What did you do today?

Scottmichaelj

What happened to that burnt orange colour you liked so much? I hated it but ended up with a CR-V in almost the same colour. 'Molten Lava'. Through certain store window glass it appears totally orange and I want take the plates off it, throw the starting dongle on the seat,  and walk away. Other days it's appears as a subdued (sub-dude?) red, and I like it once again.
See if I ever listen to you again, about cars or women! .

My 2017 Aston Martin DB11 was traded in for the Lambo. I do miss owning a Aston.
  • 2 weeks later...

How is the new house coming? Working your butt off I bet! Got mine up for sale now. Got one token looker in two weeks. Meanwhile the bottom end was selling like hotcakes. Friends listed their 1850 PoS, got multiple offers in less than a week and sold for $30K over with no conditions at all. Four houses sold on that same 5 block street in one week by our agent.

• 3 weeks later...

Not quite today, but got back from a cruise. One stop was St. Kitts where my Daughter and I went scuba diving.

The dive leader was spearing some lion fish which attracted some reef sharks - who were happy to pick the speared lion fish off the spear....

One such event had one of the sharks mistaking a dangling flashlight for a spear. A close call indeed....

4 hours ago, larryllix said:

My son experienced that outside the Bahamas years back. He ended up fighting the shark off by kicking it right in the nose. He said he wasn't giving up his catch held above his head while he swam on his back. :)

When you go pink (diving suit) the sharks don't blink.

• 1 year later...

It was actually not today, but I DID mess up earlier this week....

Starting on Tuesday, 3 of our bedroom lights went on a few minutes before 6 am, earlier than usual.  I checked whether I had made a mistake in one of the wake-up programs that I have in ISY, but could not find a mistake and decided that it was fluke.

On Wednesday the same thing happened again. I again checked each of my programs in detail and could not find anything.  On Thursday, the same again and now I was really annoyed, but this time I noticed the exact time that it happened 5:52 am...... 

Suddenly a light (?) went on in my head and looked at the routines in my Google Assistant App and there it was.....  I had changed the name of one  of my Chromecast devices from "Master Audio" to "Bedroom"  and then changed the name again to "Bathroom Chromecast" the bathroom being where this Chromecast actually streams music. However, when changing the name of the Chromecast a second time, I had forgotten to change the routine that sets the audio volume  at 5:52 am.  So the routine remained at " Set Bedroom to 4"  (intending to set the Chromecast volume to 40%, as Chromecast volumes go from 1 to 10) and was interpreted to set anything in the bedroom to 4.  And indeed the 3 lights had gone on at low level. I still must check why only 3 of about 7 lights in the master bedroom did go on, but that is probably related to how I have defined the Spokens in ISY Portal.

The moral of the story......   When I could not find anything in the ISY programs that did switch on the 3 lights, my thought was that after all the ISY system is not perfect. But the reality is that I was the imperfect one, because garbage in, garbage out. 

12 hours ago, asbril said:

It was actually not today, but I DID mess up earlier this week....

Starting on Tuesday, 3 of our bedroom lights went on a few minutes before 6 am, earlier than usual.  I checked whether I had made a mistake in one of the wake-up programs that I have in ISY, but could not find a mistake and decided that it was fluke.

On Wednesday the same thing happened again. I again checked each of my programs in detail and could not find anything.  On Thursday, the same again and now I was really annoyed, but this time I noticed the exact time that it happened 5:52 am...... 

Suddenly a light (?) went on in my head and looked at the routines in my Google Assistant App and there it was.....  I had changed the name of one  of my Chromecast devices from "Master Audio" to "Bedroom"  and then changed the name again to "Bathroom Chromecast" where this Chromecast actually streams music. However, when changing the name of the Chromecast a second time, I had forgotten to change the routine that sets the audio volume  at 5:52 am.  So the routine remained at " Set Bedroom to 4"  (intending to set the Chromecast volume to 40%, as Chromecast volumes go from 1 to 10) was interpreted to set anything in the bedroom to 4.  And indeed the 3 lights had gone on at low level. I still must check why only 3 of about 7 lights in the master bedroom had gone on, but that it probably related to how I had defined the Spokens in ISY Portal.

The moral of the story......   When I could not find anything in the ISY programs that did switch on the 3 lights, my thought was that after all the ISY system is not perfect. But the reality is that I was the imperfect one, because garbage in, garbage out. 

While I did not follow all your logic, the problem has gotten us all at some time or another. It is the vaccine to keep troubleshooting skills sharp.

I did something new (to me) today - went to a ham fest.

I did not succeed in buying what I went there to look for, however just the fact that a real, actual physical event was occurring was enough to be happy about.

amateur radio ?

Yes.

When I was a kid in the UK I did the test, but never applied for my license. A few months ago I responded to our local County Director of emergency management who posted about doing classes on zoom - and I thought what the heck. Might as well get that done finally.

Got thru doing the Tech and General tests. Think I’ll wait a few years before upgrading to the Extra though.

`

13 minutes ago, MWareman said:

Yes.

When I was a kid in the UK I did the test, but never applied for my license. A few months ago I responded to our local County Director of emergency management who posted about doing classes on zoom - and I thought what the heck. Might as well get that done finally.

Got thru doing the Tech and General tests. Think I’ll wait a few years before upgrading to the Extra though.

Home automation and Amateur radio are my two hobbies. I have had my Tech license since 2009 and one day will go for General. I will pm you my call sign .

Archived