CAO Sensors tag manager not online

chrishick

You get things working?

No, I gave up trying to get it to communicate through the Actiontec router. The email support I was receiving from CAO just stopped so I guess they gave up?

My new plan is to configure the Actiontec to bridge mode so that my Netgear router becomes my primary behind the bridge. I tried that once and failed, but I know it can be done.

My current config  Verizon ONT-------------->Actiontec router w/ethernet switch and DHCP server-------------- >Netgear router in wireless access point mode

New config            Verizon ONT-------------->Actiontec router in bridge mode------------------------------------------>Netgear router w/ethernet/wifi and DHCP server

The Actiontec passes all traffic through and the ISP assigned IP address becomes the WAN address of the Netgear router.

No, I gave up trying to get it to communicate through the Actiontec router. The email support I was receiving from CAO just stopped so I guess they gave up?

My new plan is to configure the Actiontec to bridge mode so that my Netgear router becomes my primary behind the bridge. I tried that once and failed, but I know it can be done.

My current config  Verizon ONT-------------->Actiontec router w/ethernet switch and DHCP server-------------- >Netgear router in wireless access point mode

New config            Verizon ONT-------------->Actiontec router in bridge mode------------------------------------------>Netgear router w/ethernet/wifi and DHCP server

The Actiontec passes all traffic through and the ISP assigned IP address becomes the WAN address of the Netgear router.

I tried everything I could think of and found in manuals and instructional forum with no luck.

In the end, in two attempts over months, now, the only way I can make my Cisco (DD-WRT) co-exist with my ASUS (native) is to share the same SSID and password. They must have some distance between them so they don't clash too hard. 

Port forwarding from outside via the two routers always works with the device's correct IP addresses though. IP reservation table work in the master ASUS for the remote devices also.  This is despite the master ASUS router only showing 1 IP address for all the units hard connected to the Cisco but always shows an extra digit beside the ID showing how many units are connected through it.

I tried all the bridge modes and access points and none of them ever worked for me after a few weeks of studying the things.

Yeah I have wireless turned off on the 1st router and only use the wifi through the 2nd router. The 2nd router just acts as a switch and all DHCP is handled by the 1st router so I don't have any clashes to deal with, they get along well.

Maybe as a test I'll switch wifi back to the 1st router and remove the 2nd router all together just to see if there is something going on that might be affecting the tag manager. I doubt it since I have close to 100 other devices that work perfectly, but it doesn't hurt to try at this point.

Yeah I have wireless turned off on the 1st router and only use the wifi through the 2nd router. The 2nd router just acts as a switch and all DHCP is handled by the 1st router so I don't have any clashes to deal with, they get along well.

Maybe as a test I'll switch wifi back to the 1st router and remove the 2nd router all together just to see if there is something going on that might be affecting the tag manager. I doubt it since I have close to 100 other devices that work perfectly, but it doesn't hurt to try at this point.

In my setup I have to have both WiFis turned on because that is how they talk to each other.

• 1 month later...

I finally got things working, it's been online for 3 days straight now without a hiccup.

Since I am on FIOS I have an ONT (optical network terminal) on the outside of the house with a coax MOCA connection to the router which locked me into using the FIOS MOCA router.

I called Frontier and had them disable the MOCA port on the ONT and turn on the Ethernet port. I then ran a new cat5 line inside and hooked up my Netgear nighthawk AC1900 router. Tossed the FIOS MOCA router into the trash and problem solved.

I've been wanting to migrate to an all ethernet network anyway so it was a win/win.

Might want to keep that MOCA for ethernet over coax so you don't have to run more lines if you need internet somewhere. I guess you could use powerline and wifi.

Yeah I thought about that, but it would probably be too difficult to bridge the moca/ethernet on the router and anyway I have 2 spare moca/ethernet adapters that require zero configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally got things working, it's been online for 3 days straight now without a hiccup.

Since I am on FIOS I have an ONT (optical network terminal) on the outside of the house with a coax MOCA connection to the router which locked me into using the FIOS MOCA router.

I called Frontier and had them disable the MOCA port on the ONT and turn on the Ethernet port. I then ran a new cat5 line inside and hooked up my Netgear nighthawk AC1900 router. Tossed the FIOS MOCA router into the trash and problem solved.

I've been wanting to migrate to an all ethernet network anyway so it was a win/win.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900.  The ventilation with them sitting horizontal on a table  doesn't seem to be adequate for summer months and mine overheated. This caused me a lot of grief for a long time trying to find this problem.

I finally placed a CAO Tag on the surface of the router, and every time the temperature hit 42C my LAN started crapping out. My printer would stating warming up doing it's self-checks and devices would disconnect and heal etc..

If you can keep it cool enough it's a great router. I also found the antennae are not sufficient to turn on the 5Gz and 2.4GHz to 100% simultaneously. It now works much better at about 25 or 50% with much better range on the 5GHz, strangely enough. From what I can figure the signals must be overloading the capabilities of the antennae system.

I had so much trouble with this router I bought an Asus to replace it. I thought it was the power supply crapping out but when I would change PSs it would cool down and work for a few days again. I have it back working again now and it works fine in the winter or if I keep a stream of air through it in the summer.

It really needs to be mounted vertically due the bad ventilation design when horizontal.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900.  The ventilation with them sitting horizontal on a table  doesn't seem to be adequate for summer months and mine overheated. This caused me a lot of grief for a long time trying to find this problem.

I finally placed a CAO Tag on the surface of the router, and every time the temperature hit 42C my LAN started crapping out. My printer would stating warming up doing it's self-checks and devices would disconnect and heal etc..

If you can keep it cool enough it's a great router. I also found the antennae are not sufficient to turn on the 5Gz and 2.4GHz to 100% simultaneously. It now works much better at about 25 or 50% with much better range on the 5GHz, strangely enough. From what I can figure the signals must be overloading the capabilities of the antennae system.

I had so much trouble with this router I bought an Asus to replace it. I thought it was the power supply crapping out but when I would change PSs it would cool down and work for a few days again. I have it back working again now and it works fine in the winter or if I keep a stream of air through it in the summer.

It really needs to be mounted vertically due the bad ventilation design when horizontal.

Hmm, I've never noticed mine being hot at all. I'll have to check it when I get home tonight.

I've heard great things about the Asus routers and may upgrade in the future mainly because I don't like the DD-WRT interface. It looks like asuswrt merlin is much more user friendly.

Hmm, I've never noticed mine being hot at all. I'll have to check it when I get home tonight.

I've heard great things about the Asus routers and may upgrade in the future mainly because I don't like the DD-WRT interface. It looks like asuswrt merlin is much more user friendly.

I recently thought about switching my Asus to Merlin to resolve dropping the WiFi frequently but after reading user complaints many have reported it did not help the problems.

However I did find one thing that has solved my router drop out problems. With the Asus router you can reserve too much QoS bandwidth and when to many QoS app are running the router just shuts down.

It runs much better with the automatic QoS (oxymoron) or just shut the nonsense off completely for everything except your VOIP, with minimal bandwidth reservation, as needed.

Archived