Insteon 2441THR problems

TrojanHorse

I'm having problems with my Insteon 2441THR (refurb v.0F - say no more?)

I have it in my garage and it's not triggering heat.  It should be, and the thermostat display says it is "heating", and the temp is below the set point, but it is not heating.  I need to turn the mode to off, then heat for it to turn back on.  

I tried factory resetting it today (again), but I think this is a hardware problem.  I'm not controlling the setpoints via ISY at this point, but even if I did, the tstat says it is heating but it's not.  

Thoughts?  

I've felt the need to add a quick watchdog program, because in MN, garage heat is almost mission critical...

Tstat Fail Check Watchdog - [ID 010E][Parent 00CF][Run At Startup]

If
        Time is Last Run Time for 'Tstat Fail Check' +  1 hour 

Then
        Run Program 'Tstat Fail Check' (If)
        Send Notification to 'E_Text' content 'tstat fail check running'

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Tstat Fail Check - [ID 0033][Parent 00CF]

If
        Status  'Dvcs / Thermostats / Garage_TStat - Main' <= 40° (Temperature)
     Or (
             Status  'Dvcs / Thermostats / Garage_TStat - Main' <= 44° (Temperature)
         And Status  'Dvcs / Thermostats / Garage_TStat - Main' >= 45° (Heat Setpoint)
        )

Then
        Send Notification to 'E_Text' content 'Garage_Temperature'
        Send Notification to 'E_Gmail' content 'Garage_Temperature'

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Before you can expect any program to run, you need to ensure that the trigger device is running correctly. Describe the wiring to the thermostat and your heating system. Is it heating only?

It the thermostat doesn't call for heat when it indicates that it's heating, then the thermostat does not "work generally."

It the thermostat doesn't call for heat when it indicates that it's heating, then the thermostat does not "work generally."

Fair point. It works 95%+ of the time, but that's not enough. This was a refurbished unit.

Anyone else having this problem? I don't want to pay full price for one if this might still happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used three Insteon wired and four wireless thermostats with no difficulties. If you R product is not up to par, then ask a replacement (if you're still within the 30 day warranty).

There is a general problem with these units related to igniter voltage spikes. Some heating units can send a voltage spike down the 24vac lines when calling for heat. This particular brand and model of thermostat is not protected against it. I had this problem with my previous HVAC units and ended up having to switch to a different thermostat. My problems were intermittent like yours are. The problems would appear after a few heat calls. There's a fairly long thread about this topic on the forms here.

Paul

There is a general problem with these units related to igniter voltage spikes. Some heating units can send a voltage spike down the 24vac lines when calling for heat. This particular brand and model of thermostat is not protected against it. I had this problem with my previous HVAC units and ended up having to switch to a different thermostat. My problems were intermittent like yours are. The problems would appear after a few heat calls. There's a fairly long thread about this topic on the forms here.

Paul

Thanks Paul, that's helpful.  

I found the old thread I believe, searching for "voltage spike" helped me find the right one.  

Seems I'm not alone here, and when others have weird behavior (e.g switching modes) it's related to a voltage spike.  My garage heater is probably electrically noisy.  I think I will pass on replacing the tstat since it's not clear to me that either the new hardware or a non-refurbished unit will address the issue.  I might try the ethernet surge protector, but the difference in conductor size for RJ45 vs thermostat wire gives me some pause (maybe wrongly).  Or, I'll just go back to a dumb thermostat for the garage.  I could also write some ISY programs to help protect around the faulty thermostat (e.g. turn it off, wait, then back on if the temp is below is the setpoint for say 10 minutes).  Anyway, I'm only running this in the garage for heat so with spring/summer this will soon go to the back of the queue here...  

For reference, here's the link to the other thread I found.  

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/9105-a-new-2441th-issue/

Thanks to everyone here for your help as always!

Yeh I suppose it is hard to be 100% sure. I did have additional and more sever symptoms. I went through 3 of them in 2012 before finding out this. They were sure it was fw, which it wasn't.

Archived