 nodes

PhanTomiZ

Hi,

I've had these KPLs for a while now and haven't had the time to install them.  Decided to install two on the weekend.  A 6 and 8 button KPL.  The first KPL 6 Button linked up fine showing 5 nodes:

A

B

C

D

When I linked the next KPL (I tried both a 6 button and an 8 button), I could only get 4 nodes with either.

B

C

D

I have a regular ISY994iZW.  Not a pro.  Have I somehow run up to my limit of Nodes/capabilities for my ISY?

PhanTomiZ

Just checked my inventory.  It looks like I have 90 devices in total with 62 devices installed including Z-Wave.  It feels like I just began adding devices.  I slowly install new devices as I go.  I've had these KPLs for over a year now....

Looked throughout the forum for Links, Nodes, Devices maximums, but couldn't really find anything.  I did find information on Smarthome.com about maximums for my ISY994iZw and it looks like 256 Nodes and 300 programs.  What's the easiest/fastest way to check my maximums???

Thanks

PhanTomiZ

P.S.  Is that a lot of devices???  I wasn't planning on getting this many, but I think I've gotten the bug... Get this, I have a small home too!!!!

The WiKi has a on line calculator which gives you a rough idea of the links you have. Keeping in mind some devices like the KPL use up multiple links. So 90 devices is getting pretty close to the 256 ~ 300 link limit its probably best to update the controller to the pro so you don't get blocked.

What's your idea of small?

LOL . . .

I've seen a few people state their so called 3~4 SQF home was small . . .

The WiKi has a on line calculator which gives you a rough idea of the links you have. Keeping in mind some devices like the KPL use up multiple links. So 90 devices is getting pretty close to the 256 ~ 300 link limit its probably best to update the controller to the pro so you don't get blocked.

What's your idea of small?

LOL . . .

I've seen a few people state their so called 3~4 SQF home was small . . .

I saw the Wiki calculator and gave it a whirl.  It says I'm over...  The latest KPL 6 button I just installed in my bedroom has 34 links as reported by the "Device Links Table".  That controls 3 lights and one portable fan in scenes.

My idea of small is 1500 SQF or less.  Mine is 1350.  I'm glad it is, as the upkeep is easier to manage.

PhanTomiZ

Upgrading the ISY is in the near future.  

Back Split.  5 up 5 down.  Neighbours have a two story and had to move because of the stair situation...

Back Split, I'm trying really hard to recall what that looks like right now? So if I come into your front entrance I will be on the landing? At this point I would either go up / down five steps to the main areas?

Back to my KPL story.  When I get time to install another, I will see if I run into the same problem (Nodes not showing up).  In the mean time, I will contemplate getting the Pro upgrade as I don't have the time in the next month or so to make sure of a smooth upgrade.   WAF is very important these days with the many changes I've implemented lately. :wink:   Surprisingly, she likes having the ability to control all the lights in our bedroom...

One other question about the KPLs.  They are older and I picked them up used.  Seems that they program fine, but I can't seem to get the LED brightness to function.  I would like it totally darn for night time and much brighter during the day.  I've tried manually adjusting for brightness and also through the admin console.  Neither work for me.  When using the admin console I get "Request Failed" and the "Event Viewer"  shows "[All] Writing 0 bytes to devices".  Tried deleting, factory resets and even different model variations in the list.

Back label says KeypadLinc V2 Dimmer #2486DW.  Under the address it show V1.0 1930 and on the bottom 0546 Rev 1.0.  Are these so old that this function didn't exist?

PhanTomiZ

Did this(v2) KPL come with clear button covers? As hardware revision 1 had a few issues.

What is the firmware level per the ISY?

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

ISY firmware v.4.5.4

UI v.4.5.4

By button covers you mean "ON" "Off" "A B C D"?  No, they are all white.  Or do you mean beneath the white ones? Yes, beneath the white covers they are clear.  These are the covers that are swapped out if a color change is preferred.

What be the issues with hardware Rev 1.0?

Clear as opposed to white buttons are from very early devices. They predate i2 which includes extended messaging. The main disadvantage of i1, other than being single-band, is writing to the devices (e.g., creating and/or modifying scenes) takes much, much longer. Really much longer.

Not your concern, you don't have clear buttons.

BTW, the clear buttons were a great way to print your own button labels and place then behind the button B)

I purchased some clear buttons for a previous KPL.  At the time, I thought them to be a great idea.  Ended up only using 6 of them and opted for the pre-etched types.

Any idea why this may be a problem:

"One other question about the KPLs.  They are older and I picked them up used.  Seems that they program fine, but I can't seem to get the LED brightness to function.  I would like it totally darn for night time and much brighter during the day.  I've tried manually adjusting for brightness and also through the admin console.  Neither work for me.  When using the admin console I get "Request Failed" and the "Event Viewer"  shows "[All] Writing 0 bytes to devices".  Tried deleting, factory resets and even different model variations in the list."

I have three of these 6 button KPLs which I purchased used online that do still work.  At least two of them still work other than the inability to get the "LED Brightness" to work properly.  What do you think?

PhanTomiZ 

I'm pulling back from the *Time Machine* so some of my recollection may not be 100% accurate on some elements. Regardless during the evolution of Insteon many firmware (features) didn't exist. That could very well be the ability to adjust the LED brightness along with how the beep sounder operates.

Key things about the older KPL units is some of the units would blink the keys when there was a comm issue. Newer KPL's use the dual colored set button to offer the same. One specific issue you need to determine is what firmware those KPL's are using because there is one production run which caused endless headaches.

I am going to just offer a massive WAG (Wild Aszz Guess) it was firmware D or something similar. Do a search in the forums and you will see that specific model would saturate the powerline when not operating properly. Other things to consider for the hardware 1 release devices is when they lose power and when its restored.

Some model runs would pulse the load on and off and the KPL would make this really disconcerting sizzle noise. This noise literally sounded like the electronics were frying inside. Both of the above was Smartlabs first try at load detecting and wiring faults.

It didn't work out exactly as they hoped and hence the odd start up sequence and is easily seen with LED / CFL bulbs being in place. Also, different hardware 1 (firmware) had this really annoying *Last known state* which didn't always seem to stick. So, if there is a quick power blip even if the last state was off it may very well turn on.

You can mimic and test this behavior by short cycling the breakers . . .

Hope the above insight gives you some things to consider and test . . .

I'm pulling back from the *Time Machine* so some of my recollection may not be 100% accurate on some elements. Regardless during the evolution of Insteon many firmware (features) didn't exist. That could very well be the ability to adjust the LED brightness along with how the beep sounder operates.

Key things about the older KPL units is some of the units would blink the keys when there was a comm issue. Newer KPL's use the dual colored set button to offer the same. One specific issue you need to determine is what firmware those KPL's are using because there is one production run which caused endless headaches.

I am going to just offer a massive WAG (Wild Aszz Guess) it was firmware D or something similar. Do a search in the forums and you will see that specific model would saturate the powerline when not operating properly. Other things to consider for the hardware 1 release devices is when they lose power and when its restored.

Some model runs would pulse the load on and off and the KPL would make this really disconcerting sizzle noise. This noise literally sounded like the electronics were frying inside. Both of the above was Smartlabs first try at load detecting and wiring faults.

It didn't work out exactly as they hoped and hence the odd start up sequence and is easily seen with LED / CFL bulbs being in place. Also, different hardware 1 (firmware) had this really annoying *Last known state* which didn't always seem to stick. So, if there is a quick power blip even if the last state was off it may very well turn on.

You can mimic and test this behavior by short cycling the breakers . . .

Hope the above insight gives you some things to consider and test . . .

Sure does.  I'm using mine at the moment with Dimable LED lights with no flickering or sizzling observations (this would probably be because I'm using the lights with dimmer modules).  I did notice blinking of the keys when I first bench tested these units and only while writing to the device, but only with one of them.  

There is no beep sounder.

Load detection is not a problem as I don't have anything connected to the load.  Using scenes for all buttons.

Last know state worked on the bench test, but I haven't tried it now that it is installed.

I will use this one and will hold off on installing the others, while I wait and monitor for "funny" and "strange" things to happen in my home....

Thanks for the great insight and the walk down memory lane.

PhanTomiZ

Since your using these KPL's are more as a scene controller and status indicator many of the items I called out won't impact you. Before I learned how to repair the KPL's any of the devices that started acting funny were relegated to being used exactly as I described above as scene / status controller indicators.

The KPL you have on hand really doesn't have a beeper? If you turn the unit around there would be a copper colored disc that is the piezeo beeper.

Since your using these KPL's are more as a scene controller and status indicator many of the items I called out won't impact you. Before I learned how to repair the KPL's any of the devices that started acting funny were relegated to being used exactly as I described above as scene / status controller indicators.

The KPL you have on hand really doesn't have a beeper? If you turn the unit around there would be a copper colored disc that is the piezeo beeper.

This is correct.  There is no copper/brass colored disc.

I will have to get through your "diary" that you sent me a while back.  Just so much great information.  It has been opened as a tab since you sent it to me...

PhanTomiZ

This is correct.  There is no copper/brass colored disc.

I will have to get through your "diary" that you sent me a while back.  Just so much great information.  It has been opened as a tab since you sent it to me...

PhanTomiZ

OMG - Too funny!

There is nothing inherently wrong with the older KPLs that came with clear buttons. How are you attempting to adjust the LED brightness? Are they 6-button or 8-button KLPs?

They are 6 button KPL. The dim level shows 0 for off and 0 for off. This is at the lowest dim level for the keypad. Still I would prefer the ability to change this bUT I don't know how to do this. Tried the methods Mentioned above using both admin console and manually to no avail. I have 3 of these. I'm happy they work so if I can't dim the keypad would be no great loss. Now saying this, if you have a method of adjusting the dim level, I'm all ears...Eyes...;)

PhanTomiZ

Archived