Cannot link 2420M Motion Sensor

So, I am rebuilding my Insteon/ISY network from scratch.   I have all the hardwired devices working and generally things are working pretty well.   Now, when I try to link my motion sensors, I cannot get any of them to respond.

Have tried factory resetting them.   I know you have to put them in linking mode.   I have tried an existing 2420m V1.0 that worked previously, and a "new" 2420M V1.1 fresh out of the box--same results.

I have tried them close to the dual-band PLM, far from it.  Close to dual band devices, and far from them.   Fresh batteries.  Jumper 5 is on.  I tried linking a RemoteLinc, and also could not get it to respond.

Despite probably having 20 dual-mode devices around the house, it is almost like the whole system is not "receiving" wireless Insteon.  

I am not even sure where to begin to troubleshoot this.

Any and all suggestions welcome.   Thanks.

The original RemoteLinc (2440) often needs to be very, very far from the PLM and within range of any dual-band  device to accomplish linking. I have one (of 7) that needs to be more than 40' distant, the others linked between 20' and 30'.

I haven't had any difficulties linking the older Motion Sensors (2420M) at any distance. I usually use Start Linking (rotating arrows icon0.

Thanks for the suggestions.   It turns out my wired network may not be as solid as I though.   The reboot suggestion led me down this path, so thanks again for that.

I have some kind of intermittent problem that is proving almost impossible to track down.   Here is a simple example (see attached).  I commanded a light off from the ISY UI.  Almost 10 minutes (yes, minutes!), later the light went off.

I cannot tell from the Event Viewer window what is happening.   Is the PLM retrying all this time?  Is the ISY slowing to a crawl, as others have reported (v5.0. 8)?

I have everything unplugged and keep messing around with shutting off breakers, but just can't get this nailed down.   So frustrating.

post-5816-0-34078500-1489836570_thumb.png

Almost every times a load can be turned in but not off correctly or in a timely fashion it's the attached load.

What kind of load is it: CFL, LED, Florescent, Transformer / Ballast?

Remove the load completely and confirm the two things. Does the switch operate completely turning on-off locally? If yes go to the admin console and do the same.

If it operates fine without any load insert a standard incandescent bulb inside and rinse and repeat. If both operate fine the problem is the bulb in use before.

Lastly, always confirm the 4 tap beacon test outlined in the 2413S PLM of any dual band full users manual to confirm proper coupling / bridging of the split single phase electrical system in the home.

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

Archived