Alexa control of an ISY directly or using Mobilinc

GreyFox

I am a long time user of Universal Devices ISY. I started with the 99 and have upgraded to the 994. My ISYs control Insteon devices I am also a user of the Amazon Dot/Echo devices. While I have taken the time to integrate the ISY/Insteon devices with my Elk alarm panel, I have yet to tackle the integration with the Dot/Echo devices. I see from poking around on the Internet that it appears that I am able to do this either by having the Dot/Echo device working directly with the ISYs, or working through my Mobilinc Pro app. My question is what are the pros and cons for either choice? Which works better?

I am sure whichever path I follow it will be complicated. I have more than one house, and each house has more than one Dot/Echo device. It's a shame no one ever taught me that increasing the flexibility and power increases the complexity by the square of the flexibility and power increases. :shock:

I am a long time user of Universal Devices ISY. I started with the 99 and have upgraded to the 994. My ISYs control Insteon devices I am also a user of the Amazon Dot/Echo devices. While I have taken the time to integrate the ISY/Insteon devices with my Elk alarm panel, I have yet to tackle the integration with the Dot/Echo devices. I see from poking around on the Internet that it appears that I am able to do this either by having the Dot/Echo device working directly with the ISYs, or working through my Mobilinc Pro app. My question is what are the pros and cons for either choice? Which works better?

I am sure whichever path I follow it will be complicated. I have more than one house, and each house has more than one Dot/Echo device. It's a shame no one ever taught me that increasing the flexibility and power increases the complexity by the square of the flexibility and power increases. :shock:

It really comes down to two choices. Using the ISY portal or MobiLinc portal.

Look at this discussion for details,

UDI vs Mobilinc smart home skill

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=23986&share_tid=21339&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Euniversal-devices%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F21339-UDI-vs-Mobilinc-smart-home-skill&share_type=t

Archived