Insteon vs Homelink

Hi.

I have a Homelink device in my car that can handle up to tree different RF transmitters. One of them has been already match with my garage door controller.

I would like to use the 2 other RF transmitters to match 2 different Insteon devices. The controller for my Insteon devices is a ISY 994i.

Since both RF signals (Homelink vs Insteon) are not in the same range, I would like to know if there is a way to make that happen.

Thanks

Jack

Jack,

Here is my set up:

In addition to the garage door opener I purchased Liftmaster 850LM

I connected I\O links to 850ML

Wrote a program to activate scenes depending on the whichever sensor is getting activated.

I know that requires more equipment but I was able to accomplish whatever I wanted.

Example:

in the car one button is for the garage; one for scene that turns lights on in the house and third for arm-away, turn off the lights etc.

Maybe somebody will have different solution.

Homelink can send X10 signals. Create a program using an X10 house/unit code as a trigger. You do not need an actual X10 module to accomplish that.

Thanks for your replies.

Sorry, I'm not to familiar with X10 stuff and program related to it.

Do you know where I can find examples of programs using X10 house/unit code related to my needs  ?

Also do I need  X10 module to run these?

Jack

If you have no X10 RF receiver now.

You will need an X10 Tranceiver to take the X10 RF command and put it on the power line for the ISY994i to receive through the PLM.

An X10 TM751 or X10Pro PAT02 are the basic ones. Internal relay output can only be turned On and Off by an RF X10 command.

An X10 RR501 or X10Pro PAT01 are a step above. As they also have an X10 power line receiver in them so the ISY994i could turn  On or Off the internal relay output  by a power line signal or RF signal.

Marcin, I have always wondered if something like that would work.  Now I know.

Regarding X10, unless I am mistaken, you will also need an X-10 remote (in addition to the transciever), from which the car can learn the command.  Is there another way to teach the car such a command?

Hi.

I have a Homelink device in my car that can handle up to tree different RF transmitters. One of them has been already match with my garage door controller.

I would like to use the 2 other RF transmitters to match 2 different Insteon devices. The controller for my Insteon devices is a ISY 994i.

Since both RF signals (Homelink vs Insteon) are not in the same range, I would like to know if there is a way to make that happen.

Thanks

Jack

I have a write up on this here:

HomeLink and ISY

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=23986&share_tid=16092&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Euniversal-devices%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F16092-HomeLink-and-ISY&share_type=t

I'm currently using one of the HomeLink buttons in my car to control some of my outside lights. I'm migrating from my current setup to a new ISY this weekend, and I imagine my current setup be will even more reliable when I do so.

You may want to use bits and pieces of my current setup:

All of my outside lights are controlled by older Insteon switches and dimmers, and they all have X10 addresses. I have an X10 1132cu that stores X10 macros, as well as an Insteon Hub (newer version). I believe I will be able to replace the 1132cu and Hub with my new ISY.

I have an X10 RF receiver (PAT01) that receives the X10 signal from my car, sends it to the 1132cu which in turn executes a macro sending X10 signals to my outside lights.

To program the HomeLink system in my car, I used an X10 HR12A transmitter.

A quick Google search just now showed that both units (PAT01 and HR12A) can be had for a total of about $45.

Thank you all for your help

If I summarize: With my ISY994i and with the addition of the following items, X10 PAT01 (transceiver) and X10 KR19A (remote) , I should be able to meet my needs as expressed at the very beginning of this topic, am I right ?

My next concern would be : how do I program the ISY 994i to work with the transceiver ?

Jack

Can't help you with the programming part yet, but I recommend the HR12A instead of the KR19A if you can get your hands on one.  

It has a stronger signal, more buttons and is the same price (about $20).

The PAT01/RR501 sends an X10 power line command the ISY994is PLM. That  can then use for programs.

One point. X10 power line signals are not passed between modules. Like an Insteon one is. So the X10 power line signal has to reach from the PAT01/RR501 to the PLM location. Phase Coupling, noise makers or signal suckers. Can effect X10 power line signals.

Here is a Wiki link to the X10 section.

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:How-To_Guide#X-10

Can't help you with the programming part yet, but I recommend the HR12A instead of the KR19A if you can get your hands on one.  

It has a stronger signal, more buttons and is the same price (about $20).

You picked up a small bug on your system!

Good one! LOL

Guys if you look at my thread you don't need X10 and can do this cleaner with Insteon. I also posted programs.

With what I described (X10 stuff), I'm able to control lights from my car without opening my garage doors - which is what I think the OP wants to do.  

Does the IOLInc you use in your solution allow for that? I got a little lost while reading your thread.

Hope my sig doesn't bug anyone here...

You did get me quite well on that one!

Have to admit, laying down i tried to squash the bug on my screen with my finger.

Then I realised it was software and started to think about a process to investigate a virus.

Only after I right clicked on it and saved the image I realised it was a GIF file.

I haven't used animated GIF files since the old 1970-80s chat rooms.

Well done! :)

With what I described (X10 stuff), I'm able to control lights from my car without opening my garage doors - which is what I think the OP wants to do.  

Does the IOLInc you use in your solution allow for that? I got a little lost while reading your thread.

Yes you can use the IOLinc to do whatever you need to do. IOLinc on do X - IOLinc Off do Y. No X10. Plus Homelink requires Security+ remotes now at least in newer cars so the Liftmaster way is more solid IMHO

As far as the programming goes, i expect it to be as simple as

If

X10 command is received

Then

Do something

Of course, if you pursue the "cleaner" insteon approach, thw programming, if any, would be different.

Personally, i find the x10 appeoach cleaner (no need to wire two devices together). But...x10 commands not as reliable...communication across legs of electrical system...not as secure (can anyone wirh an x10 remote now control your house.

Either aporoach should work, however.

Yes you can use the IOLinc to do whatever you need to do. IOLinc on do X - IOLinc Off do Y. No X10. Plus Homelink requires Security+ remotes now at least in newer cars so the Liftmaster way is more solid IMHO

Thanks for getting back to me.  I don't want to hijack this thread, but how would the OP control a light by pressing a Homelink button in his car just by adding an IOLinc? I thought the IOLink can only read sensors.

I'm also interested in this, by the way, as I have a similar need as the OP. There are times when want to turn the outside lights on as we are driving away from the house after having forgotten to turn them on before we leave.

Thanks for getting back to me.  I don't want to hijack this thread, but how would the OP control a light by pressing a Homelink button in his car just by adding an IOLinc? I thought the IOLink can only read sensors.

I'm also interested in this, by the way, as I have a similar need as the OP. There are times when want to turn the outside lights on as we are driving away from the house after having forgotten to turn them on before we leave.

Basically by adding the Liftmaster device, there are two leads normally that go to open/close connections on the GDO. Instead you take the leads and put them in the IOLinc. Press the homelink button and the GDO "opens" or "closes" and turns the IOLinc on. Then just write a program to do whatever you want. You can run programs, scenes, turn on/off devices, run an away mode to set thermostats etc. Its just a simple program that says IF the IOLINC is ON then run this program or OFF run this program (or not do anything). Its very simple and works directly with homelink and the security plus.  You can also add a Pushover notification so that when you press the button on the homelink you confirm the program has run as well.

Basically by adding the Liftmaster device, there are two leads normally that go to open/close connections on the GDO. Instead you take the leads and put them in the IOLinc. Press the homelink button and the GDO "opens" or "closes" and turns the IOLinc on. Then just write a program to do whatever you want. You can run programs, scenes, turn on/off devices, run an away mode to set thermostats etc. Its just a simple program that says IF the IOLINC is ON then run this program or OFF run this program (or not do anything). Its very simple and works directly with homelink and the security plus.  You can also add a Pushover notification so that when you press the button on the homelink you confirm the program has run as well.

Got it - missed the bit about the Liftmaster 635LM.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Thanks

Jack

Hi

I finally obtain a X10 PAT01 transceiver and a kr19A keychain remote.

I plugged the PAT01 into the room above the garage, with the antenna completely out and I made sure it was working with the remote keychain.

With a simple program I succeeded in turning on an Insteon device.

As soon as I left the room (in the room beside), I realized that the remote could not manage to operate the PAT01 (on and off).

Also I could not pair the keychain remote with a free homelink button in my car as I did with the GDO remote.

Unless I'm wrong, I notice that the quality of the signal of these x10 devices is very poor and I am disappointed about the product.

Comments or idea are welcome .

thanks

Jack

Hi

I finally obtain a X10 PAT01 transceiver and a kr19A keychain remote.

I plugged the PAT01 into the room above the garage, with the antenna completely out and I made sure it was working with the remote keychain.

With a simple program I succeeded in turning on an Insteon device.

As soon as I left the room (in the room beside), I realized that the remote could not manage to operate the PAT01 (on and off).

Also I could not pair the keychain remote with a free homelink button in my car as I did with the GDO remote.

Unless I'm wrong, I notice that the quality of the signal of these x10 devices is very poor and I am disappointed about the product.

Comments or idea are welcome .

thanks

Jack

Jack, I think the better route is my suggestion using the Homelink with a GDO controller on a IOLinc somewhere in the garage. I found that combo to be the best, longest range and most reliable. I had the Black & Decker Freewire and it was hit and miss with X10. Signal strength depends on factors like outside the house materials, garage door being insulated, etc. Homelink with the 635 seems to work.

I did not have an issue with pairing the Homelink in my car using my HR12A.  

And I do not care how strong of a signal the thing has any longer, as it's only the car that transmits to my receiver.  My car seems to have a very strong signal - it can reach my receiver over a much greater distance than my HR12A.

When I used my HR12A for other things, it could reach receivers 2 or 3 rooms away.

Jack, I think the better route is my suggestion using the Homelink with a GDO controller on a IOLinc somewhere in the garage. I found that combo to be the best, longest range and most reliable. I had the Black & Decker Freewire and it was hit and miss with X10. Signal strength depends on factors like outside the house materials, garage door being insulated, etc. Homelink with the 635 seems to work.

If I unsderstand well your point, that means the trigger would be an open or close garage door (through the GDO and the IOlinc ). But I only want to open an Insteon light device with a free Homelink button, without having to open or close the garage door.

Archived